OT: Post your scam stories

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
i ve been scammed once very recently. i had agreed to buy off some parts off a guy(mark coakley is the name) on ebay from a toyota hilux he was breaking. i wanted the parts for my dad's pick up. any way he didnt have paypal so i dumbingly sent a cheque for 300 gbp about 2months ago. i still havent received anything. the bank said he cashed the money and i was too late to open a case on ebay because he withdrew his name and items! so go figure i got scammed 300 gbp. i'll try to be more careful next time round:(:( he replied to all my message very very quickly so i figured he was an honest guy. but as of late he quit answering the last 2 or 3 msgs i sent to him.. then he withdrew from ebay (my fault i know i shouldn t have trusted)

C-bus Biker

Reaction score
Visit site
I love messing with these D-bags. I was looking for a GS for a friend of mine a few months ago and sniffed this guy out pretty quickly. Here's the text:

Nathen Krugens- D-bag scammer
Hi,
the bike is in great condition, has been properly maintained, has never been laid down or abused in any way. it comes with a clean title and the price I'm selling it for is $2800, which is including all charges.
I used to live in Westerville but I'm currently working in the UK (London) and I'll be moving here permanently within the next few months and I can't afford the luxury of taking the bike with me so I decided to let it go.
I'm using a privately-held company called Safehouse Self Storage Ltd. to sell this bike, I left it at their warehouse before leaving to the UK. they are supervising the entire sale process from payment, shipping with a 14-day return policy, title transfer service or/and (if needed) returns and refunding.
if you want to purchase it, let me know and I will explain you how the company works and how we can move forward.
Thanks

Me:

Well heck, save the shipping costs... Where is the bike now and I'll drive there to get it. I can give SafeHouse Self-Storage the cash. I'm currently unemployed and can drive my pick-up to pick it up. Let's get this done as I don't want to miss out on this spectacular find!

D-Bag:

hey,
the bike is being stored in Harrisburg, PA at Safehouse storage facility, the title and all paperwork is along with the bike in their possession. their sale policy is to deliver the vehicles with a 14-day inspection period right after the payment is confirmed, for inspection and to pick it up instead of have it delivered you have to schedule an appointment, and it could take up to 3 weeks until you have it set which is a timeframe that I'm not comfortable with.
I'm paying some fees each passing day and I would rather take advantage of their sale policy, so if you want to move forward with the purchase, let me explain you how they work and how we can proceed:
to start the official transaction I need your full name to be on the title along with your delivery address, I forward it to Safehouse and they will notify you with all the instructions (payment, shipping, return policy etc.).
one of their agents will be assigned to receive and handle payment. you have to transfer the funds to their agent as per their email directions and when the payment is complete you have to send them the transfers information, they verify it, deposit the purchase amount in their trust account then start the shipping process and you should be getting the bike in about 48 hours after your payment was confirmed. you will have a 14-day return policy starting with the day you receive the bike, so you will have the chance to test and inspect it before funds are released. if you decide to keep it, they have the Power of Attorney so they will transfer the title into your name and release me the funds, if not they will be responsible for the return shipping and you will have a complete refund within 3 days.
anyway, they will explain you detailed the entire process.
if you want to purchase it, I will be waiting your email so we can get started.
Thanks

Me:

Harrisburg! Perfect! My cousing runs a union operation out of Phili. He and some of his guys will meet you for payment. In fact, there is a construction site in Harrisburg that they have recently begun. Just started digging the holes, so watch your footing.

He didn't respond after that. :don'tknow:

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
My dad had two snowmobiles for sale quite a few years ago. Some dude contacted him from the Dominican Republic, offering about $1000 above what he was asking for each one...... didn't know they get snow there. Same sort of thing- he owed someone money so he was going to send my dad a check for the sale plus what he owed this guy. My dad was suppose to cash the check and give the balance to this guy when he showed up to pick up the machines. My dad went ahead and had this guy send the check- came in a UPS box from Saudi Arabia..........WTF?....... from a bank in Louisiana. So he took it to his banker and they called the bank in Louisiana and sure enough it was fake but they faxed a copy down there and they said it was dead-nuts-perfect for one of their cashiers checks, just a non-existent account number.

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
My dad had two snowmobiles for sale quite a few years ago. Some dude contacted him from the Dominican Republic, offering about $1000 above what he was asking for each one...... didn't know they get snow there. Same sort of thing- he owed someone money so he was going to send my dad a check for the sale plus what he owed this guy. My dad was suppose to cash the check and give the balance to this guy when he showed up to pick up the machines. My dad went ahead and had this guy send the check- came in a UPS box from Saudi Arabia..........WTF?....... from a bank in Louisiana. So he took it to his banker and they called the bank in Louisiana and sure enough it was fake but they faxed a copy down there and they said it was dead-nuts-perfect for one of their cashiers checks, just a non-existent account number.

You'd be surprised how many people actually do cash these checks. Although most banks won't allow people to cash them unless they have enough funds in their account (so the bank doesn't lose out if it is a fake check) which prevents alot of people from cashing them.

I used to work as a teller before I graduated from college in December. I'd say on average at my branch we'd catch 1-2/week, and then there were probably some that went through. Without calling the other bank, there's often no way to tell if it's a scam. Unless of course the customer volunteers the information about how they got it when they bring you the check. A lot of banks now require tellers to ask the customer "Do you know the person that gave you this check, what is the reason you received this check, etc."

I've had people that insisted on depositing the check when we were 100% sure it was fraudulent. They just refused to believe that was the case because they were so excited about getting extra "free" money. Even after explaining the fees that they would receive they still wanted to. IIRC, they ended up closing their account because we refused to deposit a fraudulent check.

Shantheman

Reaction score
Visit site
A guy with the email address [email protected] (and name Larry it appears) is attempting to "SELL" me specific parts I listed on the forum in the "parts wanted" thread.

BEWARE...he's scamming. Even if he's hacked someone else's account...don't send this guy money.

FYI!

1up1up

Reaction score
Visit site
I received an email response to my for-sale ad:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/bike...3-front-fairing-sale-2005-fz6-blue-front.html

Today I received this email from Stephie Ngene, [email protected] and wanted to add her information to the list of scammers:

"dear can i trust you?"

Dear Friend,

Greeting and how are you today.I am Miss Stephie Ngene, the Only Daughter of the late Micheal Ngene Uzuzu, my father was a gold and cocoa merchant based in Accra Ghana and Abidjan (Ivory Coast).I have the intention of investing this sum with your care and supervision in your country with a percentage that will be negotiated among us.

I know this mail may come to you as a surprise,since we have not known or written before.And he was poisoned to death by his business associates on one of their business trips recently. Before his death, he called me bedside him and told me that he has the sum of $6.500, 000USD deposited in one of the prime bank here in Abidjan Ivory Coast, that he used my name being the only Daughter as the next of kin in deposited fund.
If you are willing to cooperate with me let me know so that I will furnish you with more details on the next step for smooth achievement of this risk free transaction.Contact me on this private email [email protected] for more details and all the legal documents of the deposited money and my photos.

Sincerly,
Stephie Ngene.

With your experiences, is there anything I can do to cause inconvenience to her in return?

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
In my line of work, we would consider this an attempt to use you as a mule for money laundering. You could report it to FinCEN but I doubt you'd get anywhere with it. They send these out en masse.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
This may be worth "stickying" as it may save ppl a lot of troubles...

Anyone not as lucky and lost some $$?

1. I posted a laptop on ebay, the guy is ready to pay me the price i listed with 100$ for shipping to africa, and he mentioned the fastest shipping possible as he is giving as a b'day present(too senti right, i fell for that:spank:) and asked me to add a b'day card too(what a fool i'm , i fell for this too:spank:). He send me a fake paypal transaction email(i'm new to selling on ebay). Sent out the laptop on monday morning, USPS, insurance and tracking. Came back in the evening, i don't see my money yet, called ebay and they said it is fraud(after fighting with him, he gave me a ebay gift card for 100$, which got expired before i use :( FREE MONEY Doesn't stay with me). So went to USPS next morning, asked them to return my package(paid 10$), finally after few months, USPS lost my package and claimed the money for the insurance and again after few months, i got my money. But, that was a bad exp, that A$$# played with my emotions too.
2. I once posted a post on rideshare as i'm going from my place to san jose and returning in particular dates in a rented car, and i want to save some money.
After a day i posted, someone sent me a text message asking for a personal chauffeur for her daughter who will be coming to my place for some medical research. Job is to drive her around when she needed(8 hours per week, and 6 hrs over the weekend). They'll pay me for rental car, gas and some money for me for driving her around. They actually sent me a fake check(with some extra money) and asked me to pay/M.O to someone(the extra money), I said(based on previous exp) as soon as i see funds in my account (once the check is cleared), i'll pay them. The check got bounced and BOFA charged me 12$ for such check.
3. I posted my 04Sentra, craigslist for 3500$, he agreed to pay 4300$, where i have to pay 800$ for the shipping/transport company via money order, he actually gave a fake phone number for shipping company, i called the number and found out fake, I told the same thing to him and he said, I'm fake and he will call FBI or something, i immediately sent an address and said, send'em all, i'll be waiting for them..! I've send another email saying, no cops didn't came :Flip:. Similar scam, two more people in the same day..!

Last edited:

carlwicker

Reaction score
Visit site
I've come across so many scammers contacting me via FZ6 forums and Facebook groups whilst hunting for a specific ECU.

I've found that requesting images of the part, then doing a google reverse image search on the image they send often locates where the scammers get the image.

1: Request image of parts from seller, and their location.
2: https://images.google.com (click the camera icon in the search bar to upload the image they provide)
3: check results, 9 out of 10 times google images will find where they pulled the image they send you..

I have caught out many scammers using this technique when searching for parts.

It's also worth checking image EXIF data too, right click image, then properties. however this can manipulated.

Last edited: