Power Commander & Coolant Temperature Sensor

boylin

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, I've bought a power Commander for my FZ6, fitted and it all works fine. However I'd like to set up the coolant temperature with the PCV, so I've connected a wire to the 'analogue' port on the PCV and connected it to the green/white wire as per the instructions and it sort of works.

I need to set up the 'engine temperature configuration' in the PC software but I don't know what data to fill the table with. I connected a multimeter to the coolant temp cable and the voltage from cold to 80'c seems to range from 0.300v to -0.200v. Does anyone know what data to fill the config table with for the engine temperature settings?

Thanks

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Because this is a piggyback unit I'm going to say that is not needed as the OEM ECU is already doing that compensation. If your ambient temps there climb high like consistently into the 95° - 115°F this may have its use but the factory ecu is already adjusting for air and engine temps.

You might go the PC website and look for a download or call/write them.

If I were to call, I'd ask about fuel enrichment based upon the engine vacuum vs temperature. Using it in the fashion could gain you throttle response during FAST throttle open transitions. Ask them if it can be used in that manor.... Again, oem ecu is already doing this, but depending on your desire, it could help you hotrod the little 600 even more!

boylin

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info. The reason I want to hook up the engine temp is because the PCV can run the engine fuelling differently when it's cold, so it warms up faster.
I can't figure out how to check the voltage of the engine temp sensor as I said before that the voltage when running seems to range from 0.3v to -0.2v but the software won't allow for negative voltages.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW: to have an engine warm up faster implies running it lean (this makes heat vs being rich which can cool an engine), the downside is a cold engine will likely hesitate and/or stall if too lean.

Most all of the engine sensors operate on 5vdc. The exceptions are the two temperature sensors that are 2 wire impedance driven. The others being 3 wire / TPS, Speed, Vacuum, Tip-over, but even tho they have 5v in, the output is not always scaled from 0 - 5v.

That said, there is no usable voltage present at the temp sensors as the ecu is looking at resistance or impedance from sensor output to ground. To use the temp sensor in that maner would require an op-amp to scale the sensors output from 0 to 5vdc to make it an input for your FC. Basically you can not just tap into that sensor and get the desired results. You need a small circuit to do this.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info. The reason I want to hook up the engine temp is because the PCV can run the engine fuelling differently when it's cold, so it warms up faster.
I can't figure out how to check the voltage of the engine temp sensor as I said before that the voltage when running seems to range from 0.3v to -0.2v but the software won't allow for negative voltages.

How are you coming up with a negative voltage? What is the output signal from the ECU to the temperature sensor that you might be measuring? I would think the temp sensor is a thermistor. The test for the temp sensor is a resistance test (x100 ohm on the meter) which leads me to believe you should not be seeing negative voltage. Additionally, if you were to going to chart the changes in the sensor to relate to mapping I would think you would be looking at current. For example you might look at the current for your cold engine thermistor current reading to your target warm engine thermistor current reading and create the compensation for your map cells for your warm up period. :)

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps it is the FC inducing this, whereby it is loading the circuit?? But ya, there should not be negative voltage present. It is a blackbox which we know little about tho.

Do a search for Op-Amp and read up. They offer very high input impedance, supply rails that are compatible with wild swings (8 to 15vdc) and could offer a scalable 0 to 5v output.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Straight from China China.... :thumbup: how can you go wrong there....
You should scower Digikey and see what comes up.