No Helmet

B

bluenova

I think it should be up to the rider to decide how much (if any) protection he/she wears, not the law. It doesn't effect anybody else.

Riding a motorbike carries a risk, riding without protection carries a lot more risk.

Personally I would never go out riding without full protection... but that's my choice.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I was browsing through the highway code yesterday and I came across this saying that the law for wearing helmets does not apply to a follower of the Sikh religion while wearing a turban :confused:
Anyway I searched the forum to find that David (Doorag) had already posted it. I just don't understand how a country with a national health service (so the tax payers pay for the nurses, doctors, and hospitals) can make an exception because of religion.

Anyway I wonder what kind of SHARP rating a turban would get ;)

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After reading all these post's another quirk came to mind......Here in Queensland it is illegal to ride a pushbike whilst wearing a motorcycle helmet :eek: :confused:....where is the logic behind that ?????

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
We have that exception for Sikh's here in Denmark to ....

Only reason I can think of, is that the legislators must have seen some kind of proof that if you are a Sikh you don't need the helmet be course your Sikh goods will protect you ....

We also have quite a few member of Hells Angles and such "bike clubs" that get a note from their doctor saying that they for some medical reason cant wear a helmet ...

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
just keep a big metal rod somewhere on your bike.... next time you see him throw the rod through his front wheel......that will teach him to wear his helmet.....if he survives. :D

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
I treat my helmet like it was my own head. I mean, lets imagine that turban hitting cement at 120km/h. O the amount of blue and red stains on the pavement, I can see it already!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Although "properly secured protective headgear" is a legal requirement in the UK, an exemption to this requirement exists for followers of the Sikh religion if they are wearing a turban.

I think the exemption has existed since the 70's.
1976, the turban law was passed with relative ease. The Sikhs had supported the UK forces in numerous campaigns. They fought with courage and Honor. Their helmet campaign was actually supported by many of their commanding officers.
I personally think that the exemption with regard to helmet law was one of the few times the UK got racial equality right.
Now the burka is a totally different thing in my opinion.
Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I was browsing through the highway code yesterday and I came across this saying that the law for wearing helmets does not apply to a follower of the Sikh religion while wearing a turban :confused:
Anyway I searched the forum to find that David (Doorag) had already posted it. I just don't understand how a country with a national health service (so the tax payers pay for the nurses, doctors, and hospitals) can make an exception because of religion.

Anyway I wonder what kind of SHARP rating a turban would get ;)
Hi Cloggy,

I think that the Turban law was in part pushed through out of respect for the Sikhs who had given their lives to fight for the crown.
There are accounts written where a 'Safa' or turban wearer had actually removed bullets from their turban during battle.

The only instance I can remember of a Sikh being involved in a fatal motorcycle crash was the early 90's.
The Sikh community is a peaceful one who live and let live without trying to force the indoctrinate down anyone else's throats.

Nelly

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i dont know what motivates someone to ride without a helmet..you must either be too arrogant to think "it wont be you" or too ignorant to relalise the risks . im sure your chidren will respect your "freedom of choice" when they have to grow up without a father

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Cloggy,

I think that the Turban law was in part pushed through out of respect for the Sikhs who had given their lives to fight for the crown.
There are accounts written where a 'Safa' or turban wearer had actually removed bullets from their turban during battle.
Nelly

Hey that's it Nelly, from now on they should use kevlar (fabric) turbans ;)

The only instance I can remember of a Sikh being involved in a fatal motorcycle crash was the early 90's.
The Sikh community is a peaceful one who live and let live without trying to force the indoctrinate down anyone else's throats.

Nelly

On a more serious note I do not discriminate against any religion and definately not against the sikh community, I simply find it strange that the law makes an exception when it comes to safety.
I used to work in the RAF and blue turbans were (and still are) an accepted (and respected) form of uniform head dress, I totally agree with this, and I see this as an acceptable way to accomodate someones religious beliefs, but I see this differently when it comes to safety.

BigRatt

Reaction score
Visit site
The story repeated by bikers in Arkansas is that ABATE was able to produce enough evidence to convince the legislature that when motorcyclist were forced to wear helmets they rode more recklessly. I've never cared enough to research this. But I've got a harsh streak of libertarian in me...I don't agree with universal healthcare either.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
The story repeated by bikers in Arkansas is that ABATE was able to produce enough evidence to convince the legislature that when motorcyclist were forced to wear helmets they rode more recklessly. I've never cared enough to research this. But I've got a harsh streak of libertarian in me...I don't agree with universal healthcare either.

Applying that kind of logic, they should remove seatbelt laws, speed limits, DUI laws etc .....

BigRatt

Reaction score
Visit site
Just want to clarify my view - My buddy was rear ended on his bike last year by a kid that had two similar accidents the preceeding year. My friend spent a month in a drug induced coma because this kid had been let off with warnings. I think its assinine for officers to be forced to ticket people for seatbelt and helmet infractions when the time could be spent making the roadways safer by removing idiot operators. My friend was wearing a helmet but most of his injuries were crushed bones from where the kid apparently ran over him. Everyone I know personally that has died in motorcycle accidents has died from head or neck trauma while wearing a helmet. I wear my helmet in all but the rarest of circumstances, but I still appreciate the fact that my government doesn't treat me like a child and allows me the freedom to make that choice myself.

Last edited:

muzkur

Reaction score
Visit site
Bigratt, here in Brazil we dont have that freedom of choice.
We have 2 choices:

1- Or we use helmets.

2- Or we pay (taxes) to not use. And taxes to that is very expensive. Not just that. Have here a point system to licenses. Each transit infractions have a point. When you collect 7 points, your license are banned and needs to restart all process from begining to have a new license. Really annoying.

TKarrade

Software Simian
Reaction score
www.playeralliance.com
In Pennsylvania helmets are optional. That being said, I would NEVER ride without a helmet and full face shield. But I respect those who make that choice.

I believe if people want to ride without a helmet, that's their choice. It's a dumb choice, but a choice nonetheless.

At least Pennsylvania does have SOME restrictions written in their helmet law:
"... motorcyclists under 21 and riders with less than two years experience who have not taken a safety course are required to wear helmets."

That I can agree with wholeheartedly. Under 21... helmet. <2yrs experience... helmet. It makes sense.

-TK

ROACH1111

Reaction score
Visit site
The only helmet law in existence in Idaho is that riders under 18 must wear them. I live on the Idaho/Washington border, and Washington has a strict helmet law, so I don't see many people without helmets. Two of my close friends who live about 30 miles away, however, never wear their helmets in town; I always give them a hard time about it, but they have both wrecked while not wearing helmets and neither of them suffered any head injuries. This seems only to have reinforced their theory that they don't need them. :( idoits.:spank:

DaveMc

Reaction score
Visit site
So the closer I get to getting a bike the more time I spend browsing the internet for good gear when the time is right. The other night my wife scoffs and says, "the gear Harley riders wear looks sooooo much cooler than this stuff. The helmets, chaps, vests, all look better." (her dad rides a harley with no gear unless it's cold enough for a jacket)

So I say, "you mean gear that does absolutely nothing for you when you need it?" I have a tough time even imagining feeling safe without gear that's made to meet the tarmac at high speeds.

A full-face helmet will be the only way I travel. Religion or not....