Profiling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wrightme43

Today we are asked not to profile anyone for anything. Absolutely No Profiling! Consequently we have become so insulated from reality.

Pause a moment, reflect back, and take the following multiple choice test These events are actual events from history.. They really happened! Do you remember?

HERE'S THE TEST - GOOD LUCK!!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]1. 1968 Bobby Kennedy was shot and killed by:

a. Superman
b. Jay Leno
c. Harry Potter
d. Muslim male extremist between the ages of 17 and 40

2. In 1972 at the Munich Olympics, athletes were kidnapped and massacred by :

a. Olga Corbett
b. Sitting Bull
c. Arnold Schwarzenegger
d. Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40

3. In 1979, the US embassy in Iran was taken over by:

a. Lost Norwegians
b. Elvis
c. A tour bus full of 80-year-old women
d . Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40

4. During the 1980's a number of Americans were kidnapped in Lebanon by:

a. John Dillinger
b. The King of Sweden
c. The Boy Scouts

5. In 1983, the US Marine barracks in Beirut was blown up by:

a. A pizza delivery boy
b. Pee Wee Herman
c. Geraldo Rivera

6. In 1985 the cruise ship Achille Lauro was hijacked and a 70 year old American passenger was murdered and thrown overboard in his wheelchair by:

a. The Smurfs
b. Davey Jones
c. The Little Mermaid

7. In 1985 TWA flight 847 was hijacked at Athens , and a US Navy diver trying to rescue pa ssengers was murdered by:

a. Captain Kidd
b. Charles Lindberg
c. Mother Teresa

8. In 1988, Pan Am Flight 103 was bombed by:

a. Scooby Doo
b. The Tooth Fairy
c. The Sundance Kid

9. In 1993 the World Trade Center was bombed the first time by:

a. Richard Simmons
b. Grandma Moses
c. Michael Jordan

10. In 1998, the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania were bombed by:

a. Mr. Rogers
b. Hillary Clinton, to distract attention from Wild Bill's women problems
c. The World Wrestling Federation

11. On 9/11/01, four airliners were hijacked; two were used as missiles to take out the World Trade Centers and of the remaining two, one crashed into the US Pentagon and the other was diverted and crashed by the passengers. Thousands of people were killed by:

a. Bugs Bunny, Wiley E. Coyote, Daffy Duck and Elmer Fudd
b. The Supreme Court of Florida
c. Mr Bean

12. In 2002 the United States fought a war in Afghanistan against:

a. Enron
b. The Lutheran Church
c. The NFL

13. In 2002 reporter Daniel Pearl was kidnapped and murdered by:

a. Bonnie and Clyde
b. Captain Kangaroo
c. Billy Graham
[/FONT]
No, I really don't see a pattern here to justify profiling, do you?

So, to ensure we Americans never offend anyone, particularly fanatics intent on killing us, airport security screeners will no longer be allowed to profile certain people.. They must conduct random searches of 80-year-old women, little kids, airline pilots with proper identification, secret agents who are members of the President's security detail, 85-year old Congressmen with metal hips, and Medal of Honor winner and former Governor Joe Foss, but leave Muslim Males between the ages 17 and 40 alone lest they be guilty of profiling.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think terrorists can be all colours, creeds and ages.

IRA, Spanish Basque - just a couple.

We have just become more aware.

A Muslim male doesn't mean terrorist.

There is good and bad in all people.

C-bus Biker

Reaction score
Visit site
I would also recommend the following: If a Muslim male extremist between the ages of 17 and 40 who happens to be on a watch list, recently turned in by his father fearing that he may, indeed, be a Muslim male extremist between the ages of 17 and 40 should happen to attempt the purchase of a one-way ticket on an international flight to the US without checking any luggage, we should.... just maybe.... search him instead of the 80 year-old with the hip replacement. The profiling doesn't even have to be racial, but more behavioral in nature. I'm no expert, but the Isrealis seem to have it down pretty well. They are kind of a target over there and, being in the middle east, likely have lots of middle easterners traveling through their airports between the ages of 17 and 40. PC will be our demise. Sometimes feelings get hurt.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I would also recommend the following: If a Muslim male extremist between the ages of 17 and 40 who happens to be on a watch list, recently turned in by his father fearing that he may, indeed, be a Muslim male extremist between the ages of 17 and 40 should happen to attempt the purchase of a one-way ticket on an international flight to the US without checking any luggage, we should.... just maybe.... search him instead of the 80 year-old with the hip replacement. The profiling doesn't even have to be racial, but more behavioral in nature. I'm no expert, but the Isrealis seem to have it down pretty well. They are kind of a target over there and, being in the middle east, likely have lots of middle easterners traveling through their airports between the ages of 17 and 40. PC will be our demise. Sometimes feelings get hurt.

Couldn't agree more. Israel's intelligence is second to none in the world.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I got 'em all right except for #7! (didn't remember about the Athens details)

I agree---we can't "ignore" pieces that keep on turning up just because they're 17-40 year-old Muslims. Cops profile vehicles for drug running, immigrant smuggling, seems to me that same principle applies to people. I mean, if I'm an airport screener today and I see: Muslim-looking 17-40 year-old male, 80'ish-looking granny, brat-looking 12 year-old, smartly-dressed mid-aged business woman, who I am going to consider #1 potential terrorist? Duh! Screw the critics complaining about racial profiling. Sometimes, you got to risk "hurt feelings" and put public safety first. Might terrorists try to get around profiling? Sure, then screeners, in turn, try to revise. Who are we trying to kid?

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
Sure, profiling's essential. It goes on already, even though they may pretend it doesn't.

What's interesting about the cases below is the disparity more than the similarities.

1. 1968 Bobby Kennedy was shot and killed by:

a. Superman
b. Jay Leno
c. Harry Potter

None of the above. Sirhan Sirhan was a Palestinian Christian.

a. Olga Corbett
b. Sitting Bull
c. Arnold Schwarzenegger

Palestinian terrorist group Black September (Sunni)

a. Lost Norwegians
b. Elvis

Iranian Shia Revolutionary Students

a. John Dillinger
b. The King of Sweden
c. The Boy Scouts

Hezbollah (Shia), sponsored by Iran.

a. A pizza delivery boy
b. Pee Wee Herman
c. Geraldo Rivera

Hezbollah (Shia), sponsored by Iran

6. In 1985 the cruise ship Achille Lauro was hijacked and a 70 year old American passenger was murdered and thrown overboard in his wheelchair by:

a. The Smurfs
b. Davey Jones
c. The Little Mermaid

Palestinian Liberation Front (Sunni)

7. In 1985 TWA flight 847 was hijacked at Athens , and a US Navy diver trying to rescue pa ssengers was murdered by:

a. Captain Kidd
b. Charles Lindberg
c. Mother Teresa

Hezbollah (Shia), sponsored by Iran

a. Scooby Doo
b. The Tooth Fairy
c. The Sundance Kid

Libyan Intelligence.

a. Richard Simmons
b. Grandma Moses
c. Michael Jordan

Sunni extremist Ramzi Yousef, who had previously bombed a Shia shrine in Iran.

a. Mr. Rogers

Egyptian members of Islamic Jihad (Sunni)

11. On 9/11/01, four airliners were hijacked; two were used as missiles to take out the World Trade Centers and of the remaining two, one crashed into the US Pentagon and the other was diverted and crashed by the passengers. Thousands of people were killed by:

c. Mr Bean

Al Qaeda supported Saudis (Sunni)

a. Enron
b. The Lutheran Church
c. The NFL

The Taliban (Afghan Sunni)

a. Bonnie and Clyde
b. Captain Kangaroo
c. Billy Graham

Al Qaeda in Pakistan (Sunni)

