Riding in the cold - approaches

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to ride throughout the winter this year (mid-Atlantic US) - I don't like the idea of having the bike sit all winter (tho' I could just take the car). I don't really have any cold-weather specific gear, and I'm loathe to spend a bunch of $ on gear for this - IOW, I'd prefer to figure to figure out the minimal way to get-by, and wanting to see what other people do. My scenario:

- my work commute is short - 15-minutes each way
- commuting (say, casual-Fridays) plus casual weekend rides/jaunts are the most likely scenarios
- I have heated grips, which are awesome, but with the gloves I have, the finger-tips and tip-of-thumb don't get coverage
- I have multiple jackets/pants, but no 1-piece (and not sure I want to invest in that), nor do I have any heated-gear
- I _do_ have 1 port available, usually power my cell/GPS with that (but just not sure I want to go heated-gear route...)

1) Should I just get heavier gloves?
2) Is it worth investing in something like this? No armor, but reportedly keeps you warm.. Firstgear Thermo 1-Piece Suit - RevZilla
3) should I consider something like this instead? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000R57XE4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

Based on your experience, what do you do? and where would you suggest I look to?

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
The Oxford mitts need to be able to be returned if the handle bar ends are fouled with the fairing or gas tank which is likely but otherwise a very good option. The suit is very reasonably priced. Both? 15 minutes is not very long really. I wear a wind proof bandana under my helmet strap which for me is vital. Snug as a bug in a rug as they say. Go to Aerostitch Rider Warehouse called Wind Triangle.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
15 minutes is not very long really. I wear a wind proof bandana under my helmet strap which for me is vital. Snug as a bug in a rug as they say. Go to Aerostitch Rider Warehouse called Wind Triangle.
My commute is about 20 minutes, and like you have heated grips but nothing else, works fine for me. Instead of a bandanna I have a "neck gator" (think that's what it was called), basically a turtle-neck sweater without the sweater (and a TNS would be a fine substitute, if your office Fashion Nazis will allow it). I ride year-round, as long as the roads are clear and it's above 26 F (below that my faceshield frosts over, I haven't found a solution to that).
Tomorrow morning's supposed to be 14 F, I'll be taking the truck, assuming I crawl out of bed at all. :D

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As you stated earlier [MENTION=227]Botch[/MENTION], very different riding in such a drier climate (used to live in CO --> 30 degree weather = short-sleeve shirt). Didn't get the neck-gator/bandanna comments until I saw someone say the stock windscreen directs air directly into neck/below helmet... mine is a Givi, just a little bit taller than stock so never had an issue with my neck - yet. The cheap-solution seems to be the handlebar-muffs. Not sure I could pull the leather chaps 'look' off...

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Haven't experienced any temperatures that prevented me from riding, I ride year round. This picture was taken when I lived back in Idaho a few years ago, the bike was equipped with studded tires, I now live in Reno where it's just as cold during the winter.

20131209_071033_zps73dcb9df.jpg

Notice the safety margin I left myself in the event a vehicle is unable to stop behind me. Actually, lots of options riding a bike in the snow and ice. It's easier to get out of the way vs if you're in a car. Assuming you're paying attention.

G0060233_zps04c795be.jpg

Freezing rain, no problem. Okay, I had some visibility issues with my visor.

Ice.jpg

Helmet-1.jpg

Heated gear is a must! I ride with a heated jacket liner coupled with heated gloves. No heated grips on my FZ. I have found that using mittens that cover the controls is the best solution to keep your hands from freezing. Really makes a difference. It's a bit awkward to get use to. I don't ride with long johns, but my Motoport Airmesh Kevlar is usually enough to keep my legs warm, but the pants also comes with a liner in the event it's bitterly cold. A neck warmer that also covers your face is also a must. Makes wearing your helmet a bit tight, but well worth the minor discomfort.

