My first FZ600, what's this switch do?

lostinthe202

Reaction score
Visit site
My first FZ750, what's this switch do?

Hiya!

I picked up a couple of FZ600s, one '86 the other '85.

PICT0291.jpg

PICT0294.jpg

I'll be ready to fire up the '86 soon. I've got no paperwork on these bikes and no repair manual (yet). I'm wondering what this little switch does that is next to the choke. Here's a pic...

PICT0297.jpg

Anybody know?

Thanks!

Will-

Last edited:
Random guess here, but it might be a fuel line switch, my old Yamaha had one right near the choke, with a On/Off/Reserve setting.
Hard to tell if the bike isnt running or without more pictures.

Looks like you got plenty of work ahead though!

Random guess here, but it might be a fuel line switch, my old Yamaha had one right near the choke, with a On/Off/Reserve setting.

That's a good guess. I guess I'll find out when I get the manual.

As for tracing the wires, the leads disappear into the wiring harness. I haven't started unwrapping, something I won't do unless necessary.

Hard to tell if the bike isnt running or without more pictures.

It should run with a little TLC. It needs a battery, and go through the ignition coil wiring and clean things up. An oil/filter change, some new plugs and some fresh gas and I should be good to go.

Looks like you got plenty of work ahead though!

yep!

If you dont mind telling, but where the heck did you find 2 such abused bikes????

I like projects, but sheesh, those 2 look like lots of work!

:thumbup:

If you dont mind telling, but where the heck did you find 2 such abused bikes????

They're a little rough around the edges, but the one with the headlight (the '86) really isn't as bad as it looks. Of course, most of the bikes I've owned involved a fair amount of bush-whacking and wasp killing to free up. The '85 is just a parts bike as it's got a bent subframe and is missing stuff.

These belonged to a fella named "crazy dave". He moved out of the area and left them with a friend of mine. That was about 4 years ago and my friend has all but forgotten what crazy dave told him about the condition of the two bikes except that the more complete one should run.

I got them for free so if both motors are shot, I'll part out what's left and look for the next sad sack to take home.

I've picked up a battery so tonight I'll try and fire it up and see how it runs. Oil/filter change, fork seals, see if the chain will clean up, figure out what all is amiss with the wiring, lay my hands on a gauge cluster (neither bike has one), check the tires for flat spots then I'll go find some twisties!

I was thinking the same thing.the investment of time alone exceeds the possible value of the bike's.if the internal parts of the engines aren't damaged beyond salvage,I would be suprized if the wiring harness could be cleaned and repaired to a point where it could be reliable.....I'm not knocking on the bikes,i'm just giving my opinion from the pic's...I build old Yamaha's in my spare time into choppers and I would not want to tackle either of those restoration's.

They're a little rough around the edges, but the one with the headlight (the '86) really isn't as bad as it looks. Of course, most of the bikes I've owned involved a fair amount of bush-whacking and wasp killing to free up. The '85 is just a parts bike as it's got a bent subframe and is missing stuff.

These belonged to a fella named "crazy dave". He moved out of the area and left them with a friend of mine. That was about 4 years ago and my friend has all but forgotten what crazy dave told him about the condition of the two bikes except that the more complete one should run.

I got them for free so if both motors are shot, I'll part out what's left and look for the next sad sack to take home.

I've picked up a battery so tonight I'll try and fire it up and see how it runs. Oil/filter change, fork seals, see if the chain will clean up, figure out what all is amiss with the wiring, lay my hands on a gauge cluster (neither bike has one), check the tires for flat spots then I'll go find some twisties!
Well If you got em for free that's a different story!! :rockon: :D

You're all wrong. Thats the button you push to wave at all the bikers going the other way. You see the old Yammies shook quite a bit so they put that button there so you didn't have to take ur hand off the grip. A hand pops up and does the waving for you.You can also find this on any Harley ever made....lol. If the hand doesn't pop up check for a broken spring.This is quite a common problem.:thumbup:

You need to seriously ditch those tires on the off chance the bike fires up. Have you ever seen a tire delaminate? It isn't pretty and not something you want to experiance on a bike.

I gotta agree with the others, unless these bikes are free you are spending good money after bad. These are very, very rough, but it is your project.

And if you're not worried about the tires don't worry about the barkes that may have frozen pistons, rotted brakes lines and water in the brake fluid.

Last edited:
pic's...I build old Yamaha's in my spare time into choppers and I would not want to tackle either of those restoration's.

Who said anything about restoration, I'm not that crazy.

First step is to fire it up. Once i know it runs and the motor seems to be in decent shape I'll start pecking away at the sitting disease.

Hellgate said:
And if you're not worried about the tires don't worry about the barkes that may have frozen pistons, rotted brakes lines and water in the brake fluid.

These bikes have been covered up. The tire rubber is soft, not cracked, with no noticeable wear. I never seen a tire delaminate from being 4 years old. If the motor is strong, and the rest of the systems clean up, then yes I'll buy some fresh rubber.

I'm sure the brake lines will want replacing as their original equipment.

I'm sure the pins will want cleaning up or replacing.

I'm sure the piston seals will at least want to be inspected.

I'm sure the cooling system will need a flush and the hoses replaced.

I'm sure the fuel gauge will need to be cleaned to work properly.

I'm sure the speedo cable will need to be cleaned and lubed

I'm sure the chain will need to be cleaned/lubed or replaced

I'm sure the headset will want a repack.

I'm sure the swingarm will want a repack.

I'm sure there are a thousand other things that I could do to this bike. It's not the first neglected ride I've gotten back on the road.

I had an '86 FZ600, first new bike I ever owned, it did not look like those
bikes, not talking about condition...they were air cooled, that certainly looks
like a radiator rather than an oil cooler on the front of one, the headlight
assembly is also wrong, don't know what they are, but I don't think they
are mid-80's FZ600's, have a look at the pics in this thread:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/21376-86-fz600.html

edit: '86 was the first year of production for the FZ600 and mine had so such switch....
good luck with those two

Last edited:
Hmm... well I don't have any paperwork for these so really I have no idea what they are. The frame sticker on one says 3/85 and 12/86 on the other.

You can see the condition of these puppies, that headlight could be from anything. But looking at the pics in that post, the sub-frame is all wrong (square tubing, shaped different) as is the angle of the engine which has down draft carbs.

I figured them to by FZ600's since I don't know of any other crotch rocket made by Yamaha in the mid eighties. I'm happy to entertain suggestions though.

Wikipedia lists the FZR400 as being produced from '86 to '94. I just looked the motors over looking for displacement marks in the castings. On top of the case cover where the oil is added is "2700cm3" and in front of the jugs is "749cc". Now I'm really confused, 750 doesn't go into 2700 four times evenly.:confused::confused: Seems to me the "749cc" is the displacement, so could these be 400's with different motors?

Back