Replaced battery on FZ6

vb7prog

Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced my battery on fz6 today. I had a few questions:

While in diag mode the old battery registered 11.4 and the new battery registers 12.0.

But when I put a voltmeter directly to the batteries themselves they measured 12.4 and 13.2.

1)Is the d09 sensor in diag known to be inaccurate or does the draw of the bike lower the avaiable voltage by that much (diag mode engine not running ?).

When I measured through the battery tender, the new battery indicated 13.19 so I am pretty sure that in the contact region the battery is fully charged, but just not sure why the bike shows a lower voltage?

Also, I tried to jumpstard my bike through my battery tender terminal (somewhat stupid, but almost genius in a way). The battery tender terminal has a 7.5A fuse (I forgot) in between the battery and the terminal, and pretty obviously the fuse shorted out.

2) Why is the fuse there, what is its purpose, the wires of the battery tender are not thick enough to support 300 amps or so coming through ? or is it just for safety and the fact that battery tender would never put out more than 7.5 so no reason not to allow it.

One reason that comes to mind is anti-theft, it would be more difficult to short out the battery through the tender line if no fuse existed ?? shed light ?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced my battery on fz6 today. I had a few questions:

While in diag mode the old battery registered 11.4 and the new battery registers 12.0.

But when I put a voltmeter directly to the batteries themselves they measured 12.4 and 13.2.

1)Is the d09 sensor in diag known to be inaccurate or does the draw of the bike lower the avaiable voltage by that much (diag mode engine not running ?).

When I measured through the battery tender, the new battery indicated 13.19 so I am pretty sure that in the contact region the battery is fully charged, but just not sure why the bike shows a lower voltage?

Also, I tried to jumpstard my bike through my battery tender terminal (somewhat stupid, but almost genius in a way). The battery tender terminal has a 7.5A fuse (I forgot) in between the battery and the terminal, and pretty obviously the fuse shorted out.

2) Why is the fuse there, what is its purpose, the wires of the battery tender are not thick enough to support 300 amps or so coming through ? or is it just for safety and the fact that battery tender would never put out more than 7.5 so no reason not to allow it.

One reason that comes to mind is anti-theft, it would be more difficult to short out the battery through the tender line if no fuse existed ?? shed light ?

The battery tender output circuits are limited and should be well below 7.5 amps of current. The fuse protected the output transistors from over current.

You should measure your battery voltage with the key in the off position. Then start the bike, (no tender) and look at the voltage. You should see 13.9 to 14.1 with the rpms above 3000 rpm. :)