modding fz6 vs a new bike

Sweeney_Todd

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone

So the other day I found this 1998 kawasaki zx9r for sale, went to see it. The bike doesn't have fairings because the owner was gonna go naked, which doesn't bother me cause I would do it too. That zx9 is 1200$ and I'd need another 300-400 to get it done (naked).
OR
do some mods to my fz6, like aftermarket exhaust, power commander, more comfortable seat, some hard cases, possibly "naked" mod, different levers, led lights.

What do you guys think?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
mod the fz6

there is very little the fz6 can't do almost as well as dedicated machines with some mods. plus its always cheaper to just mod to pad it's abilities.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the Zx9 of 1998 was only 141 hp and carburated..it would be a step back from the FZ6 IMO....mod the FZ6 you will have an all around better bike... :BLAA: :rockon:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
mod the fz6

there is very little the fz6 can't do almost as well as dedicated machines with some mods. plus its always cheaper to just mod to pad it's abilities.

+1! I was considering other bikes too not too long ago, but I'm glad I decided to mod my FZ6 instead.

Sweeney_Todd

Reaction score
Visit site
the Zx9 of 1998 was only 141 hp and carburated..it would be a step back from the FZ6 IMO....mod the FZ6 you will have an all around better bike... :BLAA: :rockon:

Step back?! In what way? because of the carb?

I'm not looking for an upgrade but more of project, something to do during the winter.

Hey Erci, what bike have you had in mind?

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I'm not looking for an upgrade but more of project, something to do during the winter.

Well you were'nt

very clear with your intentions of wanting to buy the Kawasaki...I assumed you were thinking of replaceing the FZ6 with it....so now I know what you want to do with it.....why not buy it and make it into a coffee table if you feel the need.....Its your project and you can allways make more money to mod your FZ6 later.... now if you were asking would you be able to get your money back later for the naked Kawasaki once its finished....I would say no..but you will allways have the gained knowledge and the pride from the build regardless... :rockon: :thumbup:

TAPnTX

Reaction score
Visit site

Go for it, I have a 2001 ZR7s in my garage as a project now. It really was not in that bad of shape, just faded paint and only 2k miles on the clock. It still had its original tires on it. It just needed a good cleaning and some fresh paint. I am in the process of the paint work, it is a great bike. Like the FZ6 just a good solid bike that is just a lot of fun to ride. I have the front fender for it, I just for got to put it back on for the pics.

These are the before pics, it has a few Whiskey dent in the plastic but no broken tabs, just some scratches.

100_0188-1.jpg

100_0189.jpg

100_0190.jpg

100_0192.jpg

100_0193.jpg

I love having some kind of project in the garage.

Todd

Sweeney_Todd

Reaction score
Visit site
The bike has been sold. Someone offered a better price. I'm gonna mod my fz6. thanks guys.
Hey TAPnTX, nice bike, almost like fz6.

TAPnTX

Reaction score
Visit site
The bike has been sold. Someone offered a better price. I'm gonna mod my fz6. thanks guys.
Hey TAPnTX, nice bike, almost like fz6.

Yea, it has a really low seat height and is carb'd, but really comfy. Before I took it apart to paint it, I did a little ride 152 miles non stop and it used less than 3 gallons of gas. Should make someone a great bike for commuting this Spring with gas prices going up.

Have fun with the FZ6 Mods. :thumbup:

Todd