Moving

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
so... i have to move by the end of this month.. i live in a nice condo in Glastonbury, ct.. not bragging but its a pretty great area.. gotta love where you live right!! dont need to get into the reason why i have to leave the condo..

but.. i found a sweet 2 bedroom with a basement and a one car garage (floor is dirt, but does have electric opener) on the other side of town right off main street where it is even nicer!!! I met the landlord today and he must be like 70, but he is really a nice guy.. we signed a deal and i cut him a check.. $775 and where i am talking about it is unheard off!!! he has owned it for like 40 years so thats why i think it is cheap, but not complaining at all!!

but, dirt garage floor.. i am wondering if i could dig up some of the dirt and then drop in some pavers, enough to make a nice platform for the bike... thoughts?? :thumbup:

IMG_0485_zps1a44a0c9.jpg

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If the dirt is nice and firm, I wouldn't bother. Just a puck under sidestand and the bike isn't going anywhere. :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you dont think its bad for the tires and all??

Nope, don't think dirt'll hurt the tires.

However, If you're worried about them and have your centerstand on the bike, there are quite a few cheap / free items you can use the get the tires off the dirt. A crushed soda can under each side of the centerstand, and a crushed (long-ways) can under front wheel, for example :)

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
you dont think its bad for the tires and all??

Moisture and temperature changes are what hurts tires, along with being outside in the sun. Indoor dirt floor is fine, we keep our tractors in a dirt floor barn year round and happy to report tires and metal are rust/damage free In the 21 years I've been on this earth ;)

Think it'll be fine!

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you want a clean floor for working on the bike, grab a roll of vinyl flooring(end of roll) or carpet (works if there is no moisture coming up)
Try any flooring shop - half the time they are more than happy to get rid of those little end of roll or last years flooring patterns for a lot less than usual price.
Ive a garage with a shocking blue nylon carpet, looks wrong but is still going strong

any way its easier to find that clip or nut if it falls onto anything but dirt

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats, neighbor.

If you're thinking of digging up dirt and putting down pavers, I'm thinking you might as well just pour some concrete. I dunno what the cost would be, but probably not too much for that small of an area. If you're only putting the bike there (no car) you wouldn't need more than like 2".

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
How about snagging an 8x4 piece of PT plywood sheathing and putting that down where you plan to put the bike? The idea of vinyl/linoleum also sounds good, but you wouldn't have to worry about it flexing as much with wood

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
was going to suggest the same thing with plywood, no reason to spend money on something that isn't yours, either way, nice find on your new house

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
well.. its a rental, so no concrete.. thought about ti, but that is too much for a rental..

i like the ida of plywood, but i would have to make the garage more level, or at least the area i am thinking of doing that in. We will have to see about that when i move in at the end of the month..

lots of good ideas. thanks for the help!!

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
It can be like your personal Zen garden! A light cover/sheet might be good for the bike if you plan on doing high traffic activities in there with the bike , or she may get quite dusty.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the zen garden approach - and the cover to keep dust off is probably the best idea, especially if you'll be sweeping while your bike is in there! If you want a happy medium and some feeling of security - dig out enough space to put pavers under the centerstand/kick stand area and always park it in the same place. It's a cheap, non-intrusive solution that will make sure the bike doesn't fall over.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I want to say it called Hardy Plank, but as mentioned, a 4X8 sheet of cement backed board should work great. The stuff can be submerged in water and not deteriorate. The downside, should it become damp it can be VERY SLIPPERY!!! Careful rolling in from the damp as your feet might just slip out.

have Fun Moving!! :thumbup:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you are worried about leaving the bike on dirt in times of storage, you could invest in a pair of those track stand things - the rolling ones that lift your front and rear wheels at the sides of the axle.

I'd bet they reliably keep the bike suspended.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
or get a 3/4" piece of treated plywood and cover the whole thing in lacquer. then it will never rot and the bike will have something nice to sit on that wount absorb fluids. The lacquer should make it easy to clean as well:thumbup:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
or get a 3/4" piece of treated plywood and cover the whole thing in lacquer. then it will never rot and the bike will have something nice to sit on that wount absorb fluids. The lacquer should make it easy to clean as well:thumbup:

not a bad idea.. i have tons of sealent laying around from building a deck. that might be the winning idea!! i could paint the yamaha logo on a 4x8 and then clear coat it.. that might look awesome!! thanks for the idea! :thumbup: