Poor Bike Downed by the snow mover

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bad news : bike knocked off by the snow mover - and it ain't snowing here(yet)!!!!!. And even more frustratingly, I am at work - and will be getting back home only in the night to do a damage assessment.

The vehicle that knocked the bike was hired by our Apartment for the snow moving - so they gave me a call to get permission to remove the cover to take pictures of the damages. As of now, I can see via my IP cam that it is set back on its side stand again - and not much damage from the way it looks. But the concern is - "how did BOTH the mirrors break off when they were kept in a folded position?"

My friend was there when the pictures were taken, and he said it was just the mirrors that broke and not much damage sustained by the bike. Are there specific things I need to check - other than the cosmetic damages and a quick ride around to find the issues this fall might have caused? - its scary to think of all the things that could have gone bad - wheels,tires,frame/sub-frame/forks/tank :( , - the knowledge of two broken mirrors is just making it feel really bad. I just want my Fz6 back the way it was!!!

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
The vehicle that knocked the bike was hired by our Apartment for the snow moving - so they gave me a call to get permission to remove the cover to take pictures of the damages. As of now, I can see via my IP cam that it is set back on its side stand again - and not much damage from the way it looks. But the concern is - "how did BOTH the mirrors break off when they were kept in a folded position?"

That sucks man!

I'd say with the mirrors, that is weird but maybe I can venture a guess.

The cover was tight enough to grab on the down side, and as it was falling the cover moved more or less than the rest of the bike, and the mirror on your upside was what got stuck in it?

Or.

Snow mover hit the mirror on one side with a tailgate or something similar, hard enough to push it over, which probably would have broken the mirror.

Looks like they'll be taking care of it, so do a thorough examination of everything, especially the fairing stay (those tend to get bent easily, surprising considering how heavy they are). It'll be obvious if it's bent because the distance between the fairing and tank on each side will be different/touching/look off.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bummer :(

Typical things that get scratched / bent / damaged in a tip-over:
mirrors
fairings
fairing stays
bar ends
levers ( hand and foot )
foot pegs

Highly unlikely that there will be any damage to frame, wheels and fork.

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have frame sliders? they will help prevent a lot of damage to things like the tank, side pods etc. but if the impact to knock it over was hard enough there is a possibility they caused the frame to crack.

They seem to save a lot of bikes in a standstill tip over and if this was a gentle bump which caused it to tip over you should be fine, but if the vehicle really whacked it and sent it down with some power that puts a lot of strain on the frame.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+ 1 on the fairing stay.

Just get the bike on a level surface and put it on the center stand. While sitting on it, if its bent, look straight shead, you'll see the entire fairing crooked one way or the other. If you can't see any difference, you should be good.

BTW, the mirrors attach to that inner fairing stay. While your under there for mirror replacement, the black headlight assembly is held on with 4 wide head phillips head screws. They attach to fairly small tabs that tend to break off easily with a tip over. Just gently put a screwdriver on them. It'll be very obvious if the tabs broke..

If you look also at the space between the tank and the inner black fairing, if those are off, you have issues.

Sucks, but at least they didn't leaving you hanging (no info, etc)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear that...

FWIW: it takes less than 10 min to remove the entire fairing.
Allen caps; remove inner fairing 3 parts.
Left side, disconnect the two harnesses.
Turn the bars full left and with a 12 mm socket and 4" extension, remove the two bolts holding the fairing stay to the frame at the steering head. REMOVE the bottom bolt first, then while doing the top hold the fairing up. Extract the top bolt and walk away.

Total access for inspection and mirror replacement.
picture.php

Notice two bolts here on the frame and the connectors.
picture.php

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was on a group ride a couple of years ago and the guy riding in front of me dumped over after a car pulled out and stopped short in front of him. As I rolled up the guy in the car had gotten out and was trying to help my buddy lift his bike....gripping the mirror stalk....SNAP!
My buddy yelled at him to get the fk away from his bike...prob what happened to yours....

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Raj, sorry to hear about this. If I can get over there this weekend, I'll help give it a once over:thumbup:

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
....gripping the mirror stalk....SNAP! .....

That's what might have happened. I checked the bike just now and found both mirrors snapped off right at the fairing - maybe he first tried to lift the bike holding the mirrors which broke off.

As of now, the damages are mostly cosmetic - broken mirrors - torn bike cover(holes at all the spots the bike touched ground), dislocated handlebar (hope it is not bent)broken inner fairing plastic, small dent on the right side of the tank and most probably bent stay like previously suggested. It was dark when I checked it, will check again in the morning to take some pictures for insurance purposes. The leasing office has been following up with me since morning and I think they would do their part in getting the bike fixed. Hopefully it is just a matter of time before the bike is back to its original self(we do get replacement fairing parts, right?).

Raj, sorry to hear about this. If I can get over there this weekend, I'll help give it a once over:thumbup:

Thanks Joe, you are helpful as always :thumbup:!!! I think I will be able to get the bike fixed without much issues, - we can plan a ride once the temps get around 50s again.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re the fairing stay, just get a new one. It pretty sturdy but its (IMO) extremly difficult to bend back.

All the parts should be available new.

I replaced almost you whole list(not the handle bars), parts only(several years ago were over $1,300.00 (bough the bike used, laid down)

Last edited:

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Any updates Raj?
It's my daughters B-day this weekend so I cant make it out there.

Thanks Joe, I think I will be alright. Do convey our wishes to your Daughter on her birthday!!!! Enjoy the day with family!!!:cheer:

As far the insurance claims - I did not carry collision coverage - so I guess the other vehicle will have to pay for the damages(right?).The insurance guys are supposedly "looking into" the case and I will get more updates on Monday. Hopefully I will be able to get the fixes done next week. Till then, its too cold(and salty roads) to ride anyway.

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Latest update:

After a really loooooong time - the insurance got the estimates from the shop - about 3500$!!! And they want to declare it a total loss - for two broken mirrors, a dent in the tank and broken plastics in the fairing!!

How do you guys suggest I go about it?
- take the money and go get another bike(not sure how much they value it now)
- get the insurance to pay for the parts and fix it myself?

I really like my bike and would like to keep it means a little work myself.

And if I intend to keep my bike after fixing it - will the title be affected, will it be converted to a salvage title?

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Latest update:

After a really loooooong time - the insurance got the estimates from the shop - about 3500$!!! And they want to declare it a total loss - for two broken mirrors, a dent in the tank and broken plastics in the fairing!!

And if I intend to keep my bike after fixing it - will the title be affected, will it be converted to a salvage title?
I'm not 100% on the title issue, but a few people have kept the bike and repaired it. My thinking is with it being this time of year you could find another fz6 for that chunk of change:don'tknow:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Latest update:

Your talking about $1,200 in NEW parts alone(tank, fairings, mirrors, etc). If you can do the labor yourself and BUY the bike from the insurance company for cheap, might be worth it.

Offer them $350 for the bike, (their sending to a parts yard for cheap), so $3,500 minus $350, a check for $3,150, you keep the bike and all those parts will be BRAND NEW! Ask to just leave the title in your name and cut you a check..(not sure how that works)

My bikes on its third tank, third fairing (thanks to the PO), etc.. As long as the frame isn't bent, cracked, forks bent, wheel bent, shouldn't be bad.

Their totaling the bike includes labor at $? an hour (not cheap) and are just getting out as cheap as possible, book value.. You know what you got, how it runs, it'll just have a bunch of new parts on it and look brand new!!

Last edited:

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Joe, Scott. I will get to know the final settlement that the Insurance guys to agree to, and will take a decision based on that.

And in case they total the bike - can I keep my after-market parts?

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Joe, Scott. I will get to know the final settlement that the Insurance guys to agree to, and will take a decision based on that.

Same deal, if you need help we can fix it here or there:thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I'd pull the aftermarket stuff (and of course put the stock or something back if possible). I would think their giving you book value for a STOCK BIKE.

Unless you specifically pointed out a $1,000 set of exhaust pipes on the bike and that's included in the the $3,500, I'd be pulling them and put the stock muffler back on. The insurance company likely won't care.

Again, the insurance company is going to scrap/ salvage the bike for dirt cheap. They don't want it, they just want to settle and save as much $ as they can for themselves. If you give them the same or more than they would get otherwise, that would save them towing, time and effort getting rid of the bike, etc..

Good luck, it'll work out for you...

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies guys :thumbup: . Insurance called up today and will be paying off for the damages. Like Scott mentioned, I will get the bike back to fix it myself.

Looks like I might just get the bike fixed before the riding season starts!!!:cheer: