Random Dying- Wiring Gremlin?

BigBendBiker

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2005 fz6 with 18,000 miles. Lately it has developed the oddest problem! Only after it warms up, it will randomly die. not stall like it isn't getting fuel, but it's EXACTLY like the kill switch is flipped. If it does this while moving, the bike will/might restart. But it's gotten worse and it can hardly idle once it's warmed up. It seems that if I toggle the kill switch back and forth once it starts dying frequently, that it stops (dying) for a good long while. Other troubleshooting info I can think of:
  • I don't believe it has ever died while accelerating (twisting the thottle)
  • It only does this after it is good and warmed up.

Things that come to mind are bad kill switch, bad connection somewhere, bad kickstand position sensor, bad ignition, or a wire insulation failure where it is grounding to the frame. I was hoping somebody else might have previous experience with this sort of thing? Feel free to ask any questions. I appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I have a 2005 fz6 with 18,000 miles. Lately it has developed the oddest problem! Only after it warms up, it will randomly die. not stall like it isn't getting fuel, but it's EXACTLY like the kill switch is flipped. If it does this while moving, the bike will/might restart. But it's gotten worse and it can hardly idle once it's warmed up. It seems that if I toggle the kill switch back and forth once it starts dying frequently, that it stops (dying) for a good long while. Other troubleshooting info I can think of:
  • I don't believe it has ever died while accelerating (twisting the thottle)
  • It only does this after it is good and warmed up.

Things that come to mind are bad kill switch, bad connection somewhere, bad kickstand position sensor, bad ignition, or a wire insulation failure where it is grounding to the frame. I was hoping somebody else might have previous experience with this sort of thing? Feel free to ask any questions. I appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

It's a very good bet the kill switch itself is going bad. That switch 'opens' the main power line to the entire ignition system when the switch is used. Current runs through it all the time to keep a relay engaged. When the contacts 'break', the circuit opens and deactivates the relay.

There's a history of older FZ6s suffering this..... I know of at least 3 or 4 that this has happened to in the past year.

BigBendBiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. I wonder why they changed the kill switch design from the way it used to be where it would just ground the circuit. Ohwell. Well honestly I hope it's just the kill switch. Can you recommend a place to buy a replacement switch/relay?

And believe it or not, in looking for the VIN number, I noticed the manufacture date was 10/04. So.... I guess it's not an 05 and all, but rather a 2004. Which WOULD make it subject to that TPS recall I believe? But I haven't experienced any of the other TPS symptoms. Any words of wisdom there?

Thanks again!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
As I understand it, if the TPS recall has been performed on your bike there should be a punch mark above one of the characters on the VIN label. If not, getting it done for free is a cheap form of insurance.

Mfg date is often in the year preceding the model year. You can decode that to see what the mfg thinks it is, by figuring out the code. That can be 'googled' if you are interested.

As far as a short term fix, you may want to try wedging the rocker switch to one side or the other of the slot the switch rides in. That's been known to work as a 'fix'.....

BigBendBiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! I shimmed the switch with folded paper and that seemed to fix the problem. So I guess it's safe to say I need to order a new switch. Thanks!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
The contacts in the switch housing are almost certainly a copper beryllium strip, with a point contact on the rocker switch.... the reason shimming the switch to the side works, is because that moves the contact onto a part of the strip that is not 'burnt'.

You might be able to scuff the strip, to reduce/remove the 'burn'.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also you might bypass the switch temporarily till you get a new one.

BigBendBiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everybody. I cleaned the switch up, and that helped a lot. after another 100 miles it started to flake out again. So I just need to replace it. Does anybody know of a vendor that could offer a two day order turnaround?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everybody. I cleaned the switch up, and that helped a lot. after another 100 miles it started to flake out again. So I just need to replace it. Does anybody know of a vendor that could offer a two day order turnaround?

Don't know the turn around time but off the top O my skull ronayers.com

Remember you can tie those two wires together and ride till you get the new one. I never use mine.....