New to the forum, new to a street bike!

RossW

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys!

Wow, I'm surprised to see there's such a huge FZ6 enthusiast forum. I'm definitely glad it's here, as just browsing through threads has already answered some of my newbie questions!

Anyways, I know this probably all belongs in the intro forum, but let me introduce myself.

My name is Ross Williams. I'm 20 years old, and I live in Los Banos, CA during the summer and in San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly engineering student) for the rest of the year. I've just recently came back from the mazda raceway laguna seca MotoGP race with an urge to pick up and start riding a bike!

Yamaha, honda, suzuki, kawi, and ducati was all at laguna seca this past weekend. I sat on several bikes for the kicks of it, and when my butt planted itself on the FZ6... I was a fan! :thumbup: I always wanted the R6, never even knew what the FZ6 was! At first sit down, I liked the sitting style and the (too me) almost dirtbike like feeling handlebars.

That was a 2009 model... I dont quite have the money for a new one, so I went to craigslist.

After searching around, I found one that I thought looked great and in my price range. Its a 2005 for $3900 and it looks super clean! It has 7900 miles on it (I don't know if this is a lot) but according to the owner, her ex-husband babied it (she's selling because of a divorce with her ex-husband. Her Ex owed her money, and just gave her the bike instead, and she has no interest in motorcycles.).

Here's a pic, let me know what you guys think...

DSC03811.jpg

I kind of like the speed/analog rpm meter electronics on the 2007 and newer FZ6's, but I know with a budget I can't get too picky. Which do you guys prefer?

Thanks for any help, recommendations, etc

jmerch44

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:Nice bike. you will definetly enjoy the power and versitility of the fz. have fun, dont let the power and coolness go to your head:thumbup:

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome.

That's a very clean looking bike.

Folks are gonna give you an ear full to get rid of that back fender...oh wait, I just did...

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: and congrats on the divorce deal! :D

Ride safe, post often!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome and thanks for posting. Looks like the previous owner left you plenty of modding to do, so you better get busy.

grouzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks very clean, one owner, etc. however if you can spare the extra grand you could pick up an 07'. Check out the comparisons in upgrading. I also prefer the blacked out engine look. Just my opinion.

RossW

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all of the welcome! So I'm going up north to Santa Rosa, CA to pick it up tommorow (about a 2.5 hour drive for me)! ... however I have to take a trailer because I don't have my M1 yet :(

I brought the owner down from $3900 to $3600, so a little better! Do you guys think its a good price for this bike?

Also about the throttle position sensor thing with the 04's and some of the 05's... the owner wasn't sure if this bike had the problem (her ex-hubby's, she doesnt know much about the bike). Will Yamaha still fix it for free if I were to just bring it into a dealership?

My mom said she would absolutely die if I brought a bike home :rolleyes:

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A dealer will fix the TPS issue as it's a recall thing. Take a look at the vehicle vin tag and see if there's a dimple (there may even be two). They put the dimples in the tag after doing such service -- I learned that on this site.

In any case, if you just take it to a dealer they can figure out if it's been done or not.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I brought the owner down from $3900 to $3600, so a little better! Do you guys think its a good price for this bike?

I honestly think that the price could have come down even more. There have been many members who have unloaded their 07 and 08's for about a $1000 or $1500 more. More recently I recalled seeing an 07 with only 300 miles go for $4400.

Being that the bike is an 05, you have a legitimate gripe that the tires need to replaced assuming it's still the stock tires. Regardless if they still have tread life, they have lost the majority of the grip. This will set you back another $300, give or take a few buck depending on what kind of brand you choose to buy.

As far as your mother, most of us all had to deal with that part. But Mommmm, let the reasoning begin.

westgoingzax

I ride a motorcycle
Reaction score
Visit site

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the bike! My mom would have had similar things to say if I was at home. haha

When are you getting your M1? I'm new to riding also. I took the MSF course in December and bought the FZ6 in March. Lots to learn, but it has been a blast!

Be safe.

RossW

Reaction score
Visit site
Welp... I know I'm going to get many a "oh boo"'s ... but I chickened out with the bike :rolleyes:

I started thinking about my financial situation, and really... I just don't have the cash right now! I only have about $4k play cash in the bank right now... and I don't even have my M1 yet!

However I did sign up for MSF classes, and I start this coming week. Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. I'm also making a steady $500/week with my summber job right now, so hopefully after a few weeks I'll be more secure with my cash for the FZ6 I want and some gear... hopefully a 2007 or newer.

If I were to buy this bike now, I'd have no cash for a helmet or leathers! It would all go towards motorcycle safety course and insurance, then I'd be broke!

Looks like I'm gonna keep looking craigslist up and down for good deals :Flash:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Welp... I know I'm going to get many a "oh boo"'s ... but I chickened out with the bike :rolleyes:

I started thinking about my financial situation, and really... I just don't have the cash right now! I only have about $4k play cash in the bank right now... and I don't even have my M1 yet!

However I did sign up for MSF classes, and I start this coming week. Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. I'm also making a steady $500/week with my summber job right now, so hopefully after a few weeks I'll be more secure with my cash for the FZ6 I want and some gear... hopefully a 2007 or newer.

If I were to buy this bike now, I'd have no cash for a helmet or leathers! It would all go towards motorcycle safety course and insurance, then I'd be broke!

Looks like I'm gonna keep looking craigslist up and down for good deals :Flash:

Good choice. Another good choice would be to find a used GS500 or something similar for under $2,000, buy all the gear, save the rest of your money for riding trips and beer pong, and then sell the GS500 for just about the same price you bought it when you graduate and buy a 100HP bike when you can actually aford it and once you have some miles under you.

That's what I would do...that's what a lot of people do.

Good luck :thumbup: