Pricing for a 2006 FZ6

seanalan329

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm currently looking in to buy a 2006 FZ6 and just wanted to get some opions on what I should pay. I also want to add that this would be my third bike but my second used purchase. My first bike was new '07 Night Rod Special, then I went to a free CX500 project bike that was turning out nicely until it was stolen. Now I'm on the market.

I have my sights set on a 2006 FZ6 with 36,600 miles. It's naked w/o any turn signals, and it has carbon fiber head light with Renthal handle bars. New chain and fresh oil. It was laid down with a dent in the tank and some scratches. Also the forks seals need repair and it will need a new rear tire.

So with all that what do you think a good price is?

Here is the ad post:
2006 Yamaha fz6 2800 or trade

Koozi

Reaction score
Visit site
$2k is probably closer to right, or maybe even high.

You will be the 3rd owner, no telling how it was maintained by at least 2 other people.

Fairly high mileage, will need tires. How about brakes, sprockets, chain.

The job someone did making it naked is not the best. No screen hiding the wiring to the speedo and ignition. Is that headlight sufficient to allow night riding? Is that tag legal there?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
That's a pretty crappy looking naked conversion. That headlight looks like it's off a 1950's motorcycle, spray painted factory exhaust shroud, tires look shot. 36K miles is a ton for a sport bike, especially when most 2006 FZ6's for sale have between 5,000 and 15,000 miles on them. Also it's naked because clearly the owner crashed the bike and destroyed the fairing like many naked bikes which is why it has a dent in the tank.

If you like the way to looks it might be worth $2,000 but if you want to get a new headlight conversion and the fact that the tires are shot I can't imagine paying more. I've seen several 2006-2008 FZ6's in my area for for about $3,000 this spring with ~20,000 miles and all stock and in great shape with good tires.

Last edited:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I would give 1500, no more. Like everyone has said, that has been used and abused. The naked conversion looks pretty botched together, and 36000 miles on a bike that was owned by a guy who probably didn't care much about the bike, judging by the conversion, dented tank etc - is a sign of other problems. I've seen 06s with a third the mileage going for 2800-3500 - in good condition, with all of the stock parts.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I wish my 06 only had 36k miles.

Your miles went on with love though (I'm guessing) lots of pampering, oil changes, and ritual cleanings.

Based on the pictures - I'd rather have a bike from any heavy user of the forum (chevyfazer not included, sorry bro but you rode that bike hard) with more miles than this bike.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I have 27,500 on my 2006 and the bike runs perfect and is in good shape. I have all stock parts and it would be rolled back to stock if I were to sell it. If I were to put up for sale I would probably ask $2500 and accept $2100 to $2200

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with all of the above. As a Tucson resident, I am always looking at our Craigslist motorcycle listings, and have seen this one numerous times. I always think the same thing: "That's a turd." I have seen a lot of FZs and this one looks about as bad as any I have seen. Proceed with caution.

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
Your miles went on with love though (I'm guessing) lots of pampering, oil changes, and ritual cleanings.

Based on the pictures - I'd rather have a bike from any heavy user of the forum (chevyfazer not included, sorry bro but you rode that bike hard) with more miles than this bike.

Curious since I'm not familiar with the situation, but what constitutes him "riding the bike hard" as you say?

TopPud

-Matt-
Reaction score
Visit site
I would give $1200-1500 tops. Honestly I wouldn't even spend my hard earned money on that as quoted above "turd". I also concur with what every one else said about the bike..condition, tires, etc.. but Good luck on your search! The fz6 is a fantastic bike and this forum is just as good as the bike!!

jroar

Reaction score
Visit site
2800 is crazy for that bike not to mention the left side of the bike has damage. I talked to the owner today to see more pictures and the high-point on the left side of the tank is completely smashed in. Plus i got the age old story of "the old owner did it, but he just dropped it standing not crashing." lol

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
$2,000 would be a pretty good deal I would feel good about. If it were my bike I'd ask $2,500 and maybe take $2,250 minimum. It's a decent bike. 36k miles is not very much for a sportbike either IMO. ****, most people I ride with have at least that and much more.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Curious since I'm not familiar with the situation, but what constitutes him "riding the bike hard" as you say?

I'm making assumptions because I don't know anything about the specifics of it - but everything I've ever experienced with buying/selling bikes has shown that people who try to sell bikes in this condition are generally not responsible. If they're not going to take the time to fix up the bike before selling it, they probably haven't been religious with the oil changes, other fluids, chain maintenance or any of the important stuff.

fire561

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm no where near Tucson but I just bought an 09 with 5k miles and I love it. If you want to casually ride around town or on back roads its great for that, but when you want to crank back on the throttle and haul some ass it's got plenty of get up and go. Good luck on finding a bike you can't go wrong with an fz6

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
Curious what you decided to do. I see lots of FZs for sale in the Tucson/PHX area. I picked up my immaculate '06 with a little over 5k for $2750 in Sierra Vista. This is a good market for used bikes because of the base there.

Any luck?