The problem with a 'one size fits all' approach is that it overlooks the distinct differences between organisations. This is detrimental, because if you don't actually know anything about who is trying to blow you up you have a significant handicap in trying to stop it.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
1. 1968 Bobby Kennedy was shot and killed by:

a. Superman
b. Jay Leno
c. Harry Potter

a. Olga Corbett
b. Sitting Bull
c. Arnold Schwarzenegger

a. Lost Norwegians
b. Elvis

a. John Dillinger
b. The King of Sweden
c. The Boy Scouts

a. A pizza delivery boy
b. Pee Wee Herman
c. Geraldo Rivera

a. The Smurfs
b. Davey Jones
c. The Little Mermaid

7. In 1985 TWA flight 847 was hijacked at Athens , and a US Navy diver trying to rescue passengers was murdered by:

a. Captain Kidd
b. Charles Lindberg
c. Mother Teresa

a. Scooby Doo
b. The Tooth Fairy
c. The Sundance Kid

a. Richard Simmons
b. Grandma Moses
c. Michael Jordan

a. Mr. Rogers

c. Mr Bean

a. Enron
b. The Lutheran Church
c. The NFL

a. Bonnie and Clyde
b. Captain Kangaroo
c. Billy Graham

Damn, I KNOW I've won this one....what do I get, what do I get!?!?!?!?

:spank: :rolleyes:

Regarding your final comment wrightme "So, to ensure we Americans never offend anyone, particularly fanatics intent on killing us, airport security screeners will no longer be allowed to profile certain people.. They must conduct random searches of 80-year-old women, little kids, airline pilots with proper identification, secret agents who are members of the President's security detail, 85-year old Congressmen with metal hips, and Medal of Honor winner and former Governor Joe Foss, but leave Muslim Males between the ages 17 and 40 alone lest they be guilty of profiling. "

Its proper order to randomly check everyone going through airport security which includes everyone even the presidents men. They of course wont leave muslim men alone...god no...but if they are seen carrying out random checks with other people then it'll be grand.

You also said that these people are intent in killing you americans...em...you invaded their country and have killed more civilians then they ever did...so I don't agree you can look on it as a one sided argument. The americans are as bad as they are, only you do it for the greater good and they do it for their crazy ass ideas of what their god asks of them. Different people, different upbringing and absolutely different ideals. But at the end of the day, both sides are killing the innocent so I don't see any difference in terms of guilt on this one.

Last edited:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
My impression that the extreme Muslim fanatics will cheerfully board a crowded school bus or a packed airliner and blow it up along with themselves is because they want to take out as many "infidels" as possible. It's more of a fanantical religious belief than anything else. Osama Bin Laden, himself, said that the reason for which he did 911 was to get back at the USA for stationing infidel US soldiers on Saudi soil. Both the radical Sunnis and the radical Shiites will blow themselves up in suicide bombings. It's more over religious arguments than anything else, isn't it? (I hope this doesn't turn into a bar fight)

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
The Sunnis and the Shia spend as much time blowing each other up as anyone else. There really aren't any useful parallels between the aims of a Palestinian terror group in the 70s, Colonel Gaddafi in the 80s, an Afghan farmer who feels he's being invaded and so joins the Taliban, and a revolutionary Shia movement in Iran that is deperately trying to cling on to power. All have completely different objectives. Address the root cause of those objectives and you can solve them; lump them together in 'them or us' mode and you'll lose.

It's interesting to note that it's only the Fundamentalists - Islamic and Christian alike - who seek to portray this as a war of religion.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
It's interesting to note that it's only the Fundamentalists - Islamic and Christian alike - who seek to portray this as a war of religion.
I'm not even religious, much less "fundamentalist." I don't know about you, but I can't condone deliberately blowing up civilian airliners, school busses, etc., no matter what the reason because it's not a good one.

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not even religious, much less "fundamentalist." I don't know about you, but I can't condone deliberately blowing up civilian airliners, school busses, etc., no matter what the reason because it's not a good one.

I didn't mean to imply that you were. Only that Al Qaeda want to portray events in the Middle East as part of a war against Islam, so they can drum up support among mainstream Muslims for their cause, and the more extreme Christian groups want to portray all Muslims as terrorists for their own peculiar reasons. Unfortunately the media too often fall into this trap and end up playing along.

Even so, you have to wonder about the wisdom of starting a war in Iraq when the leaders of the two main western nations involved both claim to have a personal hotline to god.

Last edited:

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
Even so, you have to wonder about the wisdom of starting a war in Iraq when the leaders of the two main western nations involved both claim to have a personal hotline to god.

not to debate the justification of the war in iraq but everyone had the same intelligence at the time. and everyone was confident of that he had WMD. so before you start painting this picture keep the context of the time in play. i'll find quotes if you'd like.

also, i don't know so i ask with all sincerity... did bush say he had a personal hotline to God? can you point me to the quote? i know he said he prayed.

i pray and try my best to be led by God. does that make me a nutcase?

btw, i'm not for any war. i've never heard any christians say we are in a religious war. but as you pointed out, you'd have to ignore what the attackers have said themselves to think that they don't believe they are in a holy war.

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
not to debate the justification of the war in iraq but everyone had the same intelligence at the time. and everyone was confident of that he had WMD. so before you start painting this picture keep the context of the time in play. i'll find quotes if you'd like.

I don't want to debate Iraq particularly either, but it's far from true that 'everyone was confident he had WMD'. We're having a big enquiry into exactly that at the moment here in the UK, and a lot of people resigned because the justification for war simply wasn't there.

also, i don't know so i ask with all sincerity... did bush say he had a personal hotline to God? can you point me to the quote? i know he said he prayed.

Bush was quite remarkably public about his religion, given his position. In fact Googling 'Bush God Quotes' brings up an abundance of statements about how he was guided by a higher power. Here's an interesting one:

According to Abbas, immediately thereafter Bush said: "God told me to strike at al Qaida and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East. If you help me I will act, and if not, the elections will come and I will have to focus on them.
`Road map is a life saver for us,' PM Abbas tells Hamas - Haaretz - Israel News

i pray and try my best to be led by God. does that make me a nutcase?

Of course not, and I respect your, and everyone else's beliefs. But you weren't planning on invading any Muslim country any time soon, were you? Because questions might well be asked in that situation.

btw, i'm not for any war. i've never heard any christians say we are in a religious war. but as you pointed out, you'd have to ignore what the attackers have said themselves to think that they don't believe they are in a holy war.

I'm afraid there are a great many who are less tolerant than yourself:
American Christian Fundamentalist Leader Calls For Global War By Yoginder Sikand

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally I think this thread belongs in the political section. It will turn into a no one's right pointless thread.
Now that its riding season it would be nice to have some riding related threads?

Nelly:thumbup:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My impression that the extreme Muslim fanatics will cheerfully board a crowded school bus or a packed airliner and blow it up along with themselves is because they want to take out as many "infidels" as possible. It's more of a fanantical religious belief than anything else. Osama Bin Laden, himself, said that the reason for which he did 911 was to get back at the USA for stationing infidel US soldiers on Saudi soil. Both the radical Sunnis and the radical Shiites will blow themselves up in suicide bombings. It's more over religious arguments than anything else, isn't it? (I hope this doesn't turn into a bar fight)
Aren't all wars over religion?.....

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
Profiling?

As an intelligence analyst I'm quite familiar with looking for things that are out of the ordinary, something off or not quite right. It could be a pattern or the lack of one. Race, color, or nationality may or may not be a factor, it greatly depends on the situation. However, on the flip side of that, previous knowledge about a subject allows us to come to conclusions. That being said, we can not ignore statistics.

So, when someone is going thru that security line, that TSA officer is hopefully trained in recognizing those tell tell signs. If it just so happens that the majority are of a certain race, color, etc. that can not be avoided.

For those that don't know any better, security is an inconvience when nothing is wrong. As soon as something bad happens, everyone is screaming that security was not tough enough. We tend to forget very quickly, everyone wants to go back to the way things were. That will never happen.

Finally, most people don't understand so many things about all of this but of course there are millions of opinons based on hear say, rumor, and some facts. KNOWLEDGE, KNOW THY ENEMY, KNOW THY SELF.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Personally I think this thread belongs in the political section. It will turn into a no one's right pointless thread.
Now that its riding season it would be nice to have some riding related threads?

Nelly:thumbup:
Well, why don't you start a non politics (and I'm not sure that this is even so political) thread? It's obvious from the title what the subject is about, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.