Power Commander PC-V on my 2006

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I just installed the Power Commander V on my 2006 FZ6 and hooked up the speed sensor wire as well to get all gear mapping working. Seems to be working like a champ. Right now I have the Two Bros map installed with 6th gear midrange slightly decremented to save fuel. Haven't ridden the bike yet but set the TPS and speed sensor output to the PCV software and all seems to be good. I did have to bump my idle up quite a bit (it was idling around 700-800rpm).

I hope to get a few miles on the bike tonight and I'll report how it "feels" later.

Shiloh

Squire to Lord Bouche
Reaction score
Visit site
I just ordered the PCV today for my 09. SO I will be looking with increased interest in your comments and results, Thanks....

Andy

knightrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed my PCIII yesterday and it sure is sweet. Not really extra power (maybe a touch), but more smooth engine and it eliminated the popping on deceleration. Engine braking isn't as severe. It's a good upgrade for smoothing the ride out. My bike just seems to be idling and reving a lot better, seems to clear it's throat better. A touch more aggressive throttle. Tomorrow will be the Ivan's Smog Block Plates install.

I also had to up my idle speed after install. It pretty much did the same thing for me - dropped the idle down and it needed upping about 400 rpm or so. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

You're lucky - the PCV looks even nicer with more features and options. Let us know your thoughts after you get a ride in.

Last edited:

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
odd that you needed to change the idle speed, perhaps too much/too little fuel now at idle? I'd play with the maps a bit before adjusting the idle screw.

That is a definite no-no. The maps are all "0" change at 0% TPS. So stock settings will be used. Why the idle change? I dunno but bumping it back to where it should be worked just fine.

I rode 30 miles or so after work tonight and I must say that I am eating crow. All these years of preaching CO mode and downing the Power Commander have come back to bite me in the neatherregions. The bike is noticably stonger especially in the midrange. Not only that, but the first gear roll on acceleration tire float has become a wheelie instead (unless I adjust my seating position to weight the front even more than normally). Most of the popping is gone with the exception of decel while at about 5% TPS which is gonna require dyno time to figure out.

The gear position map appears to be working as it should as the bike is very tame (as it was before) in the range I adjusted on the 6th gear map for highway fuel economy but once the revs rise past the region I tampered with, the lightswitch is flipped and the torque returns. Pretty neat feeling the difference.

Shiloh

Squire to Lord Bouche
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, that sure makes me feel I'm doing the right thing.

In prep for my PCV, I downloaded some software for the Laptop, and it was a newer version than what I had download a few months ago, Version 1.0.3.2 of the Laptop software and discovered a new function on the File drop down menu to import PC III maps into PCV. That should help with the issue of this exhaust, etc. Just a FYI

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Well, that sure makes me feel I'm doing the right thing.

In prep for my PCV, I downloaded some software for the Laptop, and it was a newer version than what I had download a few months ago, Version 1.0.3.2 of the Laptop software and discovered a new function on the File drop down menu to import PC III maps into PCV. That should help with the issue of this exhaust, etc. Just a FYI

Hadn't seen that little gem yet. The software I was using was several months old (installed and mapped while at work using our tuning PC). I'll have to look at that.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hadn't seen that little gem yet. The software I was using was several months old (installed and mapped while at work using our tuning PC). I'll have to look at that.

Good to hear you're getting good results from the Power Commander. I also have the PC-V but haven't installed it yet but will be when the bike is ready, and then it goes on the Dyno.

Hellgate (Pete) mentioned in a thread about the PClll to PC-V map conversion. Very cool in addition to the other new features the PC-V has.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
That is a definite no-no. The maps are all "0" change at 0% TPS. So stock settings will be used. Why the idle change? I dunno but bumping it back to where it should be worked just fine.

I rode 30 miles or so after work tonight and I must say that I am eating crow. All these years of preaching CO mode and downing the Power Commander have come back to bite me in the neatherregions. The bike is noticably stonger especially in the midrange. Not only that, but the first gear roll on acceleration tire float has become a wheelie instead (unless I adjust my seating position to weight the front even more than normally). Most of the popping is gone with the exception of decel while at about 5% TPS which is gonna require dyno time to figure out.

The gear position map appears to be working as it should as the bike is very tame (as it was before) in the range I adjusted on the 6th gear map for highway fuel economy but once the revs rise past the region I tampered with, the lightswitch is flipped and the torque returns. Pretty neat feeling the difference.

I thought maybe you had installed a map that had some fuel tweaks at low load..IIRC some of the "off the shelf maps" do this.

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I thought maybe you had installed a map that had some fuel tweaks at low load..IIRC some of the "off the shelf maps" do this.

you know what? That isn't too bad an idea. I may tweak around on the 0% low rpm parts and see if I can smooth my choppy idle. Bike isn't stock so why should the idle tune be stock?

knightrider

Reaction score
Visit site
mine showed 89 stock then went up to 93 with exhaust then to 96 with a tune.

Now that is impressive. So do you have the Cat Eliminator or is your Cat still installed? If you have your Cat removed you should do the smog block off plates too.

Here's the FZ6 ones. I got Ivan's but Graves are the same and these say all years of FZ6 - Graves Smog Block Off Plates

Fizzer600

Reaction score
Visit site
so has anyone dynoed there s2 bike with exhaust and cat removed with smog plates fitted???

postman brought my smog plates and power commander v this morning :D

soon to be fitted to my 09 plate that has leo vince system (with cat removed)