Riding boots for ladies

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just ordered these, picking them up Saturday, I will let you know how they are. I ordered because they were recommended by other ladies on the forum. I am only 5'3"ish.. so I am hoping with my new comfort seat and the boots I will be able to still put the balls of my feet down, as opposed to my tip toes.

I will keep you posted.

Boo

Well I finally got my boots, and gave them a good test. Rode for an hour then walked around for about 5 hours, then rode back home for another hour.. VERY COMFY! Nice to walk in.. the only thing is they are a bit snug in the calf, but I have muscular legs, and they do have a stretchy panel so once I wore them for a while they 'broke' in to my calves.

Deb

Little Red

Opinionated Road User
Reaction score
Visit site
I wear a nice stiff pair of Gaerne all-season touring boots. The model is called the Explorer: they come up just above my mid-shin (I'm 5'10"), they're waterproof, and they have NO ZIPPERS and NO VELCRO.

Once you've owned a few pairs of otherwise-decent riding boots, you'll understand why I'm so hyped about no zippers and no velcro: there's nothing to fail.

When/if one of the ski-boot-style metal clamps decides to die, it looks like I could use elastic or some metal wire to rig up another one. Maybe it'll never be an issue: I've owned these boots for over a year and they're still perfect.

One thing about them: you add the waterproofing. The first time I wore them, I assumed they'd been silicone-treated at the factory. Mistake. Boots full of water. I was disappointed. But when they dried, I sprayed them with silicone spray and I've never gotten damp since.

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: What r u wearing on ur feet?

Here's a link to the review I gave on my boots
f1fd8c8ad4e522071d2ba12ee2442b84_refined.jpg

Icon Bombshells Steph's review

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Okay, so I'm not a girl, but you want to see a nice collection of boots or riding boots for women, try your local Harley Dealership.

The local Harley Dealership here in Vegas, which claims to be the largest one in the world and a "must visit" destination for many tourist, offers a wide selection of boots. They offer the best selection of boots for women in my opinion.

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site

:thumbup: I wear Harley boots - I got them locally. I know what they say about laces but these do lace up and they also zip up the inside of the boot. You only have to tighten them once (though I check the knots every time I ride!) and the zipper makes for easy on/off.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site

I have a pair of Sidi Vertigo's I have had them for 4 years I just had them resoled I love them so much . I can walk around in them a little and they give me good feel for the controls on the bike . They also work well at the track

Fishmac

Reaction score
Visit site

There are way too many options to get too deep into it here. I had a "hiking boot" style boot I used on my V-Star, but it didn't translate as well as I'd like to the world of the FZ.

I just purchased these TCX boots from Revzilla.com. They fit true to size and so far have been very comfortable - plenty stiff. I'm thinking they'll break in a little bit yet and soften up for me. Too early to tell though.

View attachment 14799

Here are a few of the many other options ... none of which are over $130. This REVZILLA.COM store shipped within 1-2 days for free and I received my order within 5 days of ordering (that included a weekend!). Their prices seem to be fantastic too.

ICON Womens Superduty
View attachment 14800

A Couple of different (more plain looking) Alpinestars
View attachment 14801

View attachment 14802

A "River Road" hiking boot style
View attachment 14804

My favorite ... for $125, a womens "Thor" Quadrant boot.
View attachment 14806

The bottom line is anything is better than sneakers. Wear something with some "over the ankle" support and you'll be much better off if you have another "incident" with dropping heavy stuff.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-boots

:thumbup:

howzmyroost

Reaction score
Visit site
Just picked up these...
I love alpinestars...Tech 6s are what I wear for motocross.

3405-00-AlpineStars-One-O-One-Motorcycle-Shoes.jpg

Got them from Performance Cycle of Colorado...Denver.

Last edited by a moderator:

msgirle

Reaction score
Visit site
I have these but they only go up mid calf...they are a bit stiff and not that comfortable to walk in so I actually wear my Nike hiking boots! LOL! They're more comfortable to walk in and add a little height. I'm still on my tippy toes and am considering shaving down the seat a little but we'll see.

What about these ICON boots. Has ladies actually worn these when riding?

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're on your tippy toes - put your left foot down flat and put your right foot on the rear brake at a stop. Far more stable.

