Performance Upgrades to 2008 FZ6

tony

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my 2008 FZ6 last year and it came with a two brothers exhaust(slip-on) and the two brothers fuel commander. Im looking at trying to enhance the performance on it some. I've been told of a few things that I can do but I wanted to see who else has been any work to theirs and see if its worth spending the money. I'm still learning about the internals of bikes, so far I've only made modifications to the looks of the bike.
Suggested mods: Smog block-offs, flash ecu, PC 5, changing gear ratio.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
why do you need extra performance? Are you legit racing? If not, whatever you do to it to increase horsepower is going to come at the expense of fuel costs. To me, performance mods on a street bike like the FZ6 aren't worth it, the stock ~100hp is more than enough to beat 99% of cars from a stoplight, and plenty of passing power on the highways.

To me, if you want "performance" your money is better spent on improving the suspension. Or mods that will let you ride more or more often, like luggage, a more comfortable seat, etc. Or better lighting or better quality riding gear.

So to answer your question, no I haven't done any engine performance mods.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Tony,

It's your bike. Mod it as you wish. :thumbup:

For me, I'm pretty close to Matt and the goose guy in that I've done more for handling and comfort.

I was considering the ECU flash, just before I installed the R6 forks. My interest was in smoothing out the abrupt throttle response for better confidence in curves.But I'm less interested now thanks to the the huge improvement in the forks.

Enjoy the bike!

Chris

UpInTheAir89

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Tony,

I know a lot of people will jump on the "just buy an R6" train, or "just spend money on a faster bike". I'm of the philosophy of do whatever you want to your bike as long as you're getting into it for the right reasons and know what you're getting into!
I know my bike wont beat a track-modified R6 or GSXR on a track, but I like having a nice commuter-track fusion.

All that said:
$$$ - Slip-on exhaust (you have this, from what I hear)
$$ - de-cat midpipe
$$ - FZ6 S1 (<2007) headers (the S2 has two cat's in it)
0$ - Airbox mod (cut open the airbox more for increased airflow)
$ - K&N filter
$$$ - (if you do the things above to increase the airflow) get it tuned to adjust for the increased airflow (otherwise it will run too lean)... go to a dyno with your PC or send your ECU into someone to get it flashed
$$$ - power commander (sounds like you have this)
$$-$$$- Yamaha R6 forks
$$ - swap sprockets (lower in front and/or higher in rear makes it more torque-y)
$$ - Upgraded brake lines
$ - Upgraded brake pads
0$ - Remove excess weight via different methods
$$-$$$ - Upgraded tires

That's off the top of my head.

Hope it helps!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With a flash starting $375 one can get pretty happy with a little effort.
Air box mod
S1 header
CAT delete mid-pipe
Advance the ignition 5°
A tune on a fuel controller and walla - throttle chop is gone. It pulls the nose up and generally behaves as it should.
I'm happy but know it has more to give with that ecu flash to unlock the ignition advance curve in 1st - 2nd...