Optimum engine speed for each gear

06fiz600

Reaction score
Visit site
After looking at the stock dyno chart and the gear ratios, I've come up with ideal engine speeds to shift at for peak performance. :rockon:

The owners manual has these ratios:
1-37/13-2.846
2-37/19-1.947
3-28/18-1.556
4-32/24-1.333
5-25/21-1.190
6-26/24-1.083

final-46/16-2.875

torquevswheelrpmforallgears.jpg

146_0606_02_zfun_factor_previewtorque_dyno1.jpg

The graph above is a matlab code that plots the wheel rpm (=engine rpm*gear*final drive) by the wheel torque(rear wheel torque data*gear*final drive)

example: in 1st gear holding it out past 1630 wheel rpm puts a lot less force down on the road

wheel rpm intersections.
wheelrpm*gear ratio*final drive.

Shifting:

1-2
shift @
13337rpm ---> 9124.1rpm (resulting rpm)

2-3
12813rpm ---> 10240rpm (resulting rpm)

3-4
12539rpm ---> 10742rpm (resulting rpm)

4-5
12329rpm ---> 11006rpm (resulting rpm)

5-6
12238rpm ---> 11137rpm (resulting rpm)

Last edited:

Chris_D

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure you know what you are talking about, and I'm also sure that you deserve kudos for telling us this, but what does it actually mean?

So, at what indicated (engine) RPM should I be shifting at for max output?

Cheers.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, if I'm correctly interrupting what your saying the optimum shift point keeps the engine in the best part of the power band. If the shift is too soon the engine would dorm to a lower RPM and less torque would be available. If the shift is too late the engine would be producing less power at the shift point than was available at the lower RPM where it would be if the shift was already made. Interesting stuff, now I know to shift from 1st to 2nd at about 13,500. The other shift would be around 12,500.

Good info and thanks from someone whose engineering degree is electrical.

mrtrees

Just a Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ahhh Matlab....once learned, is the savor for an aerospace engineering student, or any other for that matter, from the horrible clutches of FORTRAN 90...am I right? Anyone...? lol :BLAA:

Thanks a bunch for the info.

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
HOW DO I THANKS AGAIN? Anyway here it is - THANKS!!!!!:rockon:

This might explain why the front wheel will randomly lift up sometimes when I gun it from 1st to 2nd. This was a very useful post, tried it this afternoon and I could definitely feel that the shift points are awesome. Sort of learned it after riding the FZ for 2 years now, but it was good to see the hard data behind it.

Peace

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty cool math, however I have to question its validity in real world. Shifting out of 1st at just past 9k rpm is a dramatic short-shift. What rpm does it put you in in 2nd gear when you shift at 9k out of first and how long will it take for the engine to spin up to greatest output if it drops below optimal range?

I think you have to go past the maximum torque output in any given gear to land in the sweet spot of next gear. Otherwise there's a small bog-down effect which I think in the end will produce slower time.

It would be pretty awesome if someone tried this at the drag strip. Go through gears shifting at redline and on next run go through gears shifting at points stated above and compare the times. I have a feeling shifting at redline would yield faster time.

I think best time would be achieved on FZ6 when shift points are somewhere in the middle between redline and the shift points mentioned above.

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
That is good info to as I want to hit the track here soon if all possible. On the street I don't go much over 8 or I'll be way over the speed limitin a flash. :eek:

06fiz600

Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty cool math, however I have to question its validity in real world. Shifting out of 1st at just past 9k rpm is a dramatic short-shift. What rpm does it put you in in 2nd gear when you shift at 9k out of first and how long will it take for the engine to spin up to greatest output if it drops below optimal range?

I think you have to go past the maximum torque output in any given gear to land in the sweet spot of next gear. Otherwise there's a small bog-down effect which I think in the end will produce slower time.

It would be pretty awesome if someone tried this at the drag strip. Go through gears shifting at redline and on next run go through gears shifting at points stated above and compare the times. I have a feeling shifting at redline would yield faster time.

I think best time would be achieved on FZ6 when shift points are somewhere in the middle between redline and the shift points mentioned above.

Sorry, I should've explained it better. The first rpm is when you shift, and the second one is where the speed ends up in the next gear.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, I should've explained it better. The first rpm is when you shift, and the second one is where the speed ends up in the next gear.

Ah!! Now THAT makes perfect sense then! 1st RPM looks spot on for quickest times. :thumbup:

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice!!!!!!

I've done several times 1-2 around that range. Not that many times 2-3.
Not even close on the other ones !!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all of this. I only know that mine feels best (Really Good) slightly over 100 mph in 3rd!