Nail in tyre - tyre plugged

Rxticle

Reaction score
Visit site
Had a nail in my rear tyre this week. Really small and off-centre. I could not even see the bloody thing and all I new is that the tyre would go completely flat over the space of 3 or so days.

Anyway, took it into my local workshop and they could not find it without taking the tyre off the rim. They have plugged it now.

The tyre is a Michelin Pilot Power and I had a good ride on it today over Mt Nebo and Mt Glorious and seems to be fine. I assume it is all safe but not sure if I would take the bike on a track day with the plug?

Any thoughts peeps?

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Definately no track days on a tyre with a plug.

I didn't think they plugged motorbike tyres any more, I asked about it when I got a nail just after I bought the bike, and they said no???

If you want to do a track day, just see any of the regular racers at the track, they should have a half worn qualifyer you could buy cheap, and fit that.

:)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Definately no track days on a tyre with a plug.

I didn't think they plugged motorbike tyres any more, I asked about it when I got a nail just after I bought the bike, and they said no???

If you want to do a track day, just see any of the regular racers at the track, they should have a half worn qualifyer you could buy cheap, and fit that.

:)

Good advice Mr Dave! Never had a plugged tyre, so aint got nothing to give. :(

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got a nail in my brand new rear Bridgestone and took it to where I had the tyre fitted. They took it off and plugged it with an internal plug. It looks like a giant thumb tack and the "head" is about 50mm across so it has a large adhesive area which is also held in place by the air pressure. Been in for months now and no problems at all.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had it done with car tires but not with a bike.

My local tire provider likes to cut up the old tires before they go into the bin to fit more in. This allows the customer to see how thin the walls are compared to a car tire.

It's probably fine, but I wouldn't go nuts on it....Just my opinion:thumbup:.

Cheers
Mike

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode on a plugged tyre for about a year with no probs,they did tell me when they did it that it drops the speed rating...........duh.

rdsrus

Reaction score
Visit site
A plugged tire is OK for emergency repairs but you should replace the tire.Motorcycle tires flex a lot more than car tires and place greater demands on tires than do autos.

NakedJ

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if it varies by country or the type of plug you use but I had my back tire plugged after just 100 miles (now have 5,000 on it). The very reputable bike shop that did the job underwrote the original speed rating and said i could treat it as an original tire. I would suggest that you'll hear many different views but in the end it comes down to personal choice

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
If you do take the bike to track day, and run it like you should on a track, with a plugged tire you may want to bring along something to pick up your bike pieces. A camera...

I would not run track on a plugged tire.

Now street riding is a different environment. I have used a plugged tire before and it was fine. Each manufacture should have their own guidelines - one of them, unfortunately, is related to speed. As Bridgestone Firestone states:

"A tire's speed rating is void if the tire is repaired, retreaded, damaged or abused, or otherwise altered from its original condition. Thereafter, it should be treated as a non-speed-rated tire.

Speed should not exceed 50 mph (80kph) in the first 24 hours after a repair is made and the repaired tire should never be used at speeds above 80 mph (128 kph)."

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
I work as a BMW technician...we are not allowed to plug any of the bmw's tires...even the few that are not "run-flat."

I personally have plugged or patched hundreds of car tires...no problems.

But on a bike, you only have 2 tires and losing just one can be a big big problem...also on a car, but far more likely to be less catastrophic.

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with others, I would not do a track day ot any touring for that matter on a plugged tyre. Simple commuting is O.K. as far as I am concerned.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I work as a BMW technician...we are not allowed to plug any of the bmw's tires...even the few that are not \"run-flat.\"

I personally have plugged or patched hundreds of car tires...no problems.

But on a bike, you only have 2 tires and losing just one can be a big big problem...also on a car, but far more likely to be less catastrophic.

+1 Catastorphic like going down. So the question to you, is it worth the risk?

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i am the kinda person that doesn't want to have to worry nor have in the back of my mind what if.... its personal preference, we wont plug motorcycle tires... cars now thats a diff story!