My New Bike - 2009 V Star 1300

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
After realizing that most of my friends have cruisers and that the type of riding they liked to do was not as much fun on the FZ6 I decided to dive into their world. I have to admit that the highway riding is much more enjoyable now. I know I am going to miss some of the more aggressive twisty riding but I think it will be about an even trade off for the comfort I am gaining. There is certainly a learning curve as I get used to having my feet in front of me instead of underneath. Luckily this thing has replaceable floorboard skid plates because I still ride like I am on the FZ and have been doing a fair bit of scraping.:eek:

Was going to wait until Spring to Sell the FZ and buy something but couldn't pass on the deal I got with this bike. Bought it off an older guy that was being pressured by his family to stop riding. Got the bike and two nice large bags for the luggage rack and a nelson rig cover for $5500 and with just 4500 miles on the bike.

If it were not for insurance I would consider keeping the FZ but just can't see paying 300+ dollars a year insurance for something that will sit unused most of the time. So now to sell my bike... going to be a little difficult to part with it. :(

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations! I have a friend that has a Stratoliner. Very nice bikes to ride on a long trip. :)

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks I could have used a bike like that this past weekend. Rode 800 miles on my FZ6 and found it's not the greatest for long distance riding.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Hey stryken! I hear what you mean, as I'm at Surdyke Harley now and it seems every time I get on a cruiser Harley, I'm dragging metal on pavement.

CLIFF!!!!! You old coot! How the heck are ya?

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I traded my VStar in on my FZ6, since I don't do a lot of long distance riding, but you made the right choice in getting the 1300. I had the 650 and it was woefully underpowered. Enjoy your new ride.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Whats up Dirk.... I saw you got a new Harley a few weeks ago, very nice.

2nd childhood, I actually was looking in the 950 range and had read that some were not happy with it especially riding 2up. I had pretty much decided none the less to go that route when the 1300 deal arose and it was to good to pass up. I hadn't intended to get such a large bike but I am actually glad I did, it was so nice riding two up with my son on back and not really even being able to tell he was back there. Well, not until I felt odd movement and looked in the mirror to see him flapping his arms like a bird in the wind...LOL! I told my wife it was kind of difficult to look cool with that going on but he had a good time and at least I was a cool dad if not a cool dude. :rockon: Not an easy task with a 12 year old.

Here he is crossing the Mississippi on the St. Gen Ferry.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice mate !!! Was only talking about these to my wife earlier on & was saying how much I like them :)

How to you find the running boards ?? That's what turns me off them....

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man, that is one big bike. Have fun with her.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, They do scrape pavement rather easily but they are so comfortable. Notice I am enjoying the surroundings more with this bike now that I can relax a bit more. Not that I am less cautious really, just I am not riding this bike in a way that requires me to be calculating two curves ahead. :)