Opinions needed on a large purchase

adavi491

Reaction score
Visit site
These are going to be a one time purchase for many years. The helmet was sized for me at my local dealership. What do you guys think of the rest of the stuff? I don't want to have to buy most of this stuff again for years.... (God forbidding an accident)

Scorpion - EXO-700 Rivet Matte Helmet
Color - Blue, Size - Large
SKU#45866
Available - Usually leaves our warehouse in 3 business day(s).
$219.95
Update QuantityUpdate
RemoveRemove
$219.95
Scorpion EXO-700 Rivet Matte Helmet - Motorcycle Superstore

Scorpion - XDR Invasion Pants
Color - Black, Size - X-Large Tall
SKU#167580
$194.95
Update QuantityUpdate
RemoveRemove
$194.95
Scorpion XDR Invasion Pants - Motorcycle Superstore

Scorpion - XDR Recon Gloves
Color - Black, Size - Large
SKU#167594
In Stock - Usually leaves our warehouse same business day
$85.95
Update QuantityUpdate
RemoveRemove
$85.95
Scorpion XDR Recon Gloves - Motorcycle Superstore

Scorpion - XDR Assault Jacket
Color - Black, Size - Large
SKU#167556
$239.95
Update QuantityUpdate
RemoveRemove
$239.95
Scorpion XDR Assault Jacket - Motorcycle Superstore

Tour Master - Cortech Sport Saddlebag
Color - Black
SKU#43467
$116.99
You save
$13.00
Update QuantityUpdate
RemoveRemove
$116.99
Tour Master Cortech Sport Saddlebag - Motorcycle Superstore

Alpinestars - Summer Tech Sport Boxer
Color - Black, Size - Medium/Large
SKU#187532
Available - Usually leaves our warehouse in 4 business day(s).
$39.95
Update QuantityUpdate
RemoveRemove
$39.95
Alpinestars Summer Tech Sport Boxer - Motorcycle Superstore

Tour Master - Cortech Sport Tailbag
Color - Black
SKU#45200
$62.99
You save
$7.00
Update QuantityUpdate
RemoveRemove
Tour Master Cortech Sport Tailbag - Motorcycle Superstore

Free Shipping Promotion
You qualify for FREE SHIPPING!
$1,086.71
$6.99
(-$6.99)
(-$50.00)
$1,036.71

I can only comment on the helmet. I love my scorpion helmets. I have 2 ex400 (tribal, and octane). I also have a scorpion hat trick jacket, and I love it as well. Scorpion seems to be a great brand.

The only complaint and its not a bad one I have heard about scorpion is that they are heavy.

I will say something about the gear with out clicking links though.

Do all gear doesnt do anything well. If you are planning on riding when its hot or cold you will be happiest with application specific gear.

I like my Fieldsheer Highland II waterproof/windproof suit for winter, cold, wet, nasty rides. And perforated leather for late spring early summer, and mesh gear for over 95 days in the sun. If I just had to have only two it would the suit for winter, and the leather perforated for hot.

I purchased my Scorpion EXO 700 "Raider" Helmet for $139.00, so I think you are overpaying on the 700, which makes me wonder about the price of the other stuff.

Kind of loud, but does not fog up like my Shoe RF1000 because their is more distance between the front of my face and the front of the chin/helmet/visor.

I purchased my Scorpion EXO 700 "Raider" Helmet for $139.00, so I think you are overpaying on the 700, which makes me wonder about the price of the other stuff.

Kind of loud, but does not fog up like my Shoe RF1000 because their is more distance between the front of my face and the front of the chin/helmet/visor.

This also what i was going to say....high prices, shop around. I paid $159 for my scorpion EXO-700.

I used to have a Scorpion - then I saw the Made In China tag. I don't trust that country's oversight of manufacturing and their QA/QC practices.

I'd look at Shoei and Arai. More expensive - but this is your head. Those helmets have an excellent history and reputation.

I got a EXO 400 Octane after looking online for closeouts(pretty much on the budget gear market). I've never owned any other helmets but it does seem to be loud for longer trips. I also have out on weight and had to order different cheek pads...and that was a snap to find and change.

I would have to second the comment on weather specific gear. I own a Coretech flex II, that is as close to a 4 season(minus being heated) as i could find. I also got a Tourmaster Cruiser II thats leather and is tollerable for spring and fall or cooler night rides in the summer.

I see you have "riding underwear" or whatever there called. Not sure why you would need them, if you think you need them for longer rides you might find better deals on Under Armor or someting like it...breathability/wicking etc.

But its up to you, its quality stuff and not a horrible price, and if its the cheapest you have found for the stuff you like the look of then its WIN/WIN...

FWIW, you could check to see if any of that stuff is available in "discontinued" colors or patterns at your local dealership (or cheaper there, especially if you buy it in bulk), or online at Ebay or a site like newenough.com

Don't by a used helmet, but I am sure someone is trying to get rid of their saddlebags (I have the same ones I got from someone on here for a lot cheaper than that), tailbag, or whatever. That stuff can save you a bundle if you get it lightly used. Even jackets or pants can be found used, just make sure they haven't been "crash-tested"

The price for the Cortech bags sounds bout right, I have the three pieces and like them real well.

Oh, I know the price sounds right, I am just suggesting that he look at lightly used bags before committing to brand new. If money is no object, then my post can be disregarded, but I know he could probably get the three bags for at least $50 off those listed prices and have some extra cash for fuel ;)

I used to have a Scorpion - then I saw the Made In China tag. I don't trust that country's oversight of manufacturing and their QA/QC practices.
It's made in Veitnam now!!!!....LOL........I still bought it though.the fly zipper in the pant's broke after 2 weeks so find a tailor who can put in a metal one for you.all my gear is scorpion except my helmet which i will get in May.it,s good stuff it,s heavy like Wrightme said,but it's good in cold or hot weather even the rain.the liners are easy to remove and put back in also.I had to remove the shoulder pads from the jacket,they were too big,and uncomfortable with my backpack/trunk!! LOL

Last edited:
Helmets are very subjective. Find one that feels good on your head. I have a Scorpion for dirt bike riding. It's OK and it was cheap. For the street, I use a Shoei. Twice the price, but I love it. I can wear it all day. It is that comfortable. I use the Cortech tail bag. I use my FZ as a commuter. I can fit my laptop and pretty much everything I need into it.

I'm on my second EXO-700, Rivet (Silver), large and am pleased with it. I hear from people that compared to some nicer helmets it's a bit loud and heavy. For me, it's all-day comfy and my first one protected my fragile head the one time it needed to.

My next helmet won't be a scorpion, but I'd recommend one if you are looking for an inexpensive but high quality helmet.

As far the durability of the Scorpion EXO-700, I wore mine for 600 + straight days. No issues whatsoever, as mentioned, the padding comes off so you can wash them in the washer. Visor's can be replaced for about $35.

My bike is my only ride so I got my money's worth. I still have it and will wear from time to time, but it has been retired as my secondory or back-up helmet. And it has gotten favorable reviews and ratings, wouldn't really call it a poor helmet.

I would definately spend as much as you can afford to on the best quality helmet you can! The jacket and pants are pretty important too but you cant cast a brain.

Thanks everyone for all these posts. Looks like i will have just over $1000 to spend on equipment. I think i'm still going to stick with the helmet from the reviews and from the advice of the local yamaha track (whatever you call) president. He said three helmets fit my head and that was one of them. Next was a 400+ and 700+ helmet. (can't afford that at the moment). I have a big trip coming up in June and i need to get all this stuff for it. I will look into the "underwear" you mentioned at my local sports store.

Any other advice for a first timer on a 1 week trip in West Virginia? I will be going with a whole bunch of family members. Their experience ranges from many to a couple years of riding.

I also have never ridden in the rain. What should i prepare for? I also have this strange fear that the water will kill the electric work on the bike. Is that fear ridiculous?

The scorpion is a very good helmet, my girlfriend has one. It does not fog at ALL. It has an anti-fog coating applied to the visor. She does complain about the weight and noise as others have mentioned. It also has a weird profile, seems to be taller than my Shoei. More like an astronaut helmet. But that's about the only negative stuff. She got her EXO-700 for 109 from sportbiketrackgear.com.

The bike's electronics are completely rain proof. The chain should be relubed after every ride in the rain, maybe not cleaned, just given a shot of lube. Be VERY careful for the first 30-45 after it starts raining. The road is slipperiest with all the oil and crap that floats up before it washes off the surface. Take it easy with the acceleration and braking. I would reccomend reflective tape or a reflective jacket for rain riding. With the right gear, and being safe rain riding shouldn't be a problem.

I also have never ridden in the rain.

Unless that trip is coming up quickly, find some time to get some dirt riding in. Dunno if they have a little dirt school near you or some place to rent a dirt bike and toss it around, but nothing beats dirt for getting you comfortable with the bike sliding around.

I am a big fan of dirt riding for building a good set of street riding skills.

Riding in the rain is all about being smooth and relaxed. And steering extra-clear of cars, because drivers in the US don't know how to keep their windows clear, and drive around blind and nervous.

I've heard some folk say 'slow down in the rain,' but that alone won't do it. You can ride slowly, but if you're jerky and abrupt, you can still crash big. You can ride at a reasonable pace, and as long as you're smooth and relaxed, you're fine.

Back