please help me understand this...

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
So, while fantasizing about my next 600 to buy I was idly browsing the Honda site and saw that the CBR600RR now comes with ABS! A track bike comes with ABS while our street/commuter orientated FZ6 doesnt! It is 2009 afterall Yamaha!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
maybe the theory is that riders shouldn't be riding hard enough to need it on the street.

Also the European version of the FZ6 IS offered with ABS, just not in the states... weird...

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Because Americans are fussy and the added weight robs HP. :D We're not concerned about stopping... GO GO GO!

Seriously though, it's a general good idea to have no matter where or what. When a cager pulls out in front of you, you need it and want it now.

Aleziel

Reaction score
Visit site
ABS is avaialble in europe since at least the 2007 models,
my guess is that since america is a very poor market for japanese motorcycles, they get the leftovers.

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
ABS is avaialble in europe since at least the 2007 models,
my guess is that since america is a very poor market for japanese motorcycles, they get the leftovers.

You may be right. We're obsessed with Harley's here. They don't do a thing for me I have to say. I agree with the original poster though. All bikes should have ABS available.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
My 04 FJR has ABS and I love it. Really sucks we can't get the FZ6 ABS in the states. My guess is Yamaha wants to keep the cost lower to be competitive with the other brands, and perhaps they think we Amercian buyers wouldn't want or pay the extra cost for it.
I would in a heart beat.

sjryser

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You want ABS...all you do is adjust the brake lever down until it contacts the handlebars before it fully applies the front brakes, presto ghetto ABS!

.......:justkidding:

Seriously though, I have been riding for about 6 weeks and i would of liked them once already when a school bus pulled in front of me! At this pace I am going to need ABS like 9 times a year, and if ABS saved me from dumping even one of those times, sign me up! Let's start a petition or something.

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
I know that the ABS FZs are in europe, which baffles me why they arent here. honestly all they hae to do is have it as an option and when i want a new fz, add it at the factory and ship the mofo here. Because ABS is uncommon in sport bikes sans honda now I may end up getting a K1300S as my next bike. Oh well, guess my dad was right when he said only europeans get it right.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
maybe the theory is that riders shouldn't be riding hard enough to need it on the street.

Also the European version of the FZ6 IS offered with ABS, just not in the states... weird...

But riding hard has absolutely nothing to do with the need for ABS.

You can lock the tire at 20mph just as you can at 70mph.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
My guess is Yamaha wants to keep the cost lower to be competitive with the other brands, and perhaps they think we Amercian buyers wouldn't want or pay the extra cost for it.

Hit the nail on the head. Remember that the FZ6 was marketed as a bargain, not a fully loaded bike. Look at our suspension.

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
the CBR is not a budget bike like the FZ6...put the price tag of ABS on the FZ and you'll start getting closer but raise the price a lot

But the fact that ABS is on a pure race bike which is all about weight savings etc and not even an option on a bike that is aimed toward being on the road, which is where ABS is actually needed, is what kinda irks me. Hell I cant remember the last time I was on a track and thought "Damn I wish I had ABS" but it was only yesterday on my FZ when I thought "Jesus! If I had ABS I coulda stopped a lot easier!" They can keep the price the same for the standard one and have ABS as an option. You cant use the excuse that it would be too expensive when they already make the freakin parts; I would pay up to 1500 for ABS, but no more than that. When I was looking at an R1200GS ADV for kicks and giggles I asked the guy if they ever sold any bmw without abs that had the option and he told me that they dont even order non-abs models because noone will buy em. I understand that if your lookin at a BMW you usually have more money but at the same time I think many people would buy the ABS option. Would you buy a budget car without ABS if it was an option? I doubt it, so why not pay the extra money for ABS on a budget m/c? I think there are A LOT more people that want ABS on a fz than Yammy either does or wants to realize. Just because I want ABS in the worst way, I know FOR SURE Yammy wont get my money next time unless they make it available. Dont get me wrong, I love my fz, but at the same time, Im only 19 and Im not ready to die yet so ill gladly pay 1500 to slim the chances down a bit.

Aleziel

Reaction score
Visit site
throughout Europe the ABS option costs about 500 euro more, I really don't think there is any sort of price strategy behind the chopped line of bikes that appear on the states, if I remember correctly there isn't even the FZ6 available in the states (naked version) and that definitely not a price strategy since the naked version is about 300-400 euro cheaper than the fared one (at least in Greece.
not to mention the fact that were talking about an OPTIONAL version...

Last edited:

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Dont get me wrong, I love my fz, but at the same time, Im only 19 and Im not ready to die yet so ill gladly pay 1500 to slim the chances down a bit.

So what's stopping you from doing a swap? It would be the first (that I know of) and it would be a pretty cool thing to do.

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
So what's stopping you from doing a swap? It would be the first (that I know of) and it would be a pretty cool thing to do.

because i live in a barracks at a naval base. granted my garage is the size of a parking lot, its tough to close the door and lock everything up. After working on my dads BMW R1150GS ADV i now have a TON more respect for BMW mechs than i did before. If thats as simple as they could make it for the ABS then there is no way in hell id be able to install abs on my fizzer.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Huh? My FZ-6 came with an ABS, but I replaced it with a Gel seat. Damn, that Ass-Bustin' Seat just about killed me, and the ABS on the Honda (which i test-drove) was even worse, couldn't walk for a week!

What's that? ABS stands for Antilock Braki....

Never mind...

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Huh? My FZ-6 came with an ABS, but I replaced it with a Gel seat. Damn, that Ass-Bustin' Seat just about killed me, and the ABS on the Honda (which i test-drove) was even worse, couldn't walk for a week!

What's that? ABS stands for Antilock Braki....

Never mind...

:rof::rof::rof: