Replacing the drive sprocket - is it safe to put it into 1st gear?

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I searched for drive sprocket but couldn't find what I was looking for in other threads.

I have just pulled the chain off...

When removing/refitting the front drive sprocket, is it safe to put it into 1st gear (or higher) to "lock" the axle in the on/off operation? The nut has to cope 90 Nm (65 ft*lb).

In neutral the drive sprocket of course just spins around.

I'd smack my own face with the torque wrench if I heard something say "cliiing" inside the engine/gearbox, after putting it into gear without asking anyone first! :eek:

I have got the Yamaha Service Manual and looking on page 5-1 with an exploded view of this operation. I can't find any other info about this in the manual.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
The engine may not have enough compression to hold the counter shaft still, even in first gear.

The best method is to use the rear brakes to hold the chain still, so the front sprocket cannot turn. (Obviously, this requires the chain to be on the sprockets....) Drape the chain back over the two sprockets, so your used chain can perform it's final duty with dignity. :)

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Darn then I have to clean that dirty old thing first... :eek:

I knew I was going to change the chain and front/rear sprockets, so before I stashed the bike away during Winther I cleaned everything except the chain and sprockets!

But it sounds like a good idea!

Going to be difficult though because I already forced out one of the pins in the old chain to pull it off. Perhaps I could weld it back together haha I think not!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
You don't need to connect the links, if the chain can 'grab' teeth without the link being made..... try it before you try and connect the chain. If you need to temporarily use your new master link (or even your new chain) it wouldn't do any damage it. It takes many thousands of contact/impacts to do any harm.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll get af friend to hold the 2 loose ends of the chain and see if it works!

Hmm thinking about the way the drivesprocket turns when going forwards... does the nut go on/off like regularly?
Off = Counterclockwise
On > Clockwise