Oil And types you can use

deathjam4

Reaction score
Visit site
So will be looking into an oil change soon. Preaty sure my issue with the ticking is from the oil not reaching places when its colder out. Think the bike has been getting 20W40 for most of its service history. A bike shop said i should be running 10W40 and i would be running either amsoil or motul full synthec.

So whats every one else use and what would be best for canadian weather?.

Also interested in the brands of filters people use. My CBR 125 never had a filter was simply drain the saw dust and and refill.

Duckman

Braapp
Reaction score
Visit site
I run Mobil 1 racing 4t 10w-40, Mobil 1 filter m1-110a (anybody correct me if I’m wrong)hope this helps, changing back to semi synthetic. 20w-40 will be too thick during fall season

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Shell Rotella T6 5w40. Fully JASO MA and JASO MA2 certified, always on sale and I have over 3 years and 20,000 trouble-free miles. Usually pay $20.00/Gallon vs $15.00/Qt for the Mobil 1

Duckman

Braapp
Reaction score
Visit site
Shell Rotella T6 5w40. Fully JASO MA and JASO MA2 certified, always on sale and I have over 3 years and 20,000 trouble-free miles. Usually pay $20.00/Gallon vs $15.00/Qt for the Mobil 1

20,000k and no oil change, impressive:Flash:

deathjam4

Reaction score
Visit site
Lol yea well i was just making sure what every one used cause my book service history shows the bike recieved 20w40 on all its service tripa. And aparently once recieved 20w50 at one service trip by a confused person who probly thought apples were oranges. Some one even left a note in the book questioning it lol. So i figure the bike probly has the 20w40 in it cause my really hot days at 28degrees and higher the bike runs silky smooth but any colder amd she has some issues with ticking noises as if the oil aint getting there.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol yea well i was just making sure what every one used cause my book service history shows the bike recieved 20w40 on all its service tripa. And aparently once recieved 20w50 at one service trip by a confused person who probly thought apples were oranges. Some one even left a note in the book questioning it lol. So i figure the bike probly has the 20w40 in it cause my really hot days at 28degrees and higher the bike runs silky smooth but any colder amd she has some issues with ticking noises as if the oil aint getting there.

So did an oil change or did you solve the ticky / noisy engine?

BTW, I use Motul 5100 semi synthetic 10w 40.

I still occasionally, first 2-3 seconds cold (with bike sitting a couple days), get some ticking from the right side head.
(sounds like valve till oil gets there). Valves were just adjusted, engine spotless.

deathjam4

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yes there is most defantly a valve issue but on warmer days this bike sounds preaty dam quiet i had noticed. once its to operating temp and driven for maybe a half hr i start to notice the cam chain slaping around so defantly needs the cct. But i think a large portion of my issues are from the oil in the bike. as its been serviced with 20W40 for a large portion of its service history. I defantly need to bring it down to 10W 40 and think ill put the full synthetic 10W40 in it for good measure when i get to it. Right now i am waiting on the steering bearing to come with the sprockets and chain and my new k&n filter i ordered to come in. Next month ill have to tackle the valve train till then i drive 10 minutes to work every day so Ill do an oil change when my parts arrive and hope it helps reduce some of the noise and slap till i can service the engine. but i belive 100% that not alot of oil is getting to the head and its likely due to the oil being to thick in my canadain weather