20131030_182028_zpse1512435.jpg

20131030_181937_zpsfceddcda.jpg

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Long underwear under your regular gear will do wonders (as long as it isn't vented). Someone once told me to wear latex gloves under my riding gloves to keep hands warm (like glove liners). I haven't tried it but worth a try. 15 minutes isn't long but my experience with cold weather riding (and not being properly dressed for it) is that your ability to do basic throttle, clutch, hand brake controls are inhibited, but that's just me (maybe). I'm a girl. I also hate cold weather. Freezing my a** off right now at 30 degrees F and snowing. I also wear a ski mask (baraklava) under my helmet to keep my neck and head warm. That makes for an immense help in the warmth department. Good luck. Let us know how you do.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Haven't experienced any temperatures that prevented me from riding, I ride year round. This picture was taken when I lived back in Idaho a few years ago, the bike was equipped with studded tires, I now live in Reno where it's just as cold during the winter.

20131209_071033_zps73dcb9df.jpg

Notice the safety margin I left myself in the event a vehicle is unable to stop behind me. Actually, lots of options riding a bike in the snow and ice. It's easier to get out of the way vs if you're in a car. Assuming you're paying attention.

G0060233_zps04c795be.jpg

Freezing rain, no problem. Okay, I had some visibility issues with my visor.

Ice.jpg

Helmet-1.jpg

Heated gear is a must! I ride with a heated jacket liner coupled with heated gloves. No heated grips on my FZ. I have found that using mittens that cover the controls is the best solution to keep your hands from freezing. Really makes a difference. It's a bit awkward to get use to. I don't ride with long johns, but my Motoport Airmesh Kevlar is usually enough to keep my legs warm, but the pants also comes with a liner in the event it's bitterly cold. A neck warmer that also covers your face is also a must. Makes wearing your helmet a bit tight, but well worth the minor discomfort.

20131030_182028_zpse1512435.jpg

20131030_181937_zpsfceddcda.jpg

You are cheating Kenny, with all that heated gear and stuff.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We need to meet up at some point. I'm in South Jersey, the most I've needed to ride / commute to work is heated gloves and thermals. My ride to work is about 30 minutes, I'll ride as long as there is no snow. I recommend sedici heated gloves from cycle gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Having the right gear to ride through the winter is a start. But you have to have the right mindset to ride in the cold as well.

You can't ride a motorcycle the same way as you would ride when the temperatures are more favorable for riding. For starters, motorcycle awareness is zero for all drivers simply because they aren't expecting to see a motorcyclist riding in the extreme cold. Be careful cornering, your tires will most likely remain cold, it won't have a chance to really heat up and grip to the surface to it's full potential. Even if the roads are dry, the surface condition could still be slick. Out west, they like to use a lot of de-icer, and it becomes very slick even when the roads are dry, so you cannot get in the habit of goosing the throttle. I tend to rely more on my rear brakes as well since the roads are slick. Don't want the front end washing out.

You also must pay attention to the weather, even the night before. Keep an eye out on the radar, and plan accordingly.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
. I also wear a ski mask (baraklava) under my helmet to keep my neck and head warm. That makes for an immense help in the warmth department.

Plus 1 ^^. I forgot about that..

What I have is basically a nylon type, slip over your entire head, and it covers your neck tucking into your jacket.

Surprisingly, it works very well. Cheap, easy to put on, BUT you do have extreme "helmet hair" after using it...

Soupnutz

Reaction score
Visit site
Where I'm at it doesn't get that cold for that long so down in the lower 40's is the coldest I've ridden in. The biggest issue is blocking the wind. That being said, the most effective piece of gear I have for staying warm is a one piece rain suit. No wind gets through that thing. With it on, I can be comfortable with a thermal, pants/long sleeve shirt, and a hoodie. Also have an Alpine Stars mask. My biggest problem is my hands. I'm too cheap to buy winter gloves. The rubber surgical gloves underneath do help, but mostly I just suck it up. This is with a 40 minute commute.
Haven't ridden much this winter though. Just got my mustang running after 3 years of being down so I've been getting reacquainted with it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Reading ^^^ reminded me as well of another "fix".

