Ottimotto rearsets installed

agp

Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered Ottimotto rearsets on Monday, recieved them Saturday. They cost $250 and change with the upgraded shipping. I'm going to give a quick write-up right now, I'll post pictures later tonight or tomorrow.

They come completely unassembled. The "instructions" are six black and white pictures, 3 of each side. Using the instructions, the pictures in the original thread about these, and trial and error I assembled them before trying to put them on the bike.

The shift side went on easily. The brake side was a little bit of a pain.

Overall they're decent quality. The distance between the footpegs and the pegs on the levers is shorter than stock. Shifter action seems smoother than stock. Vibrates more than stock.

I'm happy with them. So far I really enjoy the more agressive riding position. I think that they were worth the price.

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
Great news! These are HIGH on my list of things to do.

When you get a chance, can you elaborate on what made the brake side tougher to install?

Look forward to seeing the pics.

agp

Reaction score
Visit site
Below are pictures of the rearsets unassembled, the instructions, and the shifter side.

The only trick to putting on the shifter side rearset involves the shift linkage. The pivoting metal part that the rods are connected to can hit where the rearset mounts to the frame if the rods aren't adjusted properly. If it's hitting the bike can't shift. Despite this the shift lever still has nice range of adjustability.

It feels nice and smooth shifting through the gears. I'm glad to be rid of the rubber on the footrest and the shift lever peg.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
By the picture of your assembeled parts in your hand, cna I assume you have them set up for the higest and farthest back possible position?

How does it relate to the OEM postion... inches wise? Looks like a really clean installation.

agp

Reaction score
Visit site
The correct spelling is Ottimoto....sorry.

Now the brake side.....

It was easier to install the brake side rearsets unassembled. The rearset doesn't activate the brake in the same manner as stock, simpler actually. The bolt behind the footpeg connects to the rod on the brake cylinder and the brake light switch connects to the peg on the inside of the lever.

I found it easiest to first connect the brake cylinder to it's mounting plate. The brake cylinder is now orientated up and down as opposed to at an angle.

I then mounted the brake light switch. Stock, the brake light switch threads into a collar that clips into the back of the rearset and is connected to brake lever by a spring. I found that mounting the switch like stock caused the switch to always be on because the spring wasn't long enough. To solve this I unscrewed the collar from the switch and put the switch through the mounting hole without the collar and screwed the collar back on. This allowed the switch to sit low enough that so that it wasn't always on. The picture of the rearset off the bike shows the switch mounted in the manner that doesn't work. The closeup of switch with the rearset on the bike shows the switch mounted so that it works properly.

The last things to do were bolt the rearset on and go for a ride.

agp

Reaction score
Visit site
I do have them mounted as high and far back as they go.

I never measured position vs. OEM, sorry. When I took it for the first ride I was amazed at how different the riding position felt. You wouldn't think moving the pegs by what seems to be a small distance would make a difference in riding position. I like the more aggressive position and I am going to keep the pegs where they are. I will try to take some measurements tomorrow.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I had the same problem with the brake switch with my RIZOMA rearsets. Solution = I just stretched the srping a bit with some plyers and bob's your uncle!

Any issues with the center stand foot pad making contact with the left side rear sets when taking the bike off the center stand? (another issue I still have with the ROZOMAs - no centerstands on FZ6's in Italy I guess...)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am really impressed with the quality. For $250 they appear to be the best value out there. Very nice!

yoka

Reaction score
Visit site
Great mod, looking forward to order mine, yet waiting for some hard earned cash to put them in the right place.

Where did you order them from?

Pelicanglider

Citizen of Creola
Reaction score
Visit site
I would really like to see a picture of you on the bike to get an idea of how much the rearsets change the riding position. I've never considered them, but was impressed by the quality and how well they seemed to fit. Track day, anyone?

agp

Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered directly from their website:

Ottimoto Store (Ducati, Honda..)

They also sell them on ebay.

I'll try to get some pictures of me on the bike soon. I haven't been getting home until after dark and I don't have a garage. By this weekend I'll have some more pictures for sure.

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Any issues with the center stand foot pad making contact with the left side rear sets when taking the bike off the center stand? (another issue I still have with the ROZOMAs - no centerstands on FZ6's in Italy I guess...)

Hey Boneman - I solved this by supergluing about a half inch stack of rubber washers to the stock rubber stopper. Keeps the center stand from coming up as far. 3 years and no issues. :D

Philoz

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey mate, great pics thanks. I was hoping someone else had already gone to the trouble of installing :). Mine arrived yesterday and I'm keen to fit them, so your write-up will be very helpful.

Incidentally, given the Aussie/US exchange rate, they are on ebay Aus for A$330 delivered. I bought mine on ebay US for A$270 delivered. Seeing as they come from Asia, it didn't make any difference on the postage to have them sent here instead of the US. $60 saved - happy days - now to go bet on the Melbourne cup....

Philoz

Reaction score
Visit site
So it's taken a while, but the Ottimoto rearsets are now on - yeeeha! Track day on Sunday so will see how they go.

My thoughts are that they are great for the money, build quality is nice and they look good too (especially with black frame, black bike).

The main reason for getting them though was ground clearance and that's been well covered. I have mine on the second lowest position (out of 4) and they are approx 2" higher than stock pegs. I have put them as far back as possible (3 positions available) and they are 2" further back than stock.

They are also a shorter peg than stock, i.e. don't stick out of the bike sideways so much, so this gives even more clearance, not that you need it by this point.

However, there have been some bumps in the journey.

First off, they're not the easiest to fit. The pics by Noodle and AGP were very helpful – big thanks for those – but even with them, it took me a good 4 hours to install them and set them up. The instructions you get with kit are rubbish.

One major problem was that I was sent a brake arm for a different bike. Took me a while to work that one out! Ron from Ottimoto was very quick to send a replacement, but it delayed things by a week and leaves you worrying about what else might be wrong.

Other minor issues was the pivot arm for the gear change had holes that were not counter-sunk, so the bolts did not fit (not long enough), although easily fixed with a drill. Also, a couple of the bolts were too long or too short, one needed grinding down, a couple others swapping over. The gear side needed standing off the bike with spacers, but the brake side was fine without spacers. Not big things in themselves, but it took a little extra time and patience.

But overall, I’m happy with the product and the service. Ottimoto appear to be a good company and there’s no denying that price – just make sure to print off the install pics from Noodle or AGP :)

http://www.600riders.com/forum/memb...-peg-position-new-ottimoto-rearset-behind.jpg

http://www.600riders.com/forum/members/philoz-albums-philoz-pics-picture5307t-ottimoto-rearset.jpg

sublime0713

Gun nut
Reaction score
Visit site
I have also done this install. Although I haven't gotten in the riding time since it decided to get cold right after the install I have one problem. The brake side seems to stick a bit. I did stretch the switch spring a bit to keep the light off when not depressed (thanks Boneman!) but if I just push the lever and let off it (brake light) will stay slightly on. If I pull up with my toe or do a quick mash on the lever again it will come off. The stock setup had a stiff spring to pull the lever back to true but not so with the Ottimotos. Anyone experience this, or any suggestions on how to address?
Thanks

DEMIbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
I have done that install and I would like to know if it's normal that the brake side seems to have less travel than the stock one. I haven't try it yet but it seems to be way more direct. Is it normal?

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Below are pictures of the rearsets unassembled, the instructions, and the shifter side.

The only trick to putting on the shifter side rearset involves the shift linkage. The pivoting metal part that the rods are connected to can hit where the rearset mounts to the frame if the rods aren't adjusted properly. If it's hitting the bike can't shift. Despite this the shift lever still has nice range of adjustability.

It feels nice and smooth shifting through the gears. I'm glad to be rid of the rubber on the footrest and the shift lever peg.

I know this is an old thread, I am having trouble getting shifter to work properly :( I will have mess with it tomorrow. It will either only shift down, or only shift up after I keep readjusting it, possibly might take it to the dealer tomorrow and let them fool with it...I was hoping I could finish it tonight but its midnight here and time for bed. I got the brake side to work though!

samlynn37

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks to agp's posts, got my rearset installed.. took some adjusting on both sides (actually a lot of adjusting:confused:..), finally got them on.. moved my brake pedal down as much as the push rod can allow (even had to file a little off at the end), and now both pedals working beautifully.. i did notice after i installed the resrset, shifting seems so smooth.. there were couple times when i shifted i thought i missed the pedals (yes, it was that smooth..) as for the brake light switch, i re-shapped the end of the spring to make it just a little longer.. here are some pics.. very happy with the look and functionality, as for the "more aggressive riding position", i didnt really feel it that much.. one thing i dont really like is the carbon fiber heel guards.. wish they machined a matching color aluminum ones.. just feels so flimsy and might be a weakest link in the future.. got one question, how do you solve the problem with the center stand?? crazy glue another rubber stopper there?? i was thinking make a bracket to mount the stopper further in so the end of the stand wont hit the swing arm..

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
ive just ordered a set of gilles rearsets,and from wot ive read there's no dedicated return spring for the brake pedal either, cant wait to fit them,ive ordered titanium colour as black rearsets on a black frame is to stealthy and gold to bling for me,been 6'4 iam looking to drop my knees a little,i ride with the balls of feet on the pegs and have to shift my feet forward to brake and shift,so moving the pegs back should be fine for me,ground clearance has never been an issue on the fz,i can get to the edge of the rear tyre and not scrape the stock peg bobbles,hope the vibes arent bad though
nick

Last edited: