Noob vs gravel

Rushiku

Reaction score
Visit site
Noob wins by a nose...

I was out a few days ago, feeling good about my improving skills. I was riding 'hard' for my skill level, pushing my limits on some nice twisties I had found.

Came up on a little chicane, right sweeper with an abrupt, tight left...as you've already guessed, much too fast.

Leaned deep into the left, basically defeated myself ('not gonna make this, aw crap, gravel') visually locked on to the gravel (stupid), hit the brakes and popped out of the lean.

The gravel had crept up on to the roadway from the shoulder (a road intersects tangent to the apex, people have been cutting through the gravel to make their right turns), taking up about 2 feet of the outside. Back tire locked up and swung out, silently screaming, I counter steered, rear end came back around, and out to the left now, counter steer again (I've freaked, checked out, and am running on autopilot at this point), slowing down, another couple wobbles and GAH! sign post! Narrowly miss that and back on to the road.

Whew.

hamslice01

Reaction score
Visit site
i had almost the same thing happen to me during my first few weeks of riding but in my case the gravel won. giving me some road rash a huge bruse on my hip and damage to the bike. glad you pulled trough it

Rushiku

Reaction score
Visit site
Go buy a lotto ticket...and slow down a little.

Indeed, big reality check for me. I went back the next day to ride it again, at a much reduced speed. And, as one might expect, I've tamed down my riding for the time being, I'm just not able to see things like this coming yet.

Any one of you experienced guys would have said something like "Whoops, a little fast here, hard brake during the transfer" (had you actually let it get that far) and had no problem with it...

Rocky529

Reaction score
Visit site
If you didn't lock your vision on that gravel and followed your head with the turn, you would have most likely been ok.... take it easy out there.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
I am guilty of this as well. Don't focus on the bad stuff that could happen, focus on the end of the turn. Kepp yourself looking through the turn, and all that bad stuff will go away, or happen, depnding on what was meant for that point in time. It is a bad habit, and one that is really hard to break.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Braking or even closing the throttle on a tight turn is a recipe for a low side. Transfers weight to the front wheel, lose traction on the rear, and it slides out. Not too many options when go into a turn too hot.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
"I was riding hard for my skill level"

That sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Sand and gravel even at very slow speeds, including walking pace are the bikers worst enemy, ok, put diesel in there as well.

You need to start taking it easy.

Im glad to hear you survived this one.

Steve

OkieDavid

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad it turned out ok for you. I catch myself practicing obstacle avoidance situations on innocuous leaves, dried and flattened roadkills, pothole patches etc....Focusing on the danger is a very tough habit to break but through practice, practice, practice it can be done.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
was out a few days ago, feeling good about my improving skills. I was riding 'hard' for my skill level, pushing my limits on some nice twisties I had found.

Nice twisties....near North Aurora???

Rushiku: Please identify this road

B

bluenova

Braking or even closing the throttle on a tight turn is a recipe for a low side. Transfers weight to the front wheel, lose traction on the rear, and it slides out. Not too many options when go into a turn too hot.

+1, On an unstable surface... Don't touch the brakes, just do your best to get through it as upright as possible.

Rushiku

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice twisties....near North Aurora???

Rushiku: Please identify this road

Nice noob twisties may have been a better description...(though at a good pace, these might interest a more experienced rider) Anyway, a much more fun route from N. Aurora to Plano than taking 47 & 34 (yawn).

from:Little Rock Rd @41.656620, -88.559050 to:41.782321,-88.489723 to:IL-47 N @41.778500, -88.442930 - Google Maps

Hint: slow down as you approach Wheeler and Division (at the B side of the ride) - I've heard there's gravel on the road :(

JPH

Reaction score
Visit site
WOW lucky save! Had you done a Recon on that road before you tried pushing it? I always recon my routes before I make any FAST runs. Go out at normal pace and come back through at a more spirited :) pace. It takes time but it's worth it. Saves on Tickets also! :)