Need advice on Tires

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hate them on the twisty's though, I've not once felt confidence from them. I've felt the bike and I were capable of much more but the tire feels like it's just about to bust loose too easily and I'm about to low side. What I have to do is compensate and hang off the side a little more and keep the bike upright. It's the opposite of my S20's that felt like they would stick to anything.

Are you serious? I think PR2s are incredibly grippy and very confidence inspiring. The only times I've felt them slip was due to either crappy road conditions or pushing them a bit too hard on a very cold day. Even then.. the sliding was very predicable and easily recoverable.

I don't think I'm anywhere near the point where these tires are a limiting factor in my riding. I've seen pictures of these tires after track days.. people ride the crap out of them.

Were S20's on your FZ1 or FZ6?

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Metzeler Z8 it is that simple !!! :D :D :D Absolutely Unbelievably AWESOME rubber , can not recommend them enough....

Metzeler_logo.jpg

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
PR2 - never a bad choice... possibly getting a new front PR3 this year.

Have done 21.000 miles on the front PR2. Would have had the same mileage on the rear if I hadn't found a nail in the rear tire in the beginning of last season (2012)...

Front is pretty close to not street legal and more than 5 years old :spank:
Had lots of fun on beginner and advanced track days last year...

I believe that the PR2's are not dualcompound or am I mistaken?

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
PR2 - never a bad choice... possibly getting a new front PR3 this year.

Have done 21.000 miles on the front PR2. Would have had the same mileage on the rear if I hadn't found a nail in the rear tire in the beginning of last season (2012)...

Front is pretty close to not street legal and more than 5 years old :spank:
Had lots of fun on beginner and advanced track days last year...

I believe that the PR2's are not dualcompound or am I mistaken?
Yes, they are dual compound.

http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=pilotroad2

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
PR3. I'm on my second rear tire (changed in it 16tkm) and it could have gone a few more thousand km. The front is on 24tkm now and lots of tread still left. The worse the weather gets the better the traction (not meaning that they are slippery on warm weather). I've done an endo with the front brake in +1C temp, heavy rain, I was expecting the front tire to slip but no, the rear lifted before the ABS had time to react.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you serious? I think PR2s are incredibly grippy and very confidence inspiring. The only times I've felt them slip was due to either crappy road conditions or pushing them a bit too hard on a very cold day. Even then.. the sliding was very predicable and easily recoverable.

I don't think I'm anywhere near the point where these tires are a limiting factor in my riding. I've seen pictures of these tires after track days.. people ride the crap out of them.

Were S20's on your FZ1 or FZ6?

S20's on the Fz6, I know maybe not a fair comparison, considering the 50 lb difference.

Also, the days I've been on the PR2's have been colder than the S20's, probably in the high 30s to low 50s on average compared to the 60-70s.

Also since there has been more rain and snow since I've had the PR2's there is more crap in the road.

So, it could be the different factors you pointed out. I just am not a fan. They feel hard to me and they don't have the same sticky feel as the S20's.

hurrican3p

Reaction score
Visit site
Update : Ended up going with the Metzeler Z8's

Love em

Cost me about $300 for the pair, and $200 to install

Got about 1000 miles on them now, really happy overall. belated thanks to everybody!

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
$200 to install?! Are you serious? I don't know about you, but I'd be curled up in the fetal position crying in the shower for weeks after a rape like that.

Next time post on the forum, depending on where you are in MA, I can hook you up with tire changes for $20/wheel!

C

CoolATIGuy

I was going to say the same, but didn't want OP to feel bad...

But yeah, my local shop (who isn't cheap but isn't the most expensive) is like $100-$125 both tires, if you roll the bike and not just wheels in.

The shop that I went to (farther away but good service) was 37.50 rear tire mount + 27.50 front tire mount + tax. Again, that's rolling the bike and not just the wheels in too. That was the best price I'd found at a reputable shop with good reviews.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch indeed on that install price!! I'd be finding a new place ASAP! Or, for that price, buy all the tools you need to do it yourself!! I luckily have a buddy who works at a dealer who did mine this year at no cost. Well...maybe the cost of a few beers :rockon:

C

CoolATIGuy

And I got a set of Bridgestone Battlax BT-023 for <$235 for the pair, no tax and free shipping, on JakeWilson.com when I purchased.

That said, I've found a key is once you make the purchase, STOP SHOPPING! You're not going to "rebuy", so just enjoy what you've got. :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Update : Ended up going with the Metzeler Z8's

Love em

Cost me about $300 for the pair, and $200 to install

Got about 1000 miles on them now, really happy overall. belated thanks to everybody!

$200 to install?! Are you serious? I don't know about you, but I'd be curled up in the fetal position crying in the shower for weeks after a rape like that.

^^ Would you like a Happy Meal w/dat?! :eek:

hurrican3p

Reaction score
Visit site

Next time post on the forum, depending on where you are in MA, I can hook you up with tire changes for $20/wheel!

Yeah I live in Boston proper. I won't mention the shop specifically but I checked two places and they were about the same. Thanks for the tip and I will certainly let you know in the future!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the Shinko 009 Ravens...7k on them now and prob 3-4k left on the rear, the front still looks new. I just looked at Motorcycle Superstore, they have them as a set for about $180 shipped.
UPDATE:
I now have just over 11k on the set. The front is still good, but I will need a rear in the next 1k miles.