New Rider - 2006 FZ6 - 600CCs of Death

Imagin8

Reaction score
Visit site
Evening all,

I've just started my learning throes on a 2006 FZ6 with 40k miles. I'll be the first to say, a 600cc superbike is not a beginner bike. I'm learning that the (not too) hard way.

I intended to start small, but a good friend put his bike on sale for a price I couldn't beat with anything else ($2500). I couldn't be happier, but I'm taking it slow. The advice I've seen on these forums has been a huge help, and I want to thank you all for the effort and TLC you've given to newcomers with frequently simple questions. It's hard to find a community like that.

So, I've decided to do my part and throw down a few quick things from one beginner to another:
1) You're not crazy, the clutch's friction zone is paper thin if you're not used to it, and you will stall out in first gear a few times.

The fix? Hold the clutch down, shift into first at a standstill. Gently let out until you feel the bike start to move, then gently let off and repeat. You should be rocking back and forth on your feet, heel to toe. Practice, practice, practice. Before you know it, that friction zone will be second nature.

2)You are crazy for getting a 600cc Sport Bike as your first motorcycle.

The fix? Don't get a 600cc Sport Bike as your first motorcycle...(guilty) :spank:

3) It's not just you, the throttle is extremely responsive to your slightest touch.

The fix? Lighten up your grip, start slow, and pay attention. The more practice you have, the more natural it will become. Stay relaxed and for the love of god don't freak out unless you feel like having some intimate time with the road.

4) All that power may give you a god complex, and the desire to see how fast you can go.

The fix? Sorry, can't fix stupid.

Thanks for all the help!

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: Congrats and take it easy. May not be the best beginner bike but far from the worst.

The throttle can be awkward. I'd recommend taking up just about all the slack if you haven't already so it's almost taught at idle/closed.

Just ensure you can hit full lock left and right w/o any throttle response.

BTW where is this bike of yours? I don't see it.. :D

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Good point:
View attachment 52151

The red makes it go faster.

Ah red clan. Nice bike! :thumbup:

Looks great but needs some love. Do you have a to-do list going?
Wipe the discs down with brake cleaner
Clean the chain and sprockets
Ensure chain slack is within spec
Check tire wear + age
Change all fluids
Clean those headers pipes..we have threads on that :D

Ride safe..

Imagin8

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I've checked the fluids, replaced the rear tire (front is fine), and had a mechanic check her out just in case. Chain slack is next on the list, along with a good cleaning and the next available MSF course.

I did have a minor issue off the bat, though. It was idling pretty low on my first couple of rides (near 800). I bumped it back up to 1250. I've had fewer problems with first gear since then.

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
1) You're not crazy, the clutch's friction zone is paper thin if you're not used to it, and you will stall out in first gear a few times.

The fix? Hold the clutch down, shift into first at a standstill. Gently let out until you feel the bike start to move, then gently let off and repeat. You should be rocking back and forth on your feet, heel to toe. Practice, practice, practice. Before you know it, that friction zone will be second nature.

I found the best thing that worked for me (until I installed Killernoodle's clutch lever mod that is) is to imagine that the clutch was only half there. Meaning I would only pull in the clutch half way and shift and then release. Of course what works for me may not work for everybody.

Also unless it has been done your long overdue for a valve clearance check and throttle body sync. The throttle body sync may take care of your idling issues.

Oh yah, one more thing. :welcome:

Last edited:

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:

I found the best thing that worked for me (until I installed Killernoodle's clutch lever mod that is) is to imagine that the clutch was only half there. Meaning I would only pull in the clutch half way and shift and then release.

+1 on the Killernoodle clutch mod
+1 on the "half clutch", even after the KN clutch mod, except for launching

The higher the engine revs, the better my clutch works. YMMV.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Evening all,

I've just started my learning throes on a 2006 FZ6 with 40k miles. I'll be the first to say, a 600cc superbike is not a beginner bike. I'm learning that the (not too) hard way.

I intended to start small, but a good friend put his bike on sale for a price I couldn't beat with anything else ($2500). I couldn't be happier, but I'm taking it slow. The advice I've seen on these forums has been a huge help, and I want to thank you all for the effort and TLC you've given to newcomers with frequently simple questions. It's hard to find a community like that.

So, I've decided to do my part and throw down a few quick things from one beginner to another:

2)You are crazy for getting a 600cc Sport Bike as your first motorcycle.

The fix? Don't get a 600cc Sport Bike as your first motorcycle...(guilty) :spank:

3) It's not just you, the throttle is extremely responsive to your slightest touch.

The fix? Lighten up your grip, start slow, and pay attention. The more practice you have, the more natural it will become. Stay relaxed and for the love of god don't freak out unless you feel like having some intimate time with the road.

4) All that power may give you a god complex, and the desire to see how fast you can go.

The fix? Sorry, can't fix stupid.

Thanks for all the help!

You control the throttle. The 6 was my first bike after a few miles on my brothers 250. My 9 is limited to 132. When the warranty is up il get a stoltec flash. But a completely naked bike in the triple digits, better hang on! :) practice your clutching in a parking lot. Release slowly and feed the gas, don't just dump it unless you want your jewels taking a beating.

Welcome.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
you can control the twitchiness using the back brake and clutch (and throttle) at low speeds, obviously takes practice

also might be worth adjusting the clutch so the biting point is somewhere comfortable, where you can make small adjustments to it easily

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome.

Have you taken a Motorcycle Safety Class? That is the best advice as far to the beginning and going into a long and fun future on two wheels.

Next is your safety gear. More the better. Many of us are ATGATT, that incudes riding pants with armor and riding boots. Not just a helmet and jacket.

The clutch is always touchy. Just the FZ characteristics and can get challenging when you are starting from stop or whenever slow speed clutch and throttle control is required.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Lube the clutch cable - it will ease its feel making it far easier to control. As it gets dry it gets stiff. In return it gets rather "notchy" while being pulled and released.

Enjoy the new ride....

PS - suggest the cable lube kit found here. Works Great!

Karate.Snoopy

Reaction score
Visit site
For improving throttle response
Zero throttle play
G2 Throttle tamer tube
Last resort : Get Power Commander

Set the bike idle at 1300 RPM's ? Can't remember what the recommended setting is but its some where there. This helps with the issue of bike stalling which most new to FZ6 riders face.

Go easy on the throttle, cover your brakes well in traffic & busy intersections , go slow and read either/all David L Hough, Lee Parks, Nick Ieanatsch's books

Don't cheap out on gear, spend a bunch on good riding boots,jacket,gloves,helmet

Past riding season I helped a new rider get back on his 2 feet after he had dropped his brand spanking new Honda CBR 250. Reason being his shoe laces got caught in the rear brake lever and he couldn't plant his foot down.OUCHH...

Good luck & Happy riding

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I also have a 2006 FZ6 and there are some ways to make the throttle less "snappy"

1. Most important: Proper lubrication! You really need to take the throttle grip off once a year and clean and lubricate the bar tube under it with grease and lubricate the 2 throttle cables with engine oil or other suitable lube. This alone makes a huge difference in throttle control.

2. When getting used to the throttle: try grabbing the grip further out so that part of your palm grasps the metal bar end. This will help tame the throttle because you have to twist harder to open or close it and it won't just smack open or closed on you. I use this technique often when doing slow speed maneuvers in parking lots.

When you are just learning there is rarely a need to open the throttle more than 50% and rarely a need to shift higher than 7,000 rpms. This bike is pretty tame if you keep the revs <8K between shifts and <6K while cruising.

Have fun! :thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Past riding season I helped a new rider get back on his 2 feet after he had dropped his brand spanking new Honda CBR 250. Reason being his shoe laces got caught in the rear brake lever and he couldn't plant his foot down.OUCHH...

That was bound to happen. I had a roommate who rode in tennis shoes, and I warned him about the same scenario. After he dumped his new R6, he got proper riding shoes. Took forever for him to get legal too. I ragged on his ass, what was he thinking, sharing the same roof with a rider coach.

Imagin8

Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of good advice! I'm signed up for the BRC, class is next week barring any issues.

In the mean time, I've been taking slow trips around the subdivision and the occasional slow jaunt up the road. The exercises found around here have been an excellent help in developing my knowledge. I'm learning a hell of a lot about the feel of the bike that I just didn't notice taking it down the road.

The throttle and clutch are properly lubricated/adjusted, it was just my lack of familiarity. The more I practice, the better they feel.

All of the recommended service has been done on the bike at the appropriate mileage. The title came with maintenance receipts to prove that it had been properly cared for, though nothing beats checking twice. Now I have a good idea of what to look for!

I made sure to purchase good gear, as well. I like my skin where it is.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of good advice! I'm signed up for the BRC, class is next week barring any issues.

:thumbup: you will have a great time and may gain a few new friends.

You have most likely have picked up some bad habits by learning and riding on your own. But I will leave the Rider Coaches to correct them. Kind of like learning how to golf on your own, and then having a golf pro correct your swing.

Last edited:

Druff

Reaction score
Visit site
Firstly welcome, i just got mine a few weeks ago and have already found tons of useful info on here. As someone already said below 8k revs shes a cruiser all day long, once you get comfortable and open her up she comes to life; like a virgin and stripper in one. Be safe, be careful and enjoy. As I was once told keep the shiny side up!

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
if you are mature enough a 600 can be started on, but thats a huge debate that I am not willing to enter.....

dont worry that "God complex" is easily humbled by the first Liter bike you try and mess with, and on rare occasion a very fast car..
take is slow, stay safe, stay thirsty my friend. :thumbup: