Odometer disconnect?

rusty1

Reaction score
Visit site
a fellow biker in our local club recently bought a series 1 fz6 with full service history up to 18000 miles
unfortunately he had a crash - him and bike are OK - but he had fairing/slight frame/bars/forks damage.
The bike is worth repairing but it needed a new speedo display/fairing bracket/fairing etc as they cracked/broke in crash.
He managed to get a second hand speedo but it is from a high miler with 26000 miles.

His question:
can you disconnect the speedo to stop adding more miles (this IS legal, but illegal to non-disclose to new buyer if he ever decides to sell) and if so how?

I am not sure but thought I would post to you technical folk out there who might be able to help

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

You can get a state title with ODO descrep on it. Log original miles on speedo, and count from there on the new one as I understand it.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
You could disconnect the speed sensor, that yould stop the odometer and the speedometer. The question is, how will you know when you've ridden enough miles and can reconnect the everything?

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Nah, I'm laughing at this exchange too.

Just remember that NASA's killed more astronauts than Ireland's ever launched, and we'll get along fine. :D

rusty1

Reaction score
Visit site
Nah, I'm laughing at this exchange too.

Just remember that NASA's killed more astronauts than Ireland's ever launched, and we'll get along fine. :D

they also employ smart ar*es
hence the comment

Astronauts maybe, I bet Ireland has launched more rockets though.... allbeit of a shorter distance!
:eek:

OK speed sensor? is it under the tank?

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I was imagining disconnecting the entire cluster (main plug). If you want to disable JUST the odo, I don't know how to do that but maybe the manual could help you figure it out.

rusty1

Reaction score
Visit site
HAHAHAHAHHAHHAHA!!!! ahh... had to get that out of my system.

But seriuosly, what's stopping you from buying a new 20007/20008 speedo and slapping it in?

KG

i suppose he could get a used one with lower miles but the miles are the issue - he wants them to be as close to what the bike genuinely has covered

Se7enLC

Nerd
Reaction score
Visit site
i suppose he could get a used one with lower miles but the miles are the issue - he wants them to be as close to what the bike genuinely has covered

Why?

If he has to call the odometer inaccurate on the title, why even bother trying to make it close? If anything, it would make more sense to just figure that the bike had 18000, the new odo has 26000, so just subtract 8k to get the actual odo reading. A future buyer would be much more likely to believe that than "oh, I disconnected it and guessed when I got close to the mileage"

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if he ever does sell it what value difference will there really be if it is 18000 or 26000 miles, in bike world they are both high mileage...

Not my bike world, but bike world in general.

rusty1

Reaction score
Visit site
if he ever does sell it what value difference will there really be if it is 18000 or 26000 miles, in bike world they are both high mileage...

Not my bike world, but bike world in general.

yes but 26k is a considerable amount more than 18k. maybe a year or more riding for this guy so why sell the bike short? He simply wants the same mileage on it that he had before the crash.
by disconnecting and maybe using gps he can record then connect and all will be similar to original. That's his theory anyway