New oxford hotgrips installed!

s2vml

s2 vml
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, weather has turned cold in UK and it was time to get some heated grips on my FZ6. Bought some new oxford hotgrips 09 on ebay and after reading some advice on forums and youtube i set out to install it yesterday. First step-remove the bar ends..need a 8mm allen key..bugger..biggest one i had was a 6mm..with the help of a friendly garage guy down the road i managed to get through that step..rest of it was a piece of cake..
removed original grips with screw driver and wd40 as shown on youtube video, installed new grips and superglued them..wired them to the box and connected to battery as instructed on the manual..
next step was installing the control.. i innovated a new way of mounting it using the screw that holds the clutch lever rather than the bolt on the handlebar(suggested by manual). needed a slightly longer bolt to accomadate the clutch lever and clamp but it was not too difficult..finished product as shown on pictures.. works a treat ! cant wait to go out for a ride and test it.

LONGER WHITE SCREW

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to have a set of these, exactly the same, till they got smashed in a crash!

They work awesomely in very cold weather, especially when used in conjunction with a set of Hand Guards, or Wind Deflectors.

:thumbup:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love my hotgrips, it makes winter riding so much more enjoyable :thumbup:

Here's a pic of how I mounted mine (on the RHS of the Zumo).
IMG_1972.JPG

Enjoy :rockon:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
That's a very nice, clean installation. Do you have any specifications on them? I just took a peek at eBay/UK.... no data on power useage or anything else.

Do the grips have insulation from the bar itself, so you are just heating the grips or does the whole bar get warmed as well?

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
That's a nice accessory, and a nice installation.
I'd be inclined to shop around for a more suitable screw for the clutch lever pivot, however, that has a smooth "shank" where the bearing surfaces of the clutch lever contact it like the OEM screw. I'd also make sure it's high tensile as well.:thumbup:

s2vml

s2 vml
Reaction score
Visit site
got mine of ebay..lots of people selling them. it states the power consumption is 4amps. it only heats the grips not the bar.
i will shop around for a screw with a smooth shank . thanks for the advice.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
That's a very nice, clean installation. Do you have any specifications on them? I just took a peek at eBay/UK.... no data on power useage or anything else.

Do the grips have insulation from the bar itself, so you are just heating the grips or does the whole bar get warmed as well?
Honestly I would look into heated gloves instead. The Gerbings are kinda ugly, but the Firstgear Carbons and Exo2 Stormsheilds are nice looking gloves. I've had several sets of heated grips on my bike previously and they were okay (I ride all year round), but really only heated the underside of my hands and I had to wear bulky winter gloves. I've got some Exo2 stormshield gloves and they are amazing compared to grips. I put up a post in the mods section about how I fitted them - but can't be bothered to find it and link to it. It'll be on my site though when I get around to it. They use less power than grips and it's used more effectively in between your hands and the wind-blast. They cost twice as much, but also you wouldn't need to speed £30-£200 on gloves as well as the grips. My last set of winter gloves (Richa) fell to bits and my heated grips were ugly, so it was an easy choice for me. When they break I will buy more. :thumbup: