Motodynamics

Chapin

Reaction score
Visit site
So I've had the motodynamics integrated tail light installed for a couple months now. Last night I noticed while holding the brakes the tail light continues to flash intermittently. It seems like I'll hold the brakes and after 5-10 seconds it will blink rapidly then go back to brake light. Now I just went and checked again., held the brakes for about 30 seconds and it worked fine. (no flashing)
I have led turn signals on the back and front wired to work with the light. It was all installed at the dealership so I cant really tell you what wires are where.
Any ideas what could be causing this intermittent flash while breaking?

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have one too. I'm pretty sure that is a feature of the tail light, as mine does the same. I found a video on you tube, is yours going the same as this one?
YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chapin

Reaction score
Visit site
I have one too. I'm pretty sure that is a feature of the tail light, as mine does the same. I found a video on you tube, is yours going the same as this one?
YouTube

That one seems to be working properly. Mine still does the 3 quick flashes initially. BUT after those 3 initial flashes the light should just stay solid red while you are still holding the break. I'll hold the break and I have the solid red light. But eventually it does its 3 quick flashes on and off while the break light is still lit.
It flashes even though I haven't taken my hand off the breaks.

Has anyone here ever held their breaks for like a minute and watched their motodynamics light?

Last edited:

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine does not do that. It stays solid after the initial flashes for as long as u press the brake.

I believe u see this because the engine is running and is fluctuating the current going through the unit.

Try to hold the brake while engine on and off. You will probably see a difference. The same applies for the turn signals flashing in proper sequence. Motordynamic had sent me a capacitor to clip in the cable to fix the issue. It's been working well since.

Chapin

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine does not do that. It stays solid after the initial flashes for as long as u press the brake.

I believe u see this because the engine is running and is fluctuating the current going through the unit.

Try to hold the brake while engine on and off. You will probably see a difference. The same applies for the turn signals flashing in proper sequence. Motordynamic had sent me a capacitor to clip in the cable to fix the issue. It's been working well since.

I just tried it with the engine off. Everything worked. Tried it with the engine on and everything worked?! Its weird. Anyways just before I tried the engine on/off test I took a video. I started the bike from cold and the problem was there. Here's the video.
[video=youtube_share;c915Dldbxss]https://youtu.be/c915Dldbxss[/video]

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe look up the instructions, I seem to remember something about an optional setting to have it flash like that while waiting at a stop. I checked mine earlier and it didn't do that either, but I don't think I went for the option. I'm headed out right now, but I'll look for the instructions later.

Chapin

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive checked the FAQ on the motodynamics site and found this :

Q9: I noticed the Stop Alert for the brakes is randomly activating while I am PRESSING and HOLDING the brakes while the engine is ON. It does not happen when the engine is off. What is the issue?
A9: Some Kawasaki, Yamaha and Ducati motorcycles experience this and it is caused by a voltage dropping issue. If it drops below the threshold to maintain a solid brake it will reset everytime. We developed a voltage stabilizer kit just for this reason and we started to included them in our tail light kits. If you ordered this tail light recently it should have been included, if not please provide us your order number we will ship it to you free of charge.

So it sounds just like what you were talking about - Elus1ve - What does the voltage stabilizer look like and how is it installed? I dont think it was included in my kit.

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^ That's what I was thinking of, I couldn't remember if it was an option. I got mine in March, so I think it's a newer kit and it came with that part.

Chapin

Reaction score
Visit site

Try to hold the brake while engine on and off. You will probably see a difference. The same applies for the turn signals flashing in proper sequence. Motordynamic had sent me a capacitor to clamp in the cable to fix the issue. It's been working well since.

OK after some searching around the apt I found the stabilizer kit. On it it says to clamp the white wire with the white one (break light) and the black with the black (ground) it says to clamp it on the tail light main harness. What do they mean by tail light main harness? Is this where I want to clamp?
20150903_101906.jpg

Last edited:

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
OK after some searching around the apt I found the stabilizer kit. On it it says to clamp the white wire with the white one (break light) and the black with the black (ground) it says to clamp it on the tail light main harness. What do they mean by tail light main harness? Is this where I want to clamp?
View attachment 65271

Yeah this is the harness where u need to clamp the capacitor to. That should work to stabilise the current.

Chapin

Reaction score
Visit site
UPDATE: the stabilizer that comes with the tail light kit did not fix the issue! I contacted Motodynamics and they sent me a larger stabilizer.
Installed a couple days ago and so far has worked great!

Last edited: