Motoport / Cycleport

ADVdrming

Superstar
Reaction score
Visit site
I know this place popped up a couple times before, but I thought I'd do a post on my shopping experience with them.

Motoport is apparently one of the few places on the market that sell true kevlar products. According to them, and testimonials from some customers, the impact and abrasion protection of the kevlar products is superior to anything else on the market today. It also does not have the problem of diminishing protection factor of leather due to weather conditions / accidents etc. They also take in your gear if you sustained an accident, and either fix it or replace it for free. Same for wear and tear, you send in their gear and they'll fix it up for you.

So, at least based on the feedback I was able to gather, they seem to have one of the best products out there.

My gf and I went in last night to order a couple of riding pants. Unfortunately, we were only able to go in after hours, but they were very accommodating (typically close at 5, they had no problem scheduling an appointment with us for 630). Thanks for making us feel like you want our business :thumbup:

We were assisted by Wayne (Motoport's CEO), who was very helpful in getting us the right product, measurements, etc w/out any rush. I hate sales people who try and rush you into a purchase. He took his time, explained the product to us, walked us through the manufacturing process, demoed the different pieces that go into the gear, and even gave us a tour of the facility, since most manufacturing is done here in SD. Apparently the company started back in the 60s in Germany, and found out that BMW used to use their products for a few years when they first entered the apparel market, until they brought it in-house.

Wayne was very open and even talked about his business and marketing strategy, explaining why he likes to keep it a small business targeting the population out there that knows and wants their products, as opposed to trying to hit the main stream market. Apparently a growing number of law enforcement agencies are using their gear (NY and other East Coast cities); Ontario, Murrieta & a few others in Cali and on the West Coast.

Their products are not the cheapest up-front, but doing the math with their essentially life-time free maintenance of the gear et al, it seems the cost will pay for itself on the long term. Hence, for us, a good investment in protection. According to them, they are averaging between 4-6 crashes per week where the gear performs wonderfully, the riders survive without injuries, and the gear just needs a touch-up and you’re ready to go.

For their customer service, I give them an A+. For the quality of their product and based on feedback on the protective attributes, I would give them an A+ as well.

I am interested in any feedback any of you might have on the product. If you have any, please share.

Cheers everyone, and ride safely! :rockon:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes Wayne is definitely and great guy. I also got to meet him a few months ago to by the Kevlar gloves and will probably get the GP pants from him now that I'll be needing cooler gear for the 100+deg.F riding we'll be doing. Yes he also was kind enough to give a rundown of some of the history behind his business.
We're kind of lucky cuz we can go direct for fitting but from what I understand he asks for a pair of jeans from you for fitting if you're not able to be there.
I also had a good experience there.:rockon:

I found out about him from two friends the bought jacket,pants and gloves from Cycleport.

Last edited:

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have delt with them a lot in the past couple of years. Actually there office is a couple of miles from my office in Tualatin Oregon. The Motorcycle Superstores office is also in Oregon in Medford. I still think they both ship from somewhere else in the USA. Motosport has been really good to work with and I would give them :thumbup::thumbup:.

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
i have had the same experience as you did, Wayne showed me around, offered no pressure, only his constructive input.

ADVdrming

Superstar
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes Wayne is definitely and great guy. I also got to meet him a few months ago to by the Kevlar gloves and will probably get the GP pants from him now that I'll be needing cooler gear for the 100+deg.F riding we'll be doing. Yes he also was kind enough to give a rundown of some of the history behind his business.
We're kind of lucky cuz we can go direct for fitting but from what I understand he asks for a pair of jeans from you for fitting if you're not able to be there.
I also had a good experience there.:rockon:

I found out about him from two friends the bought jacket,pants and gloves from Cycleport.

I was actually looking at their kevlar gloves and am very tempted :D I'm getting frustrated with the current ones i have (a pair of alpine stars and a pair of scorpions). They just don't seem very durable, so I was thinking... why not? If it works for the pants, why not for the gloves.

What is your experience with the gloves?

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
the gloves are nice, they fit very well, almost a custom fit for me (due to the strechiness of the material)....although i do have one complaint. i have lost most tactile feeling when wearing the kevlar gloves, and on occasion, the clutch/brake lever slip off the tip of my finger....my previous gloves were Lee Parks deerskin gloves, and i could cinch my helmet strap with the gloves on, and clip the end of the strap to the D ring (shoei RF1000 helmet)...i cant do that with the kevlar gloves.

supposedly, Motoport also has a pair of insulated kevlar gloves that are not listed on their website...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
the gloves are nice, they fit very well, almost a custom fit for me (due to the strechiness of the material)....although i do have one complaint. i have lost most tactile feeling when wearing the kevlar gloves, and on occasion, the clutch/brake lever slip off the tip of my finger....my previous gloves were Lee Parks deerskin gloves, and i could cinch my helmet strap with the gloves on, and clip the end of the strap to the D ring (shoei RF1000 helmet)...i cant do that with the kevlar gloves.

supposedly, Motoport also has a pair of insulated kevlar gloves that are not listed on their website...

That is the downfall of the Kevlar gloves. Loss of tactile feel and when you get sweaty they become much harder to get on and off especially if yoy need to get going quickly and you're in a group of other riders.
I solved the lever slippage by going to my local bicycle store and getting 'Bontrager Brand' tape for bicycle handlebars and taped my levers. Works great! Also that ugly stupid diamond shaped label had to go.

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site

I have to agree with everything taki said. I have also experienced the levers slip, thought it's not too bad and only happens when I'm a bit careless and didn't get a good grip. Also, they take a little longer than most gloves to put on and it is very difficult to do the D ring on a helmet with them on.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Air Mesh Kevlar Pants with all the bells and whistles and the Kevlar Gloves. Next on my list is the Kevlar Shirt.

As advertised, this stuff isn't cheap. At least start off buying the Kevlar Gloves. Cost is within most people's budget. And it will last forever. How many gloves have you already worn out through normal wear? These gloves are guaranteed for life! And they are 10X stronger than leather! And you can just throw them in the wash as many times as you want and they will still retain the same abrasian strength. Kevlar, the only way to go.....

I have to agree with everything taki said. I have also experienced the levers slip, thought it's not too bad and only happens when I'm a bit careless and didn't get a good grip. Also, they take a little longer than most gloves to put on and it is very difficult to do the D ring on a helmet with them on.

Rookie mistake, always put your gloves on last when it comes to safety gear!

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Rookie mistake, always put your gloves on last when it comes to safety gear!

Lol, now I'm forced to. Whether that's a good or bad thing, I don't really know. It doesn't make too much of a difference. I've gotten used to doing everything else before putting my gloves on because the dexterity isn't the greatest. But I guess that's the cost of great protection. You can't have everything but these gloves come damn close.