Roundabout Grand Prix

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Not had the opportunity for a decent ride recently. Had a 'window' this evening so I thought I'd pop out and try my new twin headlight mod. Got as far as a roundabout approx 4 miles from home (on the A4 at Theale). I'd gone round it a couple of times last week but tonight I did about 5 'laps'. then I took off down the dual carriageway that leads off it, round another roundabout and back again. Hey! I thought - this is great. Ended up doing about 30 'laps' of this circuit. Brilliant fun. I wasn't going massively fast just trying my knee down technique and getting used to the bike at almost full lean. the roads were quiet, streetlamps along the whole 'circuit' and there are no junctions so it was quite safe. Took me ages to finally decide I had to leave, I ended up doing about 10 laps of the large roundabout before I tore myself away and went home.

Here's the 'circuit' - runs from the large roudabout in the bottom right to the smaller one at the top. :rockon::rockon::rockon:

When I worked in Nottingham a few years back, I used to take off at lunchtime on my bike and do some knee-downs on a roundabout over the A46. Much like yours but with a lot more traffic - at that time, I used to like bewildering car drivers with my antics. Got back to the office with a big grin on my face, told my colleagues what I'd been doing, they thought I was just mad.

Only ever wore down my rhs kneeslider doing this, so I used to swap them over after a bit. How sad is that?

You must get very good at going around right-hand bends...

There's a great 270deg left-hander coming off the M25/M26 eastbound onto the A21 southbound where you can practice leaning the other way.

A mate of mine bust his spleen when a cagger entered a roundabout and didn't see him coming, he had his knee down too, just take it easy out there :thumbup: I sometimes take a short stint up a motorway (highway) nearby as both the entrance as exit is a gradual 270 degree bend :rockon:

Back