Renthal Handlebar + HVMP bar ends + Oury grips

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally finished my aftermarket handlebar setup.
Went with Renthal Ultra Low Road Handlebar + Oury Road grips + custom mounted HVMP heavy weight bar ends (intended for Suzuki bikes).
Bar is lower than stock and much straighter so it makes for a more aggressive riding position and gets rid of the painful sweep angle of the stock handlebar.
Between the aluminum bar, cushy Oury grips and the HVMP bar ends (13+ ounces each), vibration is pretty much non existent!

If anybody is looking for a way to mount HVMP bar ends on the aftermarket bars (my setup will work with 12-13mm internal diameter), or any other Suzuki bar ends (though I highly recommend HVMP... fantastic quality and they're as heavy as they come for maximum vibration reduction) let me know.

Last edited:

knightrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice! They don't touch the gas tank at full lock turn do they? Was thinking about new bars but am afraid of getting the wrong ones.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice! They don't touch the gas tank at full lock turn do they? Was thinking about new bars but am afraid of getting the wrong ones.

They don't even come close to the tank.
I should mention that I trimmed the bar about 1/2" on each side because I didn't want it to be too wide :)

YamaSpeed

Dartmouth Ambassador
Reaction score
Visit site
I really like the look of this mod. I think that this style of bar is exactly what I need to do to my bike.

Yamaspeed

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
ok great
but how do the bar neds fit in? the stock ones are threaded
when ichanged my bars i just bought a tap and madea new thread

q, why the hell do you all want a more "arrgesvie" riding posi?
you only get half a sports feel anyways as the foot controls are toruign style not sports

the fz6 is a sports tourer bike and benifits from the wider taller bars
hell my new bars are wider and taller than stock and works awesome

if you want the riding posi of a sports bike buy 1

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ok great

you only get half a sports feel anyways as the foot controls are toruign style not sports

Correct.. stock bar ends are threaded (M16 x 1.5 pitch). I didn't want to tap stock bars if I could avoid it (aluminum isn't the strongest material in the world and taking that much material out is not ideal).
I used a combination of modified expanding nuts, plastic spacers and long 1/4" bolts. I can easily pull the entire setup out without any modification the the bar itself. Doesn't sound like you're asking for actual details of what I used, so I won't go into it.

I didn't want a more aggressive position. What I wanted was to get rid of the sweep angle of the stock bar. It doesn't matter what you replace the stock bar with.. if you go with less sweet, you WILL have to lean forward more (many call this position "more aggressive"). Sure you can offset that with offset risers, but that's a matter of personal preference.

Really? Isn't that like saying "if you're going to buy a bike and modify it, you bought the wrong bike." ?
It IS possible to modify this bike to have a full-on sport riding position (clip-ons and aftermarket rearsets). If someone wants to do that, more power to them.. who are we to tell them they shouldn't? :D

I was looking for a more comfortable riding position (for ME) than stock setup provided and I got exactly what I wanted.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
so does these new bars lower your riding position a little?

It does not. It just stretching me out more than stock.
Imagine you were to take stock bars and just push forward on the grips hard enough to the point where you change the sweep angle (how far they bend back).
That's exactly what you get with this setup.. basically like straightening out stock bar. So they're not much lower, but the grips are farther forward.. away from rider.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They look GREAT! Well done! I can see how it changed the angle... much better on the wrists now?

Did you happen to take a pic of both the stock and new bars side by side while they were off?

:cool:

YamaSpeed

Dartmouth Ambassador
Reaction score
Visit site
ok great

Because people come in different shapes and sizes...

Yamaspeed

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They look GREAT! Well done! I can see how it changed the angle... much better on the wrists now?

Did you happen to take a pic of both the stock and new bars side by side while they were off?

:cool:

Definitely better on the wrist, but it's actually my upper back that used to hurt with stock bar. That pain went away immediately once I made the switch.
I didn't take a side by side pic.. I kind of moved controls over immediately without having everything off both bars at the same time, but I can sum up the differences:
- Renthal has about 1/2" less rise.
- Renthal has no downward sweep (if you look at stock, you can see that it bends both back AND down... Renthal just bends back without bending down at all).
- Renthal has much less back sweep (looking down at Renthal vs stock, I'd say there's a 4-5 degree difference in back sweep).
- Renthal is wider than stock, but it is very easy to cut to desired width.

I can still take side by side pic, though it won't be as clear as having both bars off the bike

wiscofz6

Reaction score
Visit site
nice mod... looks good im envious.
say a guy would like to put the medium renthal bar on there instead of the low bar, bring the bars up a bit more... do you think there was enough cable/housing to make the extra height of the mediums?
thanks

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi

Didn't the bar ends come in package as this with complete fitting set?

http://www.hvmp.com/images/universal/install_heav_universal.pdf

No. I specifically stated that I ordered bar ends for Suzuki, NOT the universal model. Universal model will not work with Renthal bar or most other aluminum bars. They are meant for slightly larger internal diameter.. I believe it has to be 14mm or larger. Renthal is 13mm and most other aluminum bars are 12mm.
Suzuki-specific bar ends just come with long bolts and lock washers.