new to the fz6

epofHouston

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been riding for about 4 years now. Started on a ninja 250 after MSF. Moved up to a '01 Honda CBR600f4i and I loved that bike. I have ridden cruisers as well, harleys and metric cruisers but not for a long trip. Last month, I bought a '06 fz6 with 2300 miles on it. I took a 3 hours trip (all interstate) last week (left Thursday night and returned Friday afternoon). Here are some of the observations:

-The F4i had corbin seat and I can ride about an hour maybe an hour and a half on it. The FZ6 has factory seat so I would say it's about the same. Before the corbin seat, I could not ride the F4i for more than 45 min. The corbin seat on the F4i was cheaper just because it is two separate seats vs 1 seat for the fz6. I can see that I need to upgrade the seat on the Fz6 to be any long distance riding. No fund as of right now though.

-The riding position on the F4i allowed much less turbulence. I had the aftermarkert windshield on the F4i vs OEM windshield on the FZ6. My neck and shoulder was hurting after the ride which I never had experience before.

-The more upright position was more comfortable and my back didn't hurt quite as bad. It's still hurt but I am getting old also. LOL.

-The Fz6 averages about 45+ mpg vs the 34 mpg that I usually get from the F4i.

-The F4i is so much easier to 'flip around' though. I can lean through a curve with that thing like there is no tomorrow. The FZ6 takes a little more effort. I need to get a new handle bar to get down a little, that would help i think. Not as bad as cruisers though, I remembered first time I got on the cruisers, I leaned through a turn and sparks flew every where. LOL.

My $0.02

Good observations and none too surprising.

I've ridden for a total of about 20 hours seat time over the course of 3 days on the FZ6 with the stock seat and after the first 8 hours you just get numb to it and it doesn't hurt any worse. :D

Definitely good observations. One of your points makes me wonder though.. you find FZ6 difficult to flick from turn to turn? I think the bike changes direction very easily. You said you only have 2300k on the bike, but is the rear tire a little square in the middle? That could make initial tip in much harder.
I must admit though, I only used stock handlebar for a few rides before I was positive I could not be happy with it. I'd rather walk than ride a bike with clip-ons though.. can't deal with sport position, but FZ1 bar made me very happy.

you find FZ6 difficult to flick from turn to turn? I think the bike changes direction very easily. You said you only have 2300k on the bike, but is the rear tire a little square in the middle? That could make initial tip in much harder.
Everything is relative, I think. I came from a SS, so it felt harder 4 me (No chicken strip on the tire yet). I'm sure if I came from a cruiser then I would feel completely different. I'm gonna do some research on handle bars for sure. A lot of people here go with FZ1 handle bar so I may do that.

FZ6 versus CBR600F4

Back in 2004, I had a 2000 CBR600F4 before my FZ6 and have pretty much the same observations. Actually, I had both bikes for a few months before selling the F4, so I was able to do many comparisons, which I posted over on SBN.

I still have the Corbin from my F4 which I need to sell..... Anyone need a Corbin for a CBR600F4?

I'm 6'3" tall and riding the F4 would put my forearms to sleep after 20 minutes unless I had highway wind holding my upper body up. But, the F4 was so much quieter to ride, since it didn't generate the turbulent air around the helmet.

The F4 handled better than the FZ6. Something to do with chassis geometry probably. The brakes and suspension was better on the F4 also, but doing the R6 fork and brake swap on my FZ6 solved that problem.

One of the most noticeable differences was the gearbox. The Honda shifted smooth as butter and my FZ6 has been clunky since the day I bought it new.

But, the riding position of the FZ6 is much more comfortable and I love the look of the bike. The exposed engine and that beautiful aluminum frame are awesome. I was doing a LOT of track days on the F4, but I've only done one since I got the FZ6, so it's been a change a riding style for me.

The FZ6 serves me well in commuting usage, especially since I have the yamaha rack and a 46L top case.

Back