New rider

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, my name is Zach and i live in New Braunfels Texas. I am posting here to get some advise, first off i would like to say that I am taking a MSF coarse at the local HD dealer on the 26-29 of Jan. What I'm looking for is advise on my first bike, i love the looks of the FZ6 and everything i have read about it has been wonderful, but I'm not sure i can trust myself with that kind of power while I have little skill, the problem that i am having is that i am a big person at 6'4 and 285. any suggestions on a beginner bike?

Dartanubis

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is a great beginner bike for a 600cc was one of the first bikes i ever rode before when i was learning a few years back, it has enough power after your experienced to have fun and is great when you first learn awell and im 6"2 its really comfortable for me than most sportbikes IMO.

Id say look for a FZ6 for your first bike if you can find one for a good price you can't go wrong.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Worry about which bike to get after you take the class and earn your M endorsement. Let's see how you are able to balance and control the bike and how smooth you are with the throttle when you are out on that range.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our big family! :BLAA:
Like Vegas said take the MSF course and see how you feel with a smaller ride.
The FZ6 is an awesome bike and some ride it as a first bike but it is to be respected.

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advise, I do plan on taking the MSF and then determining whether or not to stick to the two wheel hobby, the main reason I want a bike is to just cruise, I don't want a drag racer or anything like that and it wont be my main form of transportation either, I have a company truck with a gas card:rockon:, just looking for a do all fun bike and so far all signs point to FZ6:thumbup:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
May I suggest you look at a Suzuki v Strom 650 (used ). It would also make a good first bike for your size. I would think the torque of a v motor would be better for learning clutch control, slow speed and street skills, plus you could ride some dirt/gravel roads to learn how a bike can move around some while maintaining control.

Last edited:

Cameronhall

Reaction score
Visit site
welcome to the forum, im 6'3 220lbs and i love my fz6n. my i suggest reading Twist of the Throttle 1 & 2 by Keith Code. amazing book and dvd. well worth the money. i hacked it offline:spank: and after reading and watching the videos i was so impressed i bought the entire pack..

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum! Good luck in the MSF class, if you are anything like teh rest of us, I am sure you will fall in love with motorcycles the second you get on one.

My FZ is the second bike I owned and I love it. I would say it is a great beginners bike and is something that could last you a long time depending on what you eventually want to get into. My first bike was a Ninja 650R which may also be something you want to consider. Not as much top end power, but has some great low and mid range torque.

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
It's all in your head and how much self control you have.

My first bike was a 2000 model 1200 Bandit. I managed to survive though years on that bike only binned it one time when one of those orange road construction barrels got blew out in front of me by a storm at night. I hit it and low sided.

My biggest suggestion other than what you are already doing is get good gear. Good textile jacket and pants with armor and a good helmet. Gloves and boots of course.

If you are worried about the 600 Fizzer being a bit to large engine wise take a look at the Kawasaki Ninja 250 and 500. Great bikes reliable 75+ MPG on the 250 ect ect.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I second what red wasp said about the vstrom dl650 that was my first bike and a great bike at that. Yes many people start out on the fz6 but I wouldn't call it a beginner bike. The dl is a lot more tame and forgiving than the fz, not saying that the fz isn't but the dl is more forgiving when it comes to a beginner learning how to get used to everything. What ever you choose, and I'm sure they will bang this in your head at the msf, make sure you gear up! And welcome to the forum

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
As long as the helmet has at least a DOT rating you are good. I can tell you I like Scorpion helmets but it won't do you any good as your head may not be shaped like mine.

IMO the only way to buy a helmet is just to go try them on till you find one you like. Let the sales guy know your a new rider and see if they'll help you fit it properly. On that note do not let them talk you into the "more expensive is better" mentality. There are lots of helmets out there that cost 100 to 200 dollars that protect just as well as a 700 dollar shoei.

Sent from my iPhone

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a good tour master textile jacket ordered, and I have some over the ankle boots, the helmet and gloves I am going to pick up locally, any suggestions on helmet and gloves?

Make sure your boots are not steel tipped. Reason being, as a new rider, it's easier to learn how to use the shifter when you can feel it with your feet/toes. Having a steel tipped boot will only make it more difficult. Of course, if this is the only over the ankle boots you have, then wear them.

Helmet: Do you want a full face helmet, 3/4, modular? The difference will be explained in class, but to keep things short, the full face helmet offers the greatest protection. Ask the site that you're taking the class from and see if they have loaner helmets too. This way, you don't have to commit to purchasing a helmet.

Gloves: Any full fingered gloves will be fine, Michael Jackson's, gardening or the one's bank robbers use. Of course, specific motorcycle gloves will work the best for several reasons, which will be explained in class. But try to stay away from large bulky gloves.

Remember, once you have successfully completed the class, you will receive a MSF completion card which entitles you to a 15% discount at Cycle Gear to take advantage of purchasing actual gear that you can commit to.

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
I have always liked the full faced helmets for protection agents wind, rain, and god forbid, road. The boots I have are steel toe. I was planning on looking at gloves there so I could get some that we're comfortable, and the helmet I was going to use one of theirs to see how it fit because I am lost with helmets :confused:

Last edited:

keith w

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 can be a good starter bike IF you can exercise reasonable throttle control. I had been without a motorcycle for over 20 years while raising my kids. I came back with a bike equivalent to the FZ6, stepped up to the FJR 1300, and now with a FZ6 since wife does not like to ride any more.

Just because you have power doesn't mean you have to use it. Only you know your level of maturity and whether or not you can go easy on the throttle until you have gained some experience. If you are the type that has to go balls to the wall, get a bike with less power. I am 6'3" and weigh about 230. The FZ6 is comfortable enough for me in my late 50s. Only the seat needs some help, but I also thought that on the FJR.

I live in Louisiana and it's hot like Texas. Find a good full face DOT approved helmet that is comfortable AND has good ventilation (air flow). The more the better when it's over 95. Good luck.

Last edited:

FFTB

Fortune Favors The Bold
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome. I am a new member who was in your shoes a few months ago. I had never ridden a street or dirt bike and had no idea even how the clutch worked. Lol. I went to the msf class and a week later bought my 06 fz6. I went to cycle gear and bought a full face helmet and gloves. I ordered a good jacket and started training with the bike. I can say start with baby steps. Better yet crawl first. I started in the complex parking lot. Then local neighborhood. I practiced the skills they taught me. Be patient. I thought the bike was a great beginner bike for me. I was not intimidated by it and I give it full respect. I did last month put a g 2 throttle tamer on it to smooth out some of the abruptness it is known for. I ride the bike every chance I get. So in summary for me it was an excellent first bike.

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
tempting, but the fact is i just dont trust myself, do they make a power reducer? or a device that limits the amount of twist on the accelerator? i know in some country they make limiters for new riders