Rear Axle Nut Left or Right

Dela

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a new set of tires put on a few weeks back and just noticed that
the mechanic put the rear axle nut onto the right side instead of the left.

Can this have any negative effects on the axle or spacing on either side
or is it safe to leave as is?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's probably fine but you might insure your chain tension is correct as well as wheel alignment being properly set.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Rear Axle Nut on Right

As stated it should be fine. The quality of the self-locking nut should not allow it to back off.

However, there is a reason for it being installed from left to right VS right to left. The wheel spins CLOCKWISE and "IF" the nut should get loose it could spin the axle *which could* loosen the nut.

That said, the S2 versions retain the axle pretty well as its keyed to a block to prevent rotation and perhaps keep the tool count low as you only need to loosen one nut to perform maintenance.

Again, it should be fine, but attention to detail matters during vehicle repairs so keep your eyes open!

Dela

Reaction score
Visit site

Thank you all, my mind is now at ease.

I may just change it back next time I have it on the paddock stand, it will force me to do chain tension and alignment. I wont have any worries after doing that

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Thank you all, my mind is now at ease.

I may just change it back next time I have it on the paddock stand, it will force me to do chain tension and alignment. I wont have any worries after doing that

If its an 07, block the nose so the bike can't go forward (fall off the stand), with the rear tire raised, place a block under the rear wheel to "fill the void" neither lifting it or leaving a gap, swap the axle and now as you tension the nut, place your knee on the tire pushing it FIRMLY ahead to seat the square blocks on the bolt-stop adjusters.

Tighten the nut and you won't have to adjust anything "assuming its properly set and Seated now". :thumbup:

Just double check it!