Relay or splice for fz6n dual LED headlights?

sensory_tentacles

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
I'm coming back to a dual dominator LED headlight mod I was planning to replace my 6n's single globe.

I see much talk around forums recommending use of relays for single to dual headlight projects but I'm wondering if I can splice the two LED together?

I read there could be a voltage drop in a splice. I don't want material impact to light output.

I've used a relay in my accessories circuit but I only understand them in the context of cutting power at key-off
I'm unsure of how they work in the context of a dual headlight conversion.

LEDs I'm eyeing off are 36w ea.
Thanks!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The headlamp circuit already incorporates a headlamp relay. That relay is not active until the engine has been started. It is fine to use this relay and associated wiring for your LED project.

Most of the headlight mods using a relay or wire, are for the faired dual headlight OEM FZ6 bikes. These bikes do not provide the needed headlight switching and require a relay or wire (bd43) that shuts off the low beam filament in H4 type dual filament lamps when the high beam is active to reduce premature failure.

If your bike was an OEM setup with a single lamp for a headlight, it was likely a dual filament lamp and has the proper high/low beam switching already. This means you should have a black with green tracer wire for low beam and black with yellow tracer for the high beam. There will be a black wire for ground. These wires should be what you have for your headlamp now. :)

When you get done take us some pics!

Last edited:

sensory_tentacles

Reaction score
Visit site
There is a short circuit blowing the tail fuse and cutting the front and rear indicators, headlight parker lights, and rear light (but not rear brake light).

I have removed everything on that circuit which I added before the short (new indicators, parker lights for two new dominator headlights) and it continues to blow the tail fuse.

I'm wondering if the short melted a bit of wire somewhere in the loom and is causing a short.

Everything but the front indicators worked before the short circuit. I had spliced in new indicators into the old indicator wire after removing the front headlight.

This seemed to have caused a short and blown the tail fuse.

Except the fuse continues to blow even when nothing is connected to the indicator wires, or if I reattach the old headlight and indicators.

I have also removed parker lights which were spliced in to the old parker light wire. The new parker lights worked without blowing the fuse.

My splices seem fine. But I'm confused as to why it continues to blow a fuse with everything removed.

The new headlights, sans the parkers, work fine. A second headlight fitting was spliced into the first.

Any ideas or ways to find the fault? Do I as I suspect need to cut into the loom and check all the wire in the circuit associated with the blowing fuse?

A couple of pics but I don't expect the. To be enlightening.
IMG_20190928_002658.jpg
IMG_20190928_002711.jpg

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is that blue with a red tracer wire that is attached to a brown wire, What is that brown wire attached to? Don't slice anything open yet! OiOiOi!!!!:rockon:

Also: Find your flasher relay and unplug it to see if that stops the fuse from blowing. If you have not replaced any blown fuse with other than the original rated fuse you should not have overheated a wire in the harness.... To be honest, blowing fuses is not really the best test procedure.

If the headlamps don't work they should not work unless the engine has been started, so in the excitement of the other malfunction you may think the headlamps are not working because you didn't test them with the engine on. The computer keeps the headlamp relay off until the engine starts.

Last edited:

sensory_tentacles

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Giro, you're a legend.

I had thought of the flasher. I'll unplug it and see what happens :)

Headlights work a treat.

[video=youtube_share;CwK0-7mBTao]https://youtu.be/CwK0-7mBTao[/video]

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking at a schematic now.. Hold tight...Okay I'm Back Lol!

Since you've pulled the flasher relay that switch and that part of the harness are in active. This leaves high probability it's the running light circuit.

You're now looking for a lighter gauge blue or blue with a red tracer wire that has probably been tied to ground somehow. This is the running light circuit but it is the same fuse for the directionals/flasher etc. Those wires are not being used up front right now and should not be connected to anything. If they are, disconnect them. Go to the tail lamp. There should be a dual filament bulb. Remove the bulb and inspect that there are 2 filaments that look connected. Bulbs have been known to pop a filament and create a short internally in the bulb. Next you should look the see if your harness has touched your rear exhaust and possibly melted and shorted to ground. It could even be pinched.

Don't worry. I know you'll find it and when you do you'll be aggravated how simple it was. Happens all the time....

Last edited:

sensory_tentacles

Reaction score
Visit site
"Don't worry. I know you'll find it and when you do you'll be aggravated how simple it was. Happens all the time...."

bloody hell. yep, completely right. rear harness wiring. :)

tidying up looming and ill post the results!