FZ6 Exhaust ?

Dr Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow that is very interesting! I can see how just that bit of pressure in each fork would tighten it right up.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow that is very interesting! I can see how just that bit of pressure in each fork would tighten it right up.

With all due respect to Scott, adding air will increase the overall spring rate and preload, but it does nothing to control compression and rebound damping. For the low price of 2 schrader valves and some time on the drill press, you can make some improvements over stock, but it is by no means a replacement for a fully adjustable suspension.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With all due respect to Scott, adding air will increase the overall spring rate and preload, but it does nothing to control compression and rebound damping. For the low price of 2 schrader valves and some time on the drill press, you can make some improvements over stock, but it is by no means a replacement for a fully adjustable suspension.

For my needs, it works great.. Increasing pressure does indeed adjust/increase compression.

Sag/compression is infinitely adjustable.. Changing oil viscosity will also help adjustability.

For someone who does not want/need the fully adjustability forks (I don't), IME, it's a great upgrade, especially for cheap and ease..

I wish you could ride my bike with this cheap mod. I think you'd be very surprised..

Veloce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Regarding the forks (I hate making off-topic posts...but it did come up)....

In post #14 the OP mentioned that he is a "bigger guy". The OEM spring rate is 0.77kg/mm - that rate is for someone who is about 150 pounds. My guess is that a "bigger guy" is more than 150 pounds. Moreover, the OEM springs are progressively wound, and I find progressive fork springs down-right spooky - you get a lot of brake dive. Unfortunately progressive wound springs are often used in damping rod forks because there isn't any variable damping - it's a fixed orifice.

At the very least I would get fork spring in a rate that is appropriate to your weight. If you want to do it right, install Racetech Gold Valve Emulators (GVE) and linear/straight rate springs. This will have a transformative effect on the bike. If you want to go "all-in" on rebuildable/custom valving, then R6 forks are the way to go...but in order to make that happen you will need to have some custom parts fabricated (wheel spacers).

Summary: The OEM forks suck, Springs ($125) and GVE ($175) with some 15w fork oil change the bike, and R6 cartridge forks are the best solution. Oh, and loud pipes have never saved a single life (there's some raw meat to argue over).

Dr Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
You’d be an FZ6 S2 07-10:

A tip for using their site:
You can choose USD and USA delivery in their drop down menu. Makes it way easier than trying to do the conversion math.
Dude thank you sooo much!!! Now I just can’t decide if I want to shell out the extra $200 for carbon ovals! Man that’s steep haha but I think I just might. $438 is a great deal though just for the stainless rounds.

Dr Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
Regarding the forks (I hate making off-topic posts...but it did come up)....

In post #14 the OP mentioned that he is a "bigger guy". The OEM spring rate is 0.77kg/mm - that rate is for someone who is about 150 pounds. My guess is that a "bigger guy" is more than 150 pounds. Moreover, the OEM springs are progressively wound, and I find progressive fork springs down-right spooky - you get a lot of brake dive. Unfortunately progressive wound springs are often used in damping rod forks because there isn't any variable damping - it's a fixed orifice.

At the very least I would get fork spring in a rate that is appropriate to your weight. If you want to do it right, install Racetech Gold Valve Emulators (GVE) and linear/straight rate springs. This will have a transformative effect on the bike. If you want to go "all-in" on rebuildable/custom valving, then R6 forks are the way to go...but in order to make that happen you will need to have some custom parts fabricated (wheel spacers).

Summary: The OEM forks suck, Springs ($125) and GVE ($175) with some 15w fork oil change the bike, and R6 cartridge forks are the best solution. Oh, and loud pipes have never saved a single life (there's some raw meat to argue over).
Ya I’m about 235-240 so I know it’s not set up for me I can feel it! Hoping to get down to around 200 after summer we’ll see though. Great info thank you that will be my next focus point then what would the R6 forks be in price comparison to the race tech? You say the R6 setup is the better route in your opinion?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You say the R6 setup is the better route in your opinion?

Better...no I wouldn't say that. It comes down to your use case and expectations. R6 forks are modern cartridge type forks (but not upside-down). As a track focused bike the R6 forks have external adjustable damping rebound and compression "clickers" and adjustable preload. Moreover, the damping shim stacks are rebuildable and can be modified to extract the most performance under extreme conditions. Is this your use case?

GVE allow for variable and adjustable compression damping. This is not adjustable externally. The valve spring rate is adjusted on the valve itself, meaning that in order to make a change the valve must be removed from the fork. I can usually do this in less than 5 minutes per fork. Rebound damping is set via oil weight and oil height, once again internal.

So which is better? If you'll be tracking the bike where you will want to make suspension adjustments after practice laps and after each heat, then obviously R6 forks are the logical choice. If you are looking for forks that offer a compliant ride and predictable handling for street use, then GVE are inexpensive and easy to install. I have bikes with external clickers and internal GVE (I will never own a damping rod fork ever again). I'm a street rider and I find that once I have my suspension dialed in, I rarely make a changes.

Regarding cost, I noted the cost of a GVE/Spring setup - around $300 plus fork oil. I added adjustable preload fork caps to my forks for $75. They aren't necessary, but they look damn cool and they do make setting preload easy. R6 forks will cost you $300 to $500 depending on condition, and then you'll have to buy new springs (still around $125) and potentially un-do any changes that the previous owner made to the shim stacks - which means a bench rebuild costing around $125-$175 (depending if you just want to return it to OEM, or have the shim stacks set up for you). If you are getting the forks off eBay where the original owner can't tell you anything about the forks, then the shim stack service will have to be performed. Then you will have to have the wheel spacers made. I'd say that the R6 fork setup is in the range of $500 to $750.

Dr Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow yea I don’t plan on track days anytime soon just want a very good performing and predictable handling street bike. Although I do like clickers haha the Race Techs sound good enough for me. I’m thinking this exhaust, the front fork upgrade and a rear suspension upgrade as well then maybe just a few aesthetic upgrades around the bike and I should be satisfied for some time!

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do any reputable manufactures still produce exhausts for the FZ6? Having trouble finding an exhaust for my bike. Trying to stay away from the eBay route. Would love a Two Brothers but it seems they are discontinued after talking with them on the phone.. and I’m guessing most other major name brands? Sorry I’m sure this has been discussed previously any info would be great and/or suggestions on current exhaust manufactures.
I'm going through a mid life crisis so I felt that loud pipes was the cure. I just installed a set of G.P.R exhaust pipes I got off the internet. They were out of Italy. I was a bit hesitant at first, but they came a week ahead of the scheduled time of arrival. The installation instructions left a bit to be desired. However there is a good youtube post on how to install them. Install was actually pretty easy just take your time and the manufacture sent me a follow up E-mail on how I liked them. They look good and sound great, I would recommend them if you're looking for new pipes.

Attachments

• 20210523_070836[1].jpg
    20210523_070836[1].jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 23

Dr Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going through a mid life crisis so I felt that loud pipes was the cure. I just installed a set of G.P.R exhaust pipes I got off the internet. They were out of Italy. I was a bit hesitant at first, but they came a week ahead of the scheduled time of arrival. The installation instructions left a bit to be desired. However there is a good youtube post on how to install them. Install was actually pretty easy just take your time and the manufacture sent me a follow up E-mail on how I liked them. They look good and sound great, I would recommend them if you're looking for new pipes.
I was considering these but luckily I was able to find some Scorpions for sale overseas! Those look pretty nice on there how is the sound?

Seth Wilson

Site Supporter
Reaction score
twitter.com
Scorps are nice, but I was under the impression that you cannot get them any more, unless you buy them used.

I purchased my Titanium oval from RG Racing 2 months ago. There was a 3-4 week build time, but it arrived!

Attachments

• E51F391F-1875-4D62-BE8F-C50E939BB83A.jpeg
    E51F391F-1875-4D62-BE8F-C50E939BB83A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • 22C945F2-B8F2-4A65-804F-6A215E6B778F.jpeg
    22C945F2-B8F2-4A65-804F-6A215E6B778F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • E0D8A512-8682-4162-B7E3-2DAAC5BA9160.jpeg
    E0D8A512-8682-4162-B7E3-2DAAC5BA9160.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was considering these but luckily I was able to find some Scorpions for sale overseas! Those look pretty nice on there how is the sound?
They sound very deep throaty, very nice. I highly recommend the G.P.R exhaust. If your planning a cat delete pipe you will have to do bit of searching for one. Good luck.

Paul Myrus

Reaction score
Visit site
My mechanic, threw on a pair of Dominator exhausts 07 FZ6
Dominator come from Poland, amazing sound, love the slip ons not expensive either!

fazerkid78

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered a gpr ghost system off of Amazon the other day for 470 plus shipping but the order still hasn't shipped yet. I'm having trouble finding exhausts still in stock for this bike. I hope they actually have the exhaust in stock unlike the leo vince I tried to order off of ebay before I tried to order the gpr

Veloce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered a gpr ghost system off of Amazon the other day for 470 plus shipping but the order still hasn't shipped yet. I'm having trouble finding exhausts still in stock for this bike. I hope they actually have the exhaust in stock unlike the leo vince I tried to order off of ebay before I tried to order the gpr
You can order brand new Scorpions from sportsbikeshop.co.uk. They ship to the US. I got mine there a few months ago. Read through previous posts on this thread for more info.