Oil Leekage

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys

Sorry if this thread has been posted before, I looked around but didn't see anything to help me. Today after school I came out to find my bike leaking oil from 2 places. First off let me say my suspicions: 1. It is a lot hotter today than it has ever been this year. 2. The oil in the engine has been overfilled a little bit... Well maybe quite a bit. Anyways back to the story, I came out and saw my bike dripping oil from two places. (BTW my bike was on the kickstand, this only seems to happen on the kickstand and not the center-stand.) Couple big puddles from the oil filter and ring of watery, oil, from a overflow tube. Can someone tell me what over flow tube this is and what is going on?

Thanks

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Just had someone else post about the same hose. There are two hoses like that, one to vent the fuel tank, and one is for fuel tank overflow. On a warm day it can happen, especially if your tank is full.

FloppyRunner

Motorcycle Noooooooooooob
Reaction score
Visit site
That tube is I believe some kind of fuel tank vent. In fact, if you look closely you should find two overflow tubes. Mine drip a bit on hot days in the parking lot. I believe it's normal, but somebody with more knowledge might be able to shed some more light on it. Are you sure it's not fuel?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, it will have a near "oil like look" to it. But its fuel vapor condensed to solid and once it melts into the blacktop it looks like oil. If you smell it, it will smell of gas and it is normal for the tank to vent off fumes in the sun. It really doesn't have to be "full" for this to happen but if full the fuel can easily rise to point of pushing out the actual solid fuel too. << hint, don't park next to fiery things like welders, cutters, gas water heaters...

As for the high temps, your chain lube could be running off due to increased temps and making the oil filter area look suspiciously guilty when its not. Clean under the front sprocket and watch it. Hopefully its nothing....

jspansel

Reaction score
Visit site
The tube is indeed gas, not oil. Just looks like oil when it evaporates on the ground.

IF you overfilled the oil that much, why not drain some back out? Leaking at the oil filter... did you tighten it? Possible the old oil filter gasket stuck on the engine and it double gasketed now?

I would take the filter off, clean it all up, make sure there is not a stuck gasket on the motor. Then a thin coat of oil on the filter gasket, re-install. Does not have to be monster wrenched on there. Hand tight then a little turn with a filter wrench is all I do.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The tube is indeed gas, not oil. Just looks like oil when it evaporates on the ground.

IF you overfilled the oil that much, why not drain some back out? Leaking at the oil filter... did you tighten it? Possible the old oil filter gasket stuck on the engine and it double gasketed now?

I would take the filter off, clean it all up, make sure there is not a stuck gasket on the motor. Then a thin coat of oil on the filter gasket, re-install. Does not have to be monster wrenched on there. Hand tight then a little turn with a filter wrench is all I do.

^^ Pulling the filter and dumping it is a good "controlled spill" to reduce the volume its over-filled. Also an over-full oil condition can compromise oil seals, create leaks, raise engine temps (because it takes work to MOVE OIL from the path of reciprocating parts) and obviously cause excessive venting of fumes/solids from the crankcase.

Checking it per the manual; start it warm until it idles down, engine off, let oil settle for 2 min., Remove dip stick and wipe it off, seat it to the case BUT DO NOT THREAD it in, Remove dip stick read oil level.

Please get that down ASAP.

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
You mentioned the oil filter. Is it wet with oil where it attaches to the engine?
It is definitely really gritty and oily around the filter.

Yes, it will have a near "oil like look" to it. But its fuel vapor condensed to solid and once it melts into the blacktop it looks like oil. If you smell it, it will smell of gas and it is normal for the tank to vent off fumes in the sun. It really doesn't have to be "full" for this to happen but if full the fuel can easily rise to point of pushing out the actual solid fuel too. << hint, don't park next to fiery things like welders, cutters, gas water heaters...

As for the high temps, your chain lube could be running off due to increased temps and making the oil filter area look suspiciously guilty when its not. Clean under the front sprocket and watch it. Hopefully its nothing....

Thanks for the help, its possible that some of what I am seeing is chain lube, however there was definitely oil leaking out of the filter which could be a contributing factor also.
Well I am glad that it is just gas coming out of the tube, I was worried there for a bit. Thanks for clearing that up!

I am going to change the oil in a few days since it is due, gotta make to not overfill it this time. :BLAA:

Thanks for the help everyone!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As posted above, clean around the sprocket for chain lube before replacing the filter. Any grit on the filter sealing surface will cause issues. Its also possible you over tightened the filter. It should be just beyond snug.

Also, if you've recently cleaned/lubed your clutch cable, excess oil IN THE CABLE, will drip out at the lower end of the cable (just above the engine crankcase, where it has a curve) and work its way down causing an apparent oil leak(which it isn't).

In the future, IF you overfill the engine by accident, simply loosen the oil filter slightly, oil will come out (volume depends on how far out you spin the filter). Re-snug and check the level. If there's grit loaded up around the filter, I WOULD NOT do this procedure as you may allow grit to drop onto the sealing surface causing a leak..