Painted gas tank cap

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
Well had some spare time a couple of days back and was painting damage after a low speed drop on one side (finally managed to find a company in Europe that produces yama specific colours!)
and well...suddenly found myself unscrewing and masking off bits of my gas tank cap. Stone cold stole it from boneman - thanks.
Initially I was going to only do the ring, but when I peeled off the masking tape a tiny wedge of the center cover came out black. So I decided to just do the whole center in black and I'm quite happy about it.
I went clean-mask-primer-gloss black-clear coat-remount. Chose gloss black to match the rizomas on the bars. Generally I'm trying to add more black accents to my bike and this was a good step in that direction.

oh and it was easy and fun (what other possible excuse would you have to remove your gas tank cap??)

and the pics are proudly displaying my new FZ1 bars as well :)

Nick314

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks slick! Thanks for posting the bar in lock position, I am going to order a FZ1 bar tomorrow but I was a little scared it might hit the gas tank as the bar is about 4cm lower than the original FZ6 one. You convinced me :)

About the mod on the gas tank: I assume you use the original lid?

Last edited:

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
- yup I just unscrewed the original cap (6 screws, all hex) and cleaned it up. Slightly worried about dropping the screws into the tank at one point, but aside from that easy peasy.

- that's gloss black.