Newbie alert

stephenmarklay

Reaction score
Visit site
I road a 2008 FZ6 the other day and thought man this is a smooth bike. I knew the HP needed to be coaxed out with some RPM so it was a surprise the bike would loaf around at 3k without issue and it seemed to be very adept at lowly commute duty.

I was drawn to that smoothness. I always read about the lack of torque and plain vanilla character of inline 4 bikes but they don't say that they are smooth as snot.

I am riding a Ninja 500r and as some of you know that is NOT as smooth as snot. I really don't mind the bike but I have a neck vertebrae that does. The upright position of the FZ6 is much better for that.

I am looking out for a low mileage bike. I found a good 07 so maybe that might work out. There is a 2011 FZ6R locally but for the life of me I can't see any pluses going with that. Is the midrange really better? Everything I read makes me think the FZ6 is a better choice. However, I will very rarely explore the HP on the FZ6 so that is not really a big deal I guess.

I look forward to picking up a bike and becoming a participant around here. I am an everyday rider with no car so the bike will get real 3 season use.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Picked up an fz6 in march first bike also I commute 50 miles each way get 190 miles (87octane ) just under 4gal of gas avg 48-50 mpg and have not looked back since great every day ride, hangs in with the best of them

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great forum! One of the most versatile machines ever made!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome! As far as your choice between the fz6 or the fz6r that's completely up to you and what you like. On paper the "r" seems to have a better mid range but on the street the 2 bikes are evenly matched up to about 8-9k then the fz6 leaves it way behind. The "r" was designed to appeal more towards beginners and compete with bikes like that and is more or less a dumbed down fz6. What ever you decide I'm sure you will be happy either way.

Karate.Snoopy

Reaction score
Visit site
I road a 2008 FZ6 the other day and thought man this is a smooth bike. I knew the HP needed to be coaxed out with some RPM so it was a surprise the bike would loaf around at 3k without issue and it seemed to be very adept at lowly commute duty.

I was drawn to that smoothness. I always read about the lack of torque and plain vanilla character of inline 4 bikes but they don't say that they are smooth as snot.

I am riding a Ninja 500r and as some of you know that is NOT as smooth as snot. I really don't mind the bike but I have a neck vertebrae that does. The upright position of the FZ6 is much better for that.

I am looking out for a low mileage bike. I found a good 07 so maybe that might work out. There is a 2011 FZ6R locally but for the life of me I can't see any pluses going with that. Is the midrange really better? Everything I read makes me think the FZ6 is a better choice. However, I will very rarely explore the HP on the FZ6 so that is not really a big deal I guess.

I look forward to picking up a bike and becoming a participant around here. I am an everyday rider with no car so the bike will get real 3 season use.

Welcome to the Forum Stephen. Thought I recognized your nick from the EX500 forum. After having ridden the EX500 for a couple of seasons I picked up the FZ6. I have to say the bike has been a pleasure to ride. Not as torqy as the Twins but has power when you need it.
Get the FZ6 and you shall never look back.

stephenmarklay

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum Stephen. Thought I recognized your nick from the EX500 forum. After having ridden the EX500 for a couple of seasons I picked up the FZ6. I have to say the bike has been a pleasure to ride. Not as torqy as the Twins but has power when you need it.
Get the FZ6 and you shall never look back.

Hi! I did for sure notice it did not have the torque of a twin but not bad compared to the EX. I road a Versys back to back with the FZR but the smooth character of the bike was what won me over. The Versys has a fantastic torque character but between the cowling howling, the shifter clunking hard into first, the mirrors flapping like dumbo's ears I said no thanks.

A bit sorry to sell the EX as it is a really nice one. I have an old injury though and at times it pinches a nerve bad. I will likely even put a small riser on the FZ but it starts out a lot more upright to begin with. I will miss my fantastic MPG (mid 60's) but the way I ride I bet I will get fairly close from the sounds of it.

I am looking at the 07 on Wed. Low miles bike but a bit $. I prefer to pay a bit more for the best I can find. That's just my way.

Powerman

Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden several bikes over more than 40 yrs. and the Fz6 is the best so far. Maybe I need to ride more bikes but I'm very happy with what I have.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I always read about the lack of torque and plain vanilla character of inline 4 bikes but they don't say that they are smooth as snot.

This is all relative.

Coming from the direction you are, it will be smooth.

Coming from the direction motorcycle reviewers come from, or people that have owned lots of machines, it is less smooth than other options out there.

But it is still a great machine. Phenomenal even.

The power is spread out as opposed to the R6 it comes from. It's an everyday R6 with the edge taken out of it and some civility put into it. Some people like that edge, some people don't want to give up the civility. It is worth mentioning the "Edge" is more than just the detuned engine. But by that same token, so is the civility.

To each their own but I'm glad you like it. Hope to see you on one. Post pics when you do!

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After a long list of bikes, I got the FZ6 and absolutely love the split personality shown.
It's smooth and easy to ride, but turns into a different bike over 8000rpms.

Easy to modulate the power, and torquey enough to ride briskly without wringing it's neck.

After 3 previous Yamahas, a Suzuki, a Kawasaki and 6 Hondas I have found my perfect bike.

Cheers,
Rick

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
I would highly recommend staying clear of the FZ6R, I only considered the "R" as a first bike simply because it's billed to be a better first bike with smoother delivery and less opportunities to get yourself into trouble. If you take one for a ride, I think you'll definitely feel that "bland" powerband (although it is still an i4 so the sound it delivers is better, in my opinion). Plus, I really really like the half-faired look of the FZ6.

As others have mentioned, if you keep this bike under 7k she'll be as smooth and tame as you want, go up into the 8k+ range and you'll feel like you've got a completely different bike; essentially two great bikes rolled into one. The upright position is great for touring and you can always get clip ons for when you want an aggressive position. The FZ6 is just a great all around bike, it may not be the best at any one thing but it's great at everything.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^im curious

what were the other bikes?

In order of last to first. (with years of manufacture)

Yamaha FZ6
Yamaha Scorpio Z (2007 - commuter - don't laugh!)
Yamaha TDM900 (2006)
Yamaha TDM850 (2001)
Kawasaki KZ750 (1978)
Honda CB750F2 (1982)
Honda CB750F2 (1981)
Honda CB750K1 (1970)
Honda CB750K2 (1974
Honda CB250N (1985?)
Honda CB250 (1979)
Suzuki GT250X7 (1978 - first road bike)

Cheers,
Rick

stephenmarklay

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. That is what I thought about the R. I found the FZ to be very easy going even if you are turning the screw. It was not until I hit the highway and dropped down two gears and let off a little steam that I witnessed the giant sucking sound :eek:

I honestly would almost never be there. However, its when you are passing on a two lane road and you under estimate the speed of the approaching car that it is worth its weight in gold.

My little Ninja 500 has a similar, although to a much lesser extent, power band. It lets loose at about 7.5k and runs great until about 10k-10.5k. Dropping from down to 5th on a pass makes quick work of the task.

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Stephen! I recognized your SN from the KLX forum on KawasakiForums. I think you'd be pretty happy with an FZ6. Coming from the EX250, the only complaint I have with the FZ6 is the handlebar vibrations. I never had that problem with the wee ninja, but it's kind of an issue on this bike after an hour of riding.

stephenmarklay

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Stephen! I recognized your SN from the KLX forum on KawasakiForums. I think you'd be pretty happy with an FZ6. Coming from the EX250, the only complaint I have with the FZ6 is the handlebar vibrations. I never had that problem with the wee ninja, but it's kind of an issue on this bike after an hour of riding.

Hey!! Its a small world :) Interesting on the vibrations. I will have to research to see if any rubber dampers are made. I know Kawi did that on bikes like the ER-6n to limit vibes.

BTW my dad lives in Gladwin too. I grew up in Detroit area but moved away 20+ years ago.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
HVMP bar ends will help, they are 17 oz s/steel look swish and really help.
Grip puppes too
and filling the bars with silicon supposedly helps as well but I have heard that gently laying the bike over and filling with sand is an alternative too.
others may give further options, but the first two worked for me

enjoy you riding

Last edited:

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a 2001 EX500 as my first bike, put probably 16k miles on it, before selling it to my brother as his first bike. I got a 2000 ZX6R after that, but ended up selling it and buying the FZ6 instead. The ZX6R was too race-oriented for my riding, not as upright as the EX500 or FZ6. I haven't sat on the EX and FZ back-to-back yet, but I'd say they're pretty similar ergonomically. To me, the FZ6 is like a bigger, 4cyl version of the EX500. As previously mentioned, the only thing I don't like about the FZ is the buzzy-ness, mostly in the bars, footpegs, and mirrors.

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey!! Its a small world :) Interesting on the vibrations. I will have to research to see if any rubber dampers are made. I know Kawi did that on bikes like the ER-6n to limit vibes.

BTW my dad lives in Gladwin too. I grew up in Detroit area but moved away 20+ years ago.

One thing that I finally tried today was using a cramp buster. That really helped with the vibes, since you don't have to grip the whole bar when using it.

Pretty wild that your dad lives in Gladwin!

stephenmarklay

Reaction score
Visit site
One thing that I finally tried today was using a cramp buster. That really helped with the vibes, since you don't have to grip the whole bar when using it.

Pretty wild that your dad lives in Gladwin!

That is funny, next time I am in Gladwin we will have to get a beer. He lives on some little man made lake. I don't know the area that well.

Back on topic, it looks like I will not be getting the FZ6. I like the bike a lot but the one didn't work out and I found a good deal on a WeeStrom with 1500 miles and ABS. I can do either bike but I ride when the snow starts to clear until the snow starts to stick and everything in the middle so the ABS is a nice feature. I guess I will be seeing your guys tail lights :)