Putting on a larger "winter" windshield (if not already), would make a BIG DIFFERENCE just
keeping the wind off your upper torso, neck, etc...

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Decided to do some experimentation before I do anything else. I took the bike out for a ride the other day, was about 34-35 degrees. I bagged the motorcycle gloves and tried my ski gloves instead (sans protection unfortunately). It was better... fingertips took longer to get cold/numb, but it did eventually happen. I could not 'feel' the heat in the heated throttlegrips but I'm sure they helped as well. I already have a slightly-larger (Givi) windshield on - not sure I can go any larger (for my '05) unless I put some sort of add-on, and I'm not fond of that look (I moved away from that/what P.O. had). Still feel no need for a neck-gator or scarf/neck protection, maybe the Givi helps. Had some Scorp Covert Pro kevlar jeans on, legs were decently ok (as long as I hug the bike and get some engine heat transfer. Next step is rubber/latex gloves on the inside, plus might try tights underneath textile pants or kevlar jeans again. Maybe those big handle-bar mittens would be a good middle-step indeed...

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Start with quality light weight base layer. Thin but very warm, so warm you may need to peal them off at work. Something like these Hot Chillys Pepper Skins Double Baselayer Bottoms (Men's) | Peter Glenn

Most ski shops carry good choice of base layer gear or on line shopping. I even have silk glove liners that are so thin but really help any glove be much warmer with out having to go to bulky ski gloves.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Start with quality light weight base layer. Thin but very warm, so warm you may need to peal them off at work. Something like these Hot Chillys Pepper Skins Double Baselayer Bottoms (Men's) | Peter Glenn

Most ski shops carry good choice of base layer gear or on line shopping. I even have silk glove liners that are so thin but really help any glove be much warmer with out having to go to bulky ski gloves.

The ski-clothing is a good idea, I did consider that. I even have my ski pants, as well as merino-wool base layers (polypro too). I did order some handlebar muffs... right now my finger-tips seem to be the worst, so approaching that first and go from there. If I do heated gear, seems silly to have heated throttlegrips _and_ gloves, so I'll save that for any vest/coat (if needed). Of course, today (in Dec) it is 60+ F and rain, but the cold will be back.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally, I hate layering, I can't stand the bulkiness. Using the heated jacket, I just wear a thin long sleeve shirt, the heated jacket and then a good winter riding jacket. I'm good into the teens. Nice and toasty!

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We don't get down to what you'd consider "cold" here in the SF Bay area. For me, heated grips were absolutely huge. Took my comfortable riding temperature down from low 50s to low 40s and I can manage a half hour in the mid 30s if needed without getting too shivery. Freeze-out or similar layer under my pants makes a big difference after that. For longer trips, you can also throw your rain gear on to cut the wind, which makes a bigger difference than you might think. Neck gaiter is nice, but I don't find it necessary at above freezing temps.

I wear wool socks year round. They're awesome, and good for all temps.

I didn't find that latex gloves or silk liners under my riding gloves made a bit of difference in the cold, they just made me clumsier with the controls.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Rode to work this morning, about 30 deg F - the usual setup except tried textile jacket (with waterproof liner zipped in) instead of leather. All was fine except for my finger/thumb-tips, per usual - they hurt for about 30 mins after arrival. Interestingly, after about 10 mins in to the ride, I felt some heat on the inside of my thigh, I can only assume it was heat from the engine - that was a nice surprise. The USPS surprised me and delivered (tonight) my new handlebar muff, so I'll try those on my ride in tomorrow! Excited to see what kind of difference they will make. Once again, no neck gator needed, so - either I have no neck, or the taller windshield is giving he higher clearance there.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What kind of muffs did you get? I can tell you that they work very well with heated gloves. It really cuts out all of the windchill, but it will take a while to get use to using the throttle and controls. You can't use very bulky gloves if you use your mittens.