New FZ6 owner with questions...

thkohlb

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a few questions off the top of my head since I just bought a FZ6 and joined the forum...

What is the normal coolant temp range?

What brand, weight, and type of oil and/or synthetic or standard?

Anything I should know about to watch out for?

What is normal replacement mileage for spark plugs?

Thanks in advance!

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the best forum on the net.

In order:

My bike runs from about 170-210 ºF depending on outside temp and how much wind is traveling through the radiator

The oil weights are listed in the manual by altitude and temp range, that said i run full synth MOBIL1 10w-40

How many miles are on the bike? id change plugs every 10-15K mi. but thats just me it will probably go much longer.

As far as things to look out for, we'd need to know the year of the bike? the older ones had some quirks that were worked out on the newer bikes.

oh and make sure there's gas in the tank....

thkohlb

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. My bike is a 2007 and it has just under 10k on it. I just put 10-40w Mobile 1 full sythetic into it, so I was hoping I was correct. Is there a temp I would be worried about? I have seen 214 on a warmer day.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Anything I should know about to watch out for?

Squids, trolls and maybe a shot battery(common thing to replace on a used bike).

Temps that are acceptable I believe are 104-242 F. and Also I believe the Fz6 has a warning light if they get hotter than that.

My bike was running at 212F Yesterday when i was pushing it hard. Air temp was in the 90's.

Here is the manual for your bike, it will answer all of those questions and many many more. 2007-Owners-LIT-11626-20-60.pdf

Last edited:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
As long as the fan is turning on and lowering the temp once it gets that high, nothing to worry about. In stop and go traffic on warmer days, my bike gets pretty hot and the fan comes on quite frequently. I have the older style gauges so I don't know what the coolant temperature is, but I know that I see 4/6 bars quite often on the temperature gauge.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Search is also your friend. Just type in some keywords and you can read up on just about any topic.

I believe there is a dedicated forum on just for oil too.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. My bike is a 2007 and it has just under 10k on it. I just put 10-40w Mobile 1 full sythetic into it, so I was hoping I was correct. Is there a temp I would be worried about? I have seen 214 on a warmer day.

Squids, trolls and maybe a shot battery(common thing to replace on a used bike).

Temps that are acceptable I believe are 104-242 F. and Also I believe the Fz6 has a warning light if they get hotter than that.

My bike was running at 212F Yesterday when i was pushing it hard. Air temp was in the 90's.

Here is the manual for your bike, it will answer all of those questions and many many more. 2007-Owners-LIT-11626-20-60.pdf

Yeah, pretty much. the hottest ive seen is 219ºF when it was 107ºF outside, so..... also i see 210ish when its hot outside and the bike is still, like at a light or in a parking lot.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Most likely the previous owner never flushed out the coolant. These bikes dirty up their coolant fast, can't hurt to improve cooling to swap in clean antifreeze mix! Yes, you can use Prestone green automotive coolant, many of us do and no problems at all.