PCV/Autotune and battery

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey gang,

Hooked up a PCV and autotune the other day. First test ride went fine. Uploaded new firmware, map, etc. then went for a 15 minute ride to my parents place. Was there for lunch, then when I left, it started, but at the first stop sign, it died. Fired back up, headed for home. It then died again when I pulled the clutch in at a light. Started up, went home.

In the garage, I could replicate the problem anytime I revved up and quickly closed the throttle, or pulled clutch in.

I unplugged PCV, could not get it to replicate in the few minutes I tried. Plugged it back in, problem occurs.

PCV is grounded and hooked up correctly. I tapped the speed sensor and temp sensor according to directions. Autotune is grounded and getting 12v switched from the tail light (right before connector in right rear cowling).

While waiting to hear back from Dyno as Fuel Moto needed to pass me off as tehy were stumped, I took out the multimeter on the battery. While in, I noticed it was decreasing a hundredth of a volt every few seconds (12.45-12.44-12.43).

Pulled the battery, does the same thing (albeit a few seconds longer between drops). Does this seem abnormal??

After charging the battery to 12.5 last night, this morning I put it back in for some more tests. Held the multimeter on there, dipped to 11.4 or something during start, goes up to 13.5 or so around 4500 RPM. At idle, though, still decreases.

My theory is that somehow the extra pull of PCV and Autotune somehow makes a bad battery worse, but before I run off to the store to test and possibly buy a new one, just wondering what else I might check using my tools here. I know very little about the charging system, etc., but I'm always up for learning.

Thanks as always,

Scorp

EDIT: Just checked the rectifier. Don't know what this it: "Set the engine tachometer to the ignition
coil of cylinder #1." but at 5000RPM, it was only 13.5-13.6. Service manual states it should be over 14.

Last edited:

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if the rectifier is a problem or not but I do know that at idle, the bike does't provide enough umph to charge the battery. You really have to get it up around 5 or 6K RPM to get a charging voltage. So I'm not surprised to see it drop off over time at idle and I don't think that the issue is related to the PCV. I could be wrong, it just seems about normal to me.

I have a PCIII in my bike w/ scorps. Until the bike warms up, it will act simmilary to yours. If I'm idling and I give it a rev before she warms up it will occasionally stall when the revs come down. It is fine after she warms up.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if the rectifier is a problem or not but I do know that at idle, the bike does't provide enough umph to charge the battery. You really have to get it up around 5 or 6K RPM to get a charging voltage. So I'm not surprised to see it drop off over time at idle and I don't think that the issue is related to the PCV. I could be wrong, it just seems about normal to me.

I have a PCIII in my bike w/ scorps. Until the bike warms up, it will act simmilary to yours. If I'm idling and I give it a rev before she warms up it will occasionally stall when the revs come down. It is fine after she warms up.
Seems odd that it would drop that quickly. If the rate is constant, it would drain completely in 3 and half hours!

But, it doesn't just do this cold. When I took it for a test ride yesterday to try and reset the PCV throttle (as suggested by Fuel Moto as a fix), the bike was warmed up and still died every time I quickly closed throttle or pulled the clutch in.

We will see. I'll try to get in touch with others and actually get dynojet on the phone and see what they say.

Scorp

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update:

Called Dynojet, and after one guy ran me through the first tier checks (0's at low throttle, RPM, etc), he asked what bike again, I said Fz6, and he immediately transferred me to Stanley, who gave me an RMA number and asked me to send my unit in to have it reprogrammed. Same thing as Shiloh (sp?) I believe.

His reasoning was that the Fz6 needed special programming because of the batch injectors. He was nice and overall, excluding wait time, the call was only a few minutes. However, if they are aware, why not just build it in? And why doesn't everyone have the issue?

So I will ship it off when the post office opens tomorrrow. I'll keep everyone updated.

Thanks again,

Scorp

Last edited:

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last update for those of you that may need this in the future. Got my PCV back from Dyno in about two weeks after I mailed it.

Same unit, not replaced, but they did reprogram it. Here is the email I got when I asked exactly what they did:

"Your return says that the unit was sent in because it was causing the engine to stall when it decelerated down to an idle. This is being caused by a feature in the unit called "off edge toggle." We have simply turned that feature off in the unit. This should correct the issue and all other aspects of the unit are still the same.
We simply made the correction and returned it to you. You should be able to use it as normal."

I just got it reinstalled and got in a few minute ride before the storm hit. I couldn't mimic the problem on the road or in the garage like I could before.

Hopefully this is the end of any problems and the PCV and autotune will work well together.

Scorp