My new (old) 2007 FZ6 S2 build thread

Seth Wilson

Site Supporter
Reaction score
twitter.com
Hey all! Nice to meet everyone. My coworker handed off to me his old FZ6 that had been sitting in his garage for 5 years. Has 11,500 miles and had been dropped a few times. After the last incident, was parked for 5+ years. The front fairing was damaged during one of the drops, was tossed in the bin so I have almost none of the original headlight/front fairing parts. The previous owner started a naked conversation, but its incomplete.

My goals with the fz6:
1) Get it back on the road and enjoy it. I live on the coast (highway 1 in California), so theres no shortage of amazing rides to be had with this bike.
2) Restore back the original front fairing and oem headlight setup (not doing a naked conversation). I really like the look of the fairing and even though its the more expensive route, I'm going to bring it back to the way it was new.
3) Restore the bike to as near as new condition as possible. Take my time, clean, replace the worn out, , damaged or corroded bits as needed. There will be a few areas that I am going to improve/replace with aftermarket, but nothing too crazy. I know a lot of this is going to take time, but during COVID, its nice to have a fun little project in the garage to tinker on.

Oh, this is my first motorcycle.....:)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 1.15.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 1.15.34 PM.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 1.15.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 1.15.25 PM.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 1.15.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 1.15.16 PM.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 1.15.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 1.15.07 PM.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 1.14.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 1.14.52 PM.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 75

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
that workshop must be a joy to work in.- Two questions: have you got music in there? and is there a bar fridge so you can have a bevvie when you finish a session? I hope there is no clock on the wall too!

when you get it on the raod, ride safe ATGATT!
and welcome from down under

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Two questions: have you got music in there? and is there a bar fridge so you can have a bevvie when you finish a session? I hope there is no clock on the wall too!

No TV either... :(

No clock? Gotta have a clock!!

I'd melt that floor with welding slag and grinder sparks...

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No TV either... :(

No clock? Gotta have a clock!!

I'd melt that floor with welding slag and grinder sparks...

ha ha no clock- that was a rule my wife told me- you never want to know when you have to "down tools"! and things take as long as they need. My wife likes getting into the shed as much as I do. Although, we do have one now but it loses time so can still hang on to the excuse..... and I guess with the TV----is a man shed or a workshop?

Seth Wilson

Site Supporter
Reaction score
twitter.com
that workshop must be a joy to work in.- Two questions: have you got music in there? and is there a bar fridge so you can have a bevvie when you finish a session? I hope there is no clock on the wall too!

when you get it on the raod, ride safe ATGATT!
and welcome from down under

Thank you (and everyone else) for the welcome!

I really dig how the garage came out. It was bare framing and cracked concrete when I bought the house and have been slowly turning it in the garage I've always wanted. Needs air, thats my biggest to-do right now, I need to install a compressor in the basement and run line up through and into the garage.

I do have a TV! Its mounted above the cabinets, just out of the shot and I have a decent wireless speaker setup for good wrenching music haha. No bar fridge....but I do have a stash of single malt tucked away in the box.

Will definitely be ATGATT, already picked up a helmet and shopping jackets and riding jeans atm. Learning a ton so far!

Seth Wilson

Site Supporter
Reaction score
twitter.com
Heres a few shots of the footpegs I cleaned up (and the kickstand). Both footpegs were damaged in the drops as was the brake and shifter. The little aluminum shields were scuffed through normal wear from your boots, so I decided to bring a shine to it and see how it looked. Came out pretty good I think and wasn't hard at all.

The kickstand and bracket I pulled off and had powder coated. The center stand is now off and at the power coaters getting the same treatment.

Attachments

• IMG_3287.JPG
    IMG_3287.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3288.JPG
    IMG_3288.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 35

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I done a lot more work in a shabbier garage :) I am guessing that you are no stranger to mechanical work, so you got this. And we are all here for you when you need us.....

I know this is probably sacrilege, given that it's a forum about the FZ6, but - I'm looking less at the bike and spending more time on the pictures of the garage - zooming in, inspecting, cataloging.... . Holy cow, it's just amazing! Can I book a tour the next time I'm in CA?

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't make it too pretty, you won't want to ride it! Seriously tho a slightly damaged bike makes the best first bike! Your more focused on riding and paying less attention to " am I gonna scratch it". Because anything that gets used will get scratches!

Looks like your off to a great start with a good bike! And I am sure with a c5 sitting there you know which roads to enjoy!

Seth Wilson

Site Supporter
Reaction score
twitter.com
Don't make it too pretty, you won't want to ride it! Seriously tho a slightly damaged bike makes the best first bike! Your more focused on riding and paying less attention to " am I gonna scratch it". Because anything that gets used will get scratches!

Looks like your off to a great start with a good bike! And I am sure with a c5 sitting there you know which roads to enjoy!

Appreciate it! I'm definitely going to ride it, no worries about that! I think for me, theres something very therapeutic about turning wrenches, solving problems and seeing something which was essentially a throwaway (free), become something you're so proud to ride because you put it all together.

It will get scratched, dropped, dirty...just gives me a reason to turn more wrenches haha