Track Days Around Australia

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After Reading Dunno's reply to a question about track days in the Off Topic thread I thought it was too good a post to lose, and it might be an idea to start a thread for any useful links, pricing info, track conditions, and any other useful info related to track days.

So here goes...lol.:D

Mallala..

I've only done one track day on the FZ6, but I'll give my impressions from that awesome day out.

Prep your bike the night before (ie. taping up or removing your lights, and indicators, and getting rid of the mirrors). I took off the pillion pegs also. Good idea to get rid of the side stand also, so don't forget to load your race stand in the trailer.

Get there nice and early. This will mean less of a line-up, and means you can get in and pick your favourite spot to set up. It also gives you a bit of time to get your bike and you in your leathers (with helmet) over to scrutineering, and hopefully beat the rush...lol...Take everything over when you go to pay, and do it in one trip is your best bet. This is when you choose your group. Don't worry...you can change if you find you are too fast or slow for the group you are in.

There was then a brief given, and the noobs group stay behind for a little more instruction.

When your group is called, or if you pay attention to the cycle you can get there early you head on over to the gate, and line up, and feel the adrenalin start to flow...lol.:D

A lot of people I noticed tended to scrub in tyres at the track....a lot of people came off that day too. I pre-scrubbed in my tyres, and would recommend doing the same, especially in the cooler months.

Head on out and do your warm up laps. I wouldn't recommend going for any PB's until the track and tyres are well warmed up, as there is a lot of drifting, on the track, leaving coolant etc. behind, and on a cooler day it might take a bit to get the heat into the tyres. (25 people came off before lunch on the day I was there).

Turn 1. RH. There is a dip in the apex of turn 1 that can upset your bike a little, and the best way to avoid it is to be close to the inner edge of the track at the apex. Then follow it out wide to the left side of the track, and stay on the inside line for turn 2.

Turn 2. LH. Turn 2 is pretty well flat, until you get out a little wide, at which point it gets off camber, so stay in close, and don't bother trying to straighten out the corner...well, unless you're trying to get your little FZ6 past a dawdling R1, and then you'll need all the corner speed you can muster. Then follows a short straight past the pits, up to turn 3.

Turn 3. RH. This is a bit of a hairpin, but has great camber going in, just try to stay inside on the exit, as it again goes off camber if you get out wide on the exit, then on the gas, pretty much flat knacker, through the kink.

The Kink. RH. This is a pretty much b@lls out run. A stock FZ6 with -2 on the front sprocket, will get you around 190km/h but You can get through here at 230-240km/h but need to break hard for turn 4.

Turn4. RH. Turn 4, is a hair pin. You will need to get your breaking point right for this one (this is the most common place for people to "run off", but most folk just get back on the track) but you can hit it pretty hard as it has great camber. Then head on up to Pacific.

Pacific. LH. This sweeper is pretty straight forward, and I found it a great place to overtake around the outside. Not sure why but a lot of folk seemed to have trouble getting through there nearly as quickly as they should have, and another short straight, down to turn 6.

Turn 6 and Turn 7, make up the "esses". Turn 6. RH. It is fairly sharp with good camber, then back on the gas for turn 7. Turn 7 LH. is a lot more open, but don't push too hard, or you will see how hard the wall looks at turn 8.

Turn 8. RH. Again there is a dip in the apex, and watch your traction here. A lot of folk get too hard on the gas here, setting themselves up for the straight, and lose the rear. Not a good idea, as this is about the only place at Mallala that has no runoff. Take it out wide onto the ripple strip, and wait for the front to pop, coming over the start/finish line.

Now I'm just a track noob, but for what it's worth, this is what I remember of the track, and getting set up.

They run 2 types of track days at Mallala. The Champions Ride Days (which I did) and the Cafe Racers day that I've been to as pit crew for Wolfman. Organisation-wise, I think I would have preferred the Cafe Racer's day, as I did notice on my day that I could look at the faces of some of the other riders in front of me in their mirrors, as I watched them hit the brakes, 'cause their lights weren't covered. Scrutineering was a little casual for my tastes.

There were also 41 people in my group to start off with (there were only 7 left standing by the last session) which made it pretty heavy traffic on such a small track. However with 7 people only on the track at the end, it was pure bliss, and I am sooo happy I headed out there for the day:rockon:.

Can't find a link for the Cafe Racer's days, but here's one for the Champions Ride Days. SA Tracks - Champion's Ride Days

They hire leathers, bikes, and tyre warmers I beleive.

Map of the rack and facilities...

View attachment 33941

So post up any experiences, and help out your fellow nutter:BLAA:.

Meantime, I'll rip off a copy of Dunno's post and wack it in this thread:thumbup:.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to Dunno for this post...:thumbup:

Did someone say "Trackdays"

Mate Eastern Creek is your best bet simply because its the best track we have in NSW. EC is the former home of the Australian GP & there is good reason. It's fast & open with a few 2nd gear hairpins just to remind you what your brakes are for. You to can roll out of the same pit garage that Mighty Mick Doohan once did & hope to christ some silly Spaniard doesn't stick it up the inside at T9. Since Oran Park closed the price has risen again (insert swear words here) & it books out months in advance. I know guys who are on the waiting list for April 9th! Plan ahead & book now for June, July. To be honest these will still be ok. Cooler weather means it wont be so energy sapping & is better on the tyres. Just be patient & allow the tyres to warm up before you have a real crack at it. 2 warm up laps minimum (without tyre warmers) & the surface won't be up to temperature till session 3 in those months.
12 corners in all. T1 will test the best of them & you will have the FZ6 tapped in top gear as you approach it. Ive used a Racechrono GPS lap timer around there & tipped into T1 at 221kmh It's serious fun & worth the admission price alone.

Wakefield Park is a fun little circuit. Not as fast as EC but twice as bumpy. That circuit is in need of some serious TLC. Also quite an open circuit with only 1 wall to worry about coming on to the straight. Lovely fast kink at the end of the straight reminds me of Oran Park & will test your goolies as the days goes on. Be warned though. Goulburn is one cold freaking place man. Especially in the upcoming months. Cold tears are common & WP is a great place to destroy a set of new tyres.
Did I mention it's bumpy!

Marulan is a top place to test yourself & your bike. That's it. It's a test/practice circuit. I was there for the 1st ever TD at Marulan riding my VFR400 & I only snicked 3 gear down the straight. 2nd gear tops for an FZ6. It's only 1km long & there is a lovely hump 1/3 the way down the straight to practice wheelies. Give it a bit to keep the front up (in case any girls are watching) then drop the front & hit the picks for T1. It's tight, twisty & 5 laps feels like 10. You really have to man handle the bike & practice easy application of the throttle when tipped over. Get it wrong at Marulan & there will be a wall to greet you on 70% of corners. Again it's it near Goulburn & can be a cold bugger of a place. You really have to take care cos it isn't easy to generate heat into the tyres on such a small layout. Also be mindful the owner has some jealous neighbours & noise is a problem. If you have an after market pipe make sure its below 95 db. In my opinion Marulan is for practicing change of direction in 2nd gear, practicing rolling the throttle whilst at full lean & motards. If you rode a KTM525 with slicks you would be in heaven

If you haven't done track days before have a good think before you sign up. You gonna ride or trailer the bike to & from the circuit? WP & Marulan are 2 hours from Sydney. That will mean leaving home before 6am & not getting back till after 7pm. I usually stay in Goulburn the night before just so Im fresh in the morning.

EC is easier to ride there if you're in Sydney but I would still consider the trailer. Just in case the unspeakable happens or you are just dog tired from riding all day. Trust me you will be rooted Also if you trailer the bike you can take tools, spares, food, water, fuel & a chair to sit on in between sessions. If you don't have a trailer you can hire one for $40 from a servo.

You will also need a full set of leathers. Either 1 piece or a 2 piece that zips together. Boots, gloves, helmet.......... the usual. I would also suggest a back protector. Ive never left home planning to crash but it happens.........
Particularly if you want to ride Marulan. Those walls are close man. I haven't thrown my leg over a bike in years without wearing a back protector. It's like a lid. If im gonna ride a bike I wear it.

Bottom line is the almighty dollar. EC is the best TD experience you will get in NSW................. it's also the most expensive by a long shot, then WP, then Marulan. There is a reason for that.

BTW there are tyres available at EC & WP but not Marualn. Ambo's present at all circuits. There is power for tyre warmers at all 3 although Marulan kept tripping when we all plugged in at once. If you don't own a set of leathers EC hires them for about $50 for the day.

Sorry for the novel of a post but I hope it answers any questions you haven't thought of yet. Anything else you want to know just ask or PM me. As Wolfman mentioned I am on another forum nswrats.com WE arrange to meet up in the same garages so you already know a few guys & gals before you arrive. Friendly mob & there is nothing like returning to the pits for a debrief (talking ourselves up) & shoot the breeze in between sessions. Site also has quite a few of us who race & there is a wealth of knowledge available.

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Right on Mikey :thumbup:

I started a thread similar to this on RATs although I was concentrating on out of state circuits as an alternative to EC. I can start with EC on here anyhoo.

Eastern Creek

1st thing about EC which I made clear in the above post is to get in early. It books out months in advance. They run 4 groups that are colour coded.
"A" / Red group is for racers & very fast road riders/track day punters.
"B1" / Green group is is for fast/advanced road riders.
"B2" / Yellow group is kind of like a waiting room. Riders who are on the up & are getting faster but are not yet fast enough or confident enough to step up in to green group.
"C" / White group is for 1st timers, beginners or those are happy to have ride around the track without wanting to push too hard.

The reason they are colour coded is because you will be issued with a wrist band when you sign on in the morning. Of course your wrist band indicates which group you are riding in & EC staff will ask to see your wrist band at the end of pit lane before each session. Just like your booking its a good idea to arrive at the circuit nice & early. I usually get there around 7am. This gives you plenty of time to set yourself ready & give the bike a final going over. There are designated pit garages for signing in & scruitineering. A good idea to get this out of the way as well cos the queues can get pretty long as the crowds arrive. Basically it pays to get there early & be ready when its time to head out on the track. You don't want to throw your pride & joy down the road because you were rushing around & didn't realise that your front tyre only had 20psi in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EC have some very strict rules in place which include NO LAP TIMING DEVICES & NO ON BOARD CAMERAS! Breaching these rules can result in expulsion from the circuit. All of this is explained at the mandatory riders briefing before anyone hits the track.

Now its time to hit the track! The fun part :thumbup:

I could talk all day about lapping EC but here is a write up from a young chap named Josh Brookes :aus:

TURN ONE: When screaming down the front straight in top gear (sixth), keep to the far right of the track. Flash past the braking marker (which one depends on the bike you are riding), shift down one gear (fifth) and peel in (careful not to square the corner, your knee is hitting the deck mid straight). Open the throttle slightly as soon as you can - this keeps the weight off the front wheel and the bike stable. Pull the bike into the apex (it's bumpy because of the water run-off there) and hold it on the apex for a long time - more than most other corners. When you can see your exit, accelerate hard to the outside of the track to be ready for...

TURN TWO: It's a double apex corner, so brake hard, shift down three gears (second) and take the first apex early, right on the ripple strip (dipping by the third blue strip). Let the bike run wide mid-corner (but still ripple side of the crack in the tarmac), then pull it back to clip the second apex on the exit. Hold it tight (on the paint) to avoid the off camber section. The wrong set up here can cost you a second. As you exit, driving hard, short shift to third and the same time as you change direction and body weight (watch the wheelie! fine line here between perfect set up and the high side) to enter...

TURN THREE: It's a late apex here, after the ripple strip, so watch you don't catch your knee in the grass. Drive the bike to the outside of the track again, then upshift to fourth. Pull the front wheel up over the bump on the crest heading to Turn Four to keep the bike stable. As soon as the front wheel chirps back to earth, nail the brakes and downshift one (third) for entry into....

TURN FOUR: Tip in, then crack the throttle open before you get to the exit. Again this keeps the weight off the front wheel, which can cause the front end to fold. Hold it tight (keeping it on the ripple strip), then drive hard to the outside of the track, then turn hard to the apex of...

TURN FIVE: It's crucial to keep the speed up here as the exit is uphill. Maintain as much corner speed as possible. I use all the track to drive up and over the hill, being careful not to induce to much wheelspin. Snick fourth gear and shift to the right side of the bike, on the way to....

TURN SIX/SEVEN: If its dry, brake hard using the concrete strip on the right. If it's wet, don't go near it - it's too slippery! Downshift one gear (second), then shift your weight to the left-hand side as you crank the bike on to your knee. Apex the ripple strip late. Again, keep your momentum high for the uphill exit. For me, it's often wheelspinning and wheelying as I snatch another gear, ready for....

TURN EIGHT: The crest on Turn Eight's entry is bumpy and the track drops away fiercely, so the bike can be shaking all over the shop. Wait until the bike settles down, only for an instant, then lay it on it's ear. I like to apex early so I can drive out hard to the far side of the track (watch the bump on the exit!) and set up for....

TURN NINE: Pull the bike back to the middle of the track, instead of far left, to enter Turn Nine - I think it's faster than using all the track. Shift down a cog (second). Hold it tight all the way around the ripple strip, then drive out to the concrete ripple strip on the exit. If I'm really trying, I often hit the dirt. Try to avoid that.

TURNS 10/11: I shift up twice on the run to Turn 10 (fourth), then tip in late downshifting once (third), before I do so. Once I'm cranked over on the ripple strip, I downshift again (second - I hardly brake here, as I'm right on my side, but do this wrong, and you low side), then flick it over the ripple strip of Turn 11. Try to make one turn out of Turn 11 and...

TURN 12: Let it drift out to the edge of the track from Turn 11, driving hard, then pull it back in for as late an apex as you can. Every kilometer an hour you can make here means a few extra down the end of the straight, so it's a crucial corner. The bumps on the exit can set up a weave, depending on your bike. Tuck in everything for the run down the straight - toes in, elbows in, head down - on your way to top gear, and Turn One, to do it all again!

EC usually books 4 groups of 40 & it can get quite busy out on track with riders tending to bunch together. Patience is the key. Instead of trying some crazy passes it sometimes pays to do a ride through pit lane & re enter the track where there is less traffic.

As I said in the above post I prefer to trailer the bike to the circuit instead of riding it. This enables you to take all sorts of crap with you. Food, water, tools, spares & a chair. You will be stuffed by the end of the day & 20 min sessions on the track means you will be standing around for an hour waiting for your next time out. Its also easier to get the bike home on a trailer after it has just cart wheeled into the sand trap............... it happens :(

Same as above you will need all the usual protective gear & a back protector isn't mandatory but is advised.

Eastern Creek Ridedays cost $249.
MEGA - Motorcycling Events Group Australia

All riding gear can be hired from ECRD including a bike! Current GSX R600s are on offer at a price of course
MEGA - Motorcycling Events Group Australia

Ambo's are on site just in case someone goes down hard. There are tyres available at the track if you need new rubber fitted as well as a suspension technician if you need help with set up. California Supebike School coaches are also there to offer advice on riding techniques however you will have to go looking for them, they won't come to you.

I think that just about covers it :D

Finally the obligatory on board view of the circuit. I could post up a clip of Eddie Lawson lapping EC doing 1:31s but where would the fun be in that?
This is an on board view in last years ClubSport racing category with 1000s & 600s in the same race. That's me in the black & blue leathers you see at the 4:00 min mark & then another close up at 4:15 :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVoyswwRxZA]YouTube - St George Clubsport Racing 2[/ame]View attachment 33955

Last edited:

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
A brief run down on WP. I posted this on NSW RATs - The Front Page & have done a quick cut & paste after editing a few bits.

Wakefield Park
Wakefield Park is on the outskirts of Goulburn NSW.
Circuit is 2.2km long & is on Braidwood Rd about 10km from Goulburn. A quick trip down the Hume Hwy it's about 2 to 2 1/2 hours from Sydney.
I found the surface to be in good condition apart from a few repair jobs that were poor & quite bumpy. Particularly T5 from memory. The straight is relatively short with a kink towards the end of it similar to the one Oran Park. The back of the circuit is where the fun is like most circuits with a series 3 right handers leading to a down hill section. There is a long long long left at the bottom of the hill which seems to go for ever. Best way to get a feel for it is watch on board vids like the one below.

Shawn Giles can explain it better

TURN ONE
Fourth gear - 11,800rpm
Turn One is a funny corner. You can rush in there and still wash a lot of speed off. It's a fairly deceiving corner to go through. You can keep a fair bit of speed, but you have to be careful you don't run out of track. It's pretty grubby 'round there so make sure I stick to the shiny black stuff and away from the dirt.

TURN TWO
Second gear - 95km/h - 7000rpm
You can make Turns One and Two one big corner with a steady line. I drop back to second gear as I'm coming into Turn Two and wash a lot of speed off. Getting the right drive out of Turn Two is crucial as I want a good run heading up the hill. I might try to duck underneath someone into the first lefthander at Turn Three.

TURN THREE
Third gear - 185km/h - 10,820rpm
Turn Three is one of the only places to make a pass around Wakefield Park. With the good drive I get coming up the hill I can (maybe) outbrake the rider in front and tip it underneath them and hold the line into Turn Four.

TURN FOUR
Second gear - 125km.h - 9000rpm
I go back to second gear while still holding a bit of speed. I drive out hard ready for the double righthander at Turns Five and Six.

TURNS FIVE AND SIX
Five: Second gear - 130km/h - 9800rpm
Six: Second gear - 94km/h - 6800rpm
I try to make these two turns one big corner without straightening up too much. I drive in hard and stick to my line. There's no room ot pass, so I have just got to stay committed.

TURN SEVEN
Second gear - 130km/h - 9300rpm
The Infield of Wakefield Park is really tight and hard to pass on, so my run down through Turn 7 is pretty important. I need to keep my speed up and defend my line coming into the ultra tight turns of Eight and Nine.

TURN EIGHT
Second gear - 148km/h - 10,450rpm
I have to be really careful I don't lose the front end here. I'm coming down the hill with a fair bit of speed and I haven't been on the left for a while, then all of a sudden I'm flicking it over on the left and trying to wash off a whole lot of speed.

TURN NINE
Second gear- 74km/h - 5500rpm
The whole infield section is crucial to getting a good lap time. There's no room to move there and it's really slow. I have to concentrate on getting a good drive out of Turn Nine heading up to Turn 10.

TURN 10
Second gear - 120km/h - 9000rpm
Turn 10 is really bumpy. Coming out of the corner the bike wants to lift the front wheel up, so I'm all over the front ed to keep the wheel down and the bike on the track. It feels like motorcross - on tar.

BACK STRAIGHT
Third gear - 190km/h - 11000rpm
I need good drive out of Turn 10 for good speed down the short back straight. I try to set-up a pass underneath coming in to Turn 11.

TURN 11
Second gear - 70km/h - 5000rpm
If I went underneath someone in Turn 11 I'm going to want to run wide coming on to the front straight. The drive I get out of Turn 11 is so important towards ensuring I don't get passed going down the front straight.

FRONT STRAIGHT
Fourth gear
It's all go. Up in to fourth, down behind the screen, and hope for the best. I just have to be careful I don't get wiped out by the guy next to me in to Turn One.
And then I do it all again....

WakefieldParkview.jpg

There is a row of garages along pit lane & another row of carports behind that.
I can only vouch to have been to WP once for a RATS only day & we had a blast. We circulated in groups of 10 & I found the track to be quite tight but still had a nice flow to it. Kinda reminded me of OP.
The day I visited WP we were stationed in the carports & had some trouble with the power tripping out. These days there are carports & garages available with tyre changing facilities also on hand.

Wakefield Park is used for Formula Extreme rounds, the St George 4 Hour & PCRA 1 Hour.

One thing to consider is WP has a $50 one year license for TD punters. This is required if you don't have a current race license.

Get a load of this bloke racing at WP in last months round of the St George Rjays Series. Have a listen to the tyres squealing in protest through the kink & coming on to the straight. Awesome.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blcqlaCw6us]YouTube - StG Race 4 WP 5/2/11[/ame]

Plenty of accommodation options in Goulburn if you want to stay overnight like we did last time. We stayed here. A bit pricey but the room was nice & warm & they do a smashing breakfast. Also plenty of room to park a trailer away from the street.
Best Western A Centretown, Goulburn, NSW | Best Western Hotels Australia

Be warned Goulburn can be a bloody cold place. We were there in December & I just about froze my bollocks off walking back from the pub at night. Winter would suck big time.

Track days at Wakefield Park are run by Formula Extreme
http://www.aus-superbikes.com.au/xtr...1?OpenDocument

More info on the Wakefield Park site.
http://wakefieldpark.com.au/index.ph...tpage&Itemid=1

Last edited: