Please Help. Error Code 46 and Engine light

chrissmith4483

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, I decided to sync my throttle bodies. No problem there, just takes a long time to dial them in. As I was finishing up, the bike suddenly died and the check engine light came on followed by the error code #46.
I did run the bike at idle for about 45 minutes while adjusting the throttle bodies, and it did get warm. I also left the high beam on,(I never turn it off and didn't think about it here)
My guess is that the combination of the fan running and the high beam killed the battery at idle.
1.So, did I just wear down the battery in 45 minutes at idle or is this something of a bigger issue?
2. Also, If I am able to get the bike started again will the check engine light go away?
3. Does the engine light always come on with an error code, or are 2 separate things happening here (at the same exact time?) Thanks guys
4. When I try to start the bike now, it makes a loud buzz, but doesn't try to turn over... is this normal?

Last edited:

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
I just found a thread by Admin that listed all of the error codes (sorry I dont' know how to link to it) but #46 was

Fault Code: 46
Diagnostic Code: --
Symptom: Power supply to the FI system is not normal.

Probable cause of malfunction:
Malfunction in "CHARGING SYSTEM".

This seems to coincide with your initial thoughts so I guess that's good news. Although it seems strange to me that the charging system did not keep the battery up unless it was low to begin with. Then again, it was at idle for that long and the system may not have been running fast enough to keep up with the draw. As far as the check engine light going off when you start it again, the short answer is I have no idea but my guess would be that it was related to the error code and would go off when there is a full charge.

I guess I would check and recharge or get a new battery if the old one is bad and see what happens.

Let us know what happens and good luck:D

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
check if all wires are ok connected, maybe you pulled slightly something doing/undoing the tank, not so possible but why bother charging/changing your battery only to find out it was just a click on a connector?

coffebean

student on wheels
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have a charger which is able to supply power on itself? Maybe you could try it like that... Just an idea to test whether it's the battery that's screwed here.

Last edited:

sublime0713

Gun nut
Reaction score
Visit site
The stator won't charge the battery at idle speed. The engine speed must be higher (riding speeds). Someone smarter can elaborate.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Check your connections to the battery
Sounds like you have a dead battery.
Charge the battery.
The battery will die for a number of reasons and one of them is repeat starting the bike but not riding it or having the engine RPM above 2000 so as to recharge the battery.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
I did run the bike at idle for about 45 minutes while adjusting the throttle bodies, and it did get warm. I also left the high beam on,(I never turn it off and didn't think about it here)
My guess is that the combination of the fan running and the high beam killed the battery at idle.

That sounds right. The charging system is designed to operate form about 5000rpm upwards, ie fine while you're riding. But 45 minutes of high beam and fan could drain it totally like you experienced.
The buzz thing is normal for almost dead battery, i had that too when my stator was bust.

I don't imagine there'd be after affects though, recharging should be fine ... good luck!

chrissmith4483

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone problem resolved. Jumped the bike with a car battery and road it all day. Starts fine now and no more light or error codes :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone problem resolved. Jumped the bike with a car battery and road it all day. Starts fine now and no more light or error codes :)

Keep in mind for future reference, in case you are not aware: When you jump your bike from a car, the car engine should be off. This because we have shunt type regulators on our bikes and the car alternator could cause damage to it. So, battery to battery is okay but car engine off! :D