New member here

tdp32

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

My names Matt, I'm from NY, and after looking through these forums for the past few months, I realized I should probably join up! I started riding last October (2014), finished up the MSF course on a Friday, got my license that day, and got my 2006 FZ6 that Sunday and I couldn't be happier!

Sad to admit that in December, I got cut off, grabbed way to much front brake, came up on the front tire, managed to get down, and unfortunately low-sided. Luckily I wasn't injured at all, and my frame sliders protected the bike pretty well, still managed to crack the cowl though. Rode it home that day and kept it in storage since its pretty damn cold to be riding in December in NY.

Anyway, I've got my bike in the shop now, should be getting it back this week, and I am very excited to get back on it and will be spending a few days/weeks just getting back into the basics and respecting that front brake!

Thanks for reading through my essay haha, lookin forward to my time here.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

My names Matt, I'm from NY, and after looking through these forums for the past few months, I realized I should probably join up! I started riding last October (2014), finished up the MSF course on a Friday, got my license that day, and got my 2006 FZ6 that Sunday and I couldn't be happier!

Sad to admit that in December, I got cut off, grabbed way to much front brake, came up on the front tire, managed to get down, and unfortunately low-sided. Luckily I wasn't injured at all, and my frame sliders protected the bike pretty well, still managed to crack the cowl though. Rode it home that day and kept it in storage since its pretty damn cold to be riding in December in NY.

Anyway, I've got my bike in the shop now, should be getting it back this week, and I am very excited to get back on it and will be spending a few days/weeks just getting back into the basics and respecting that front brake!

Thanks for reading through my essay haha, lookin forward to my time here.
:welcome: new guy! Glad you and your bike are ok!

Maybe practice some emergency stops and brake balancing in a parking lot so you'll have a better result next time!

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome, glad to hear you and the bike came out relatively unscathed. The more you ride, the more you'll develop your "spidey" sense and be better prepared the next time something like this happens. Not saying you did anything wrong, understand, ya just gotta go with the feeling that no one sees you and are all out to run over you. Blah

Vertigo

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome!

Sorry to hear about what happened. On the bright side, you made it out ok which is most important. I spent a lot of parking lot time, like others, getting myself used to squeezing the brake and not grabbing a fist full. Of course, when you are a new rider and you get surprised by an emergency situation, it's not always easy to keep a level head and reflect back to that. Drilling with proper technique helps to burn it into your muscle memory so it happens without thought.

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome Matt!

Very similar situation (minus the accident) - got my license and passed the safety course this past October. Got my FZ6 shortly after and had to garage it. Eastern MA got hit pretty hard this winter but it's almost riding time. Today is 69! But the roads are still in awful condition..dirt, salt, and potholes.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum. It's great that you will soon be able to get out there and get on with enjoying your bike. Have a blast but keep an eye out.

Beyond the helpful comments about preparing yourself for emergency stops, please also develop the habit of looking out for people on four wheels to do things that put you in danger. The best possible move is to expect it, see it happening early, and then take action to not be in the way. In most cases I think the drivers just don't see you. Bicyclists have the same problems but usually at slower speeds.

Chris

tdp32

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice guys! Got the bike back today, rode it home from the shop and spent a good 4hrs in a parking lot practicing quick stops. Kind of surprised at how easy it is to lock up my rear brake haha!

Again, really appreciate all the positive responses, very rare to see so many nice/positive people and responses on an internet forum!

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice guys! Got the bike back today, rode it home from the shop and spent a good 4hrs in a parking lot practicing quick stops. Kind of surprised at how easy it is to lock up my rear brake haha!

Again, really appreciate all the positive responses, very rare to see so many nice/positive people and responses on an internet forum!
Yeah I locked up my rear once in the city one night and another time on the highway. I always worry about doing it again but I think it mainly happened due to my tires being so hardened from age, I have a feeling with my newer tires on, it will actually contribute to the braking and not just raise my pulse lol

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome and sorry to hear about the off. Don't they teach anything in the MSF? Just joking. Remember, riding is about using your mind, learn to anticipate. You want to rely on your mental abilities so you don't have to rely on your physical abilities, which a lot of it is muscle memory, such as applying the correct amount of pressure when quick stops are involved.

The MSF basic rider course focuses on the basic fundamental by providing the basic bag of tools that you need to ride a motorcycle. From there, you must continue to apply what you learned and hone your skills on your own bike. Remember, don't forget to swerve, sometimes swerving is a better corrective action than swerving. So every time you practice your quick stops, don't forget to practice your swerves!

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There was a thread a year or so ago the talked about evasive riding To keep your mind active and train yourself to take in all surroundings as well as the obvious traffic, every 3rd manhole cover or road repair make the conscious effort to swerve around it.
Now somtimes its just not possible but it does help with being aware of debris when you least expect it
Btw a big ol' AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI welcome

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome tdp!

You'll hear lots of great advice on improving your riding skills on this forum. Rumor has it, there are a few MSF instructors who hang out here. I am not one of them but have learned from them even though I'm not on an FZ.

Spring is coming...We've been enjoying it for weeks now on the West Coast!