Riding under windy conditions

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys, sorry I need to vent, its been so windy here up in the north east for the past couple of weeks its been a major PITA.
Any advice other then don't ride?
I do not know how strong the winds have been but I have to continuously fight the drafts...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden with other members here (SoCal) on heavy wind days. The best advice is to slow and give yourself a little more time for compensating. If you are uncomfortable or getting fatigued, stop and rest.

The wind in some areas here will blow a parked bike over. Usually not in town but at higher elevations and parts of the desert.

Check this link out. Zoom in a check out the wind generators. This area of southern California has more generators than any where else I know of and for good reason... Wind. A member and I road rte 62 into Joshua Tree Nat'l Park and the cross winds were brutal.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9159559,-116.5929915,6623m/data=!3m1!1e3

Attachments

• WindGen.jpg
    WindGen.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
blustery conditions are really dangerous- they require lots of concentration and even then, take you by surprise. Depending on the other traffic, you need to decide if riding is necessary. Sometimes the smart decision is to take the car- or just not go out at all.
Now bear in mind I ride 24/7- I don't own a car- so often I don't have much of a choice. but riding and not coming home is not on the agenda- sometimes two wheels just don't cut it- and I get the missus to take me to the train

BE SAFE

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
blustery conditions are really dangerous- they require lots of concentration and even then, take you by surprise. Depending on the other traffic, you need to decide if riding is necessary. Sometimes the smart decision is to take the car- or just not go out at all.
Now bear in mind I ride 24/7- I don't own a car- so often I don't have much of a choice. but riding and not coming home is not on the agenda- sometimes two wheels just don't cut it- and I get the missus to take me to the train

BE SAFE

Thanks, what is considered too much wind? I just did a past weather look up and the winds were at 20mph. It's usually not that bad.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, what is considered too much wind? I just did a past weather look up and the winds were at 20mph. It's usually not that bad.

Only you can make that call. If it scares the **** out of you it's too windy.

My Goldwing is MUCH easier to ride in heavy wind than my supermoto or the KLR.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
yep its up to the rider to decide what is comfortable or not to ride in. It can be as windy or gusty as "get out" ( thats a very aussie term , do't know if the rest of the world identifies) and then you have to change the riding style. keeo away from any other vehicle stay close to the line diving teo lanesgoing in your direction or center of the lane if its only a single. Keep an eye out for what comes from behind, debris blowing across the road. It sounds horrible- but you just need to make a sound decision

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In these parts the wind can blow frequently. Gusts are high and a bulk of the trees are missing branches on windy side.
That said I've ridden in 35mph with higher gusts and found it to be a work out.

I recall a section of twists where the bike is leaned over and those changing the bike lean and thus your line through the corners. Very intimidating.
On the highway at speed, yes it moves you but it didn't seem near as crazy as when leaned over.

Be safe what ever choice you make.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Depends on the conditions and where you’re riding.

I ride a bike which is kind of top heavy and Im tippy toe at best when stopped so whenever it’s windy I must lean the bike over favoring the bike to one side so it won’t tip over. I always must be aware which way the wind is blowing so I can make sure I plant my foot on the correct side. If I don’t the wind can knock me and the bike over.

If I’m riding on the freeway, I always make sure that I position myself within the lane that provides me with the most space in the event I get blown laterally, but never to a point that it blows me into the next lane. If the wind or gust is blowing from left to right and make sure I’ll ocuupy the left portion of my lane. I will always make sure I am in the correct powerband which is one gear down that I would normally ride in. This will allow me to power through the wind when I experience a gust. I apply handgrip pressure by pressing against the direction the wind is coming from while simultaneously rolling on the throttle. You must power through the gust. Keep your eyes on the vegetation and loose debris as they will be indicators on which way the wind is blowing.

Riding in the wind is my 2nd biggest fear while riding a bike because you cannot predict or see when they are coming until Youre already in it.

Last edited:

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
What VegasRider said: if you have to ride through strong blustery wind - DO NOT STOP. Momentum is your friend, without momentum you cannot counteract the forces of the wind. DO NOT ROLL OFF the THROTTLE - apply power and counter steer to counteract the gust; roll off the throttle and the gust will take you with it... Think of it this way: you and a friend are walking shoulder to shoulder. If he starts pushing against you, you have to push back to stay walking in a straight line.

Believe me, I have scraped my boot, almost knee down, on a straight road doing 60 km/h (35 mph) fighting gusts of wind. Very frightening as it feels like the wind is blowing your wheels out from underneath you.

If it gets really bad find shelter and stop, or lay your bike down and lie down behind it.