Repeated Threads - Please search first

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We're getting a lot of repeated threads at the moment :shakehead:

Just a friendly note reminding you all to use the "search post" or "search thread" option BEFORE starting a new thread.

Reviving old threads is a good idea, if the topic is related to what you want to know :D

We seem to be getting a lot of threads at the moment asking the same old questions, so, to ensure you get a good response from our most experienced members, please check first :thumbup:

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, must be your first year on a long standing forum? It happens every year around riding season. It's something you'll learn to get used too.

In September I start counting the "how to store my bike" threads and in march the "my bike has been in storage" threads. Around
May-June the "I crashed" threads get abundant. Oil threads are popular year round! The "which tire" thread is also a top ten.lol

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, must be your first year on a long standing forum? It happens every year around riding season. It's something you'll learn to get used too.

In September I start counting the "how to store my bike" threads and in march the "my bike has been in storage" threads. Around
May-June the "I crashed" threads get abundant. Oil threads are always popular year round! The "which tire" thread is also a top ten.lol

Lol! Was thinking exactly the same thing.....

My favourite is the old Oil thread...always gets hackles lifted!

:D

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

May-June the "I crashed" threads get abundant. Oil threads are always popular year round! The "which tire" thread is also a top ten.lol
Is it that obvious? :eek:

Does my head in .....

I have no patience these days :D

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
I find it quite amusing reading the oil and tyre threads.(Synthetic/Regular is my fav)

I suppose their are only so many things you can talk about,before threads are repeated.

Thats when you start getting into the 'What toothpaste should I buy for my Dog?' Threads,because no one can think of anything else to post that hasn't been posted before :D

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I find it quite amusing reading the oil and tyre threads.(Synthetic/Regular is my fav)

I suppose their are only so many things you can talk about,before threads are repeated.

Thats when you start getting into the 'What toothpaste should I buy for my Dog?' Threads,because no one can think of anything else to post that hasn't been posted before :D

Every seasonal / motor-sports forum I've been involved in has an abundance of 'seasonal repost' It used to drive me nuts as a moderator/admin. It's best to just ignore them if you get annoyed. Some one will answer just about any valid question.

The other bit is now that the FZ6 is no longer made, new members will be newer riders as the bike's price settles down into the $3000 - $2000 US range. More questions, more 'new to bikes and forums in general'. Even a comprehensive "Information / all you need to know / These questions have been asked before" sticky / section will not stop them. Deep breath, count to 10... :) It is all you can really do.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am a newbie here but I am an "oldie" on many other forums and I own a forum as well. I know some of the "which exhaust is best" and "how do I change my oil" threads get old but as you already know once the newbies stop joining the site and asking for help and learning that is when the site dies off becuase of lack of activity.

I think it discurages new members from participating on a site when they see threads from senior members bashing/complaining about newbies. It gives them an unwelcome feeling and discourages them from posting anything.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Search function doesn't work very well. There is a lot of time spent sifting through results.

Use google. Type FZ6 then whatever you are looking for. Then when you see the FZ6-forum results near the top, hit the "more from this site" button underneath. That's how I do it. It seriously saves a ridiculous amount of time. If I ever spend more than 30 seconds searching for any FZ6 topic, I am looking for something VERRRRY specific. And even then it is very quick.

There is an actual prefix to enter into google when searching but nobody will remember it anyway. For those that are interested it is:

site:600riders.com oil change

...entered into the google search bar if looking for the phrase "oil change".

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Search function doesn't work very well. There is a lot of time spent sifting through results.

Use google. Type FZ6 then whatever you are looking for. Then when you see the FZ6-forum results near the top, hit the "more from this site" button underneath. That's how I do it. It seriously saves a ridiculous amount of time. If I ever spend more than 30 seconds searching for any FZ6 topic, I am looking for something VERRRRY specific. And even then it is very quick.

There is an actual prefix to enter into google when searching but nobody will remember it anyway. For those that are interested it is:

...entered into the google search bar if looking for the phrase "oil change".

thanks, i was not aware you could use google like that!

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
When I read this I almost started a new thread entitled "What's up with all these repeat threads" but then decided not to avoid rubbing anyone the wrong way. But I thought it would be funny to do and create a "new type of oil thread" by ranting about multiple posts.

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am a newbie here but I am an "oldie" on many other forums and I own a forum as well. I know some of the "which exhaust is best" and "how do I change my oil" threads get old but as you already know once the newbies stop joining the site and asking for help and learning that is when the site dies off becuase of lack of activity.

I think it discurages new members from participating on a site when they see threads from senior members bashing/complaining about newbies. It gives them an unwelcome feeling and discourages them from posting anything.
No one is bashing/complaining about newbies here. The post is for ALL members. Many OLD members also don't use the search forum.

This is a friendly forum and there is no newbie bashing here.

Last edited:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hate noobies. They are not welcome in my home. We should ban anyone with a post count lower than 1,000.

Too bad that would just leave a handful of us to fend off the Aussie horde...

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
the only thing worse than a repeat thread is a thread about repeat threads. :D

It will never end...just make the OP aware of the search function without being a jerk and go on your merry way.

I understand the frustration but that's just how it goes :thumbup:

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hate noobies. They are not welcome in my home. We should ban anyone with a post count lower than 1,000.

Too bad that would just leave a handful of us to fend off the Aussie horde...

Oh crap,,, 1...2...3....667..!!!!!..I dont have enough to survive the bans!:eek::eek::eek:

Defyinertia can I borrow some posts?:D

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dennis, is it possible to add a Search button right next to the "NEW THREAD" button?

Peoples may think an extra Nanosecond before pushing the NEWbie button....

Or Maybe for 2 days - randomly change the NEW to Search! :eek: :eek:
Oh the look on our faces!!!! Priceless!

Ya - last one -> 07-12-2010, 07:14 PM