Hiking boots don't have a lot of ankle protection. I have a test for when I buy a pair of boots - I hold the sole in one hand and the upper in the other, and try to bend it back and forth. If the boot bends with just my hands, it's not going to do much good when the weight of the bike falls on your ankle and tries to bend it in a way it was never meant to.

I haven't found a pair of women-specific boots yet that pass. I have a pair of Sidi Stingers for dirt riding and first-gen Alpinestars Supertechs for road (the second-gen Supertech Rs don't pass).

Last edited:

Crystal

Reaction score
Visit site
What about these ICON boots. Has ladies actually worn these when riding?

So when I first went to buy boots I looked at these and sales guy and told him there was no way they were practical. I was more about safety then looking good, however he brought up a good point. He said there was a woman who came in and bought them and she was about my height, she came back weeks later and explained how much she loved them because of the heel and added height. I bought them and have to tell you I love them. The heel helps with the height issue and they are super comfortable. :thumbup:

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
Moto and gear salespeople will say anything to make a sale. The Bombshell boots won't do too much good in an accident, hate to say. There's no bracing, no impact protection, and the leather is thin.

There's a myth out there that having both feet flat on the ground is necessary for riding. If it's your first bike, I can see getting something low (and light and cheap) to build your confidence, but it just isn't necessary once you get up to speed (so to speak). As I mentioned above - just put your left foot flat on the ground and keep your right on the rear brake. That technique has let me ride every bike I've tried without issues.

A little leg strength helps, too; riding is a physical activity, and it requires a certain level of fitness to do well.

Keep those Icons for clubbing, and get real boots that will protect you.

Just in case you think I'm coming to this from an Amazonian 6-foot perspective, I'm 5'1" and slight. ;)

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh - just as another data point, I recently wrote to the gal who's taking racing to the big boys - Melissa Paris - and asked what she was wearing, since, as I've mentioned, finding nonsuck boots for women has been a somewhat fruitless project of mine. She's wearing Daytonas - not the half-assed Ladystars, but the Security Evo.

Unfortunately, they don't make them in smaller sizes, so no go for the smaller-footed of us. But if they fit, they'd be on my short list.

(She recently moved to those from Puma V2 race boots, which funnily enough were the boots my hubby wore before moving to the god-I-wish-they-made-them-in-my-size Vertigo Corsa.

For the '09 lineup, Sidi made the Vertigos in women's sizes - the Vertigo Lei. Nice to know that they've finally acknowledged that women, y'know, ride motos, but why make a women's version of one-generation-ago boots and call them 'new?' Especially when they're the lower-end boot rather than the Vertigo Corsa. :rolleyes: )

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I'm a little late to the party, but for my two cents, get a good pair of street boots with shin and ankle protection and a strong sole that will resist compression.

I bought an inexpensive pair of Touring boots and still ended up with a bruised foot when in my opinion I shouldn't have.

While no boot will guarantee no injuries a better boot increases your chances.

Buy the best boot you can afford. For me I went with the Alpinstars SM-X Plus. They are very comfortable and easy to walk in. They were a little stiff at first and took a little getting use to when shifting, but now I love em.

msgirle

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tip! I also have some Alpine stars but I hate that it makes me be on my tippy toes even more...thus the hiking boots for now! LOL! I'm considering lowering the bike an inch or so but am wondering if it will affect the performance of the bike...do you have any ideas? I just don't want to lose any performance so I'm dealing with the tippy toe issue for now!! I do put one foot flat and the other on the rear brake at stops...the bikes kinda heavy for me too. LOL! I love it though but wish it was at least 30 lbs lighter!

If you're on your tippy toes - put your left foot down flat and put your right foot on the rear brake at a stop. Far more stable.

Hiking boots don't have a lot of ankle protection. I have a test for when I buy a pair of boots - I hold the sole in one hand and the upper in the other, and try to bend it back and forth. If the boot bends with just my hands, it's not going to do much good when the weight of the bike falls on your ankle and tries to bend it in a way it was never meant to.

I haven't found a pair of women-specific boots yet that pass. I have a pair of Sidi Stingers for dirt riding and first-gen Alpinestars Supertechs for road (the second-gen Supertech Rs don't pass).

Love Enigma

Reaction score
Visit site

I wear alpine star men's riding boots up to my mid-calf. I feel so much safer and it's worth it, even if it means bringing a ppair of flats in my bag,. =P