Sat Nav

Where does the USB Charger plug into on a bike? (Sorry if i'm being stupid here!)

My custom cable/ voltage reducer with USB end on it. Hard wired to my powerblock. My GPS also has a battery but I'd rather have it hardwired so I don't have to screw with it while on the road, run out of batteries, etc..

Made by Powerlet (very reasonable $ BTW ) :

Power Cables - Powerlet Products

With the larger unit, which is a touch screen and works fine with thinner summer gloves, I still want the option of using the GPS, to locate the nearest fuel station, certain restaurants, hospitals, etc...

The first two pictures are the actual voltage reducers.

Last edited:
I have an automobile Garmin Nuvi and the same mount as Erci. I have a USB outlet that plugs into my battery tender plug and everything works fine. My only problem is seeing the screen through the sun glare.

Has anyboby found an innovative way to make the screen easier to view?

I have an automobile Garmin Nuvi and the same mount as Erci. I have a USB outlet that plugs into my battery tender plug and everything works fine. My only problem is seeing the screen through the sun glare.

Ah excellent point! Yes, in direct sunlight, GPS becomes just about invisible. I haven't tried to fix this, but some of these may be promising:

ME-IPU: Expandable Sun Shade Visor for 4.3 5 7 inch TomTom Garmin Magellan GPS | eBay

My only problem is seeing the screen through the sun glare.

Being in SW Florida, the sun is very bright and is indeed an issue.

Three things, I found to help alot during the day.

(1)Wearing light colored clothing reflects back into the GPS, especially when your riding into the sun. If I put on my black textile summer jacket, it helps probably 50%.

(2) When I originally made the mount to affix the GPS to the bike it was NON -ADJUSTABLE, big mistake. Why I went to the swivel top part of my GPS mount is so I can adjust the ANGLE of it up or down so the sun is NOT REFLECTING directly off it. Easily adjustable while underway..

(3) Several companies make a sun shade that goes over (usually attached with velcro). The below picture is of my old Garmin Street Pilot III (on my old 2004 FJR) with a hard cover over the controls/screen. This does help when the sun is pretty much above you however, please try wearing a darkish shirt and a light jacket. There is really a big difference, especially if the sun is literally reflecting off your torso. Unfortunatly, the unit works great, is motorcycle specific, has a lockable mount but Garmin stopped map updates for the unit so the information on it is dated...

BTW, I have a similar nylon shade for my current car GPS which helps very slightly (for me) but again, the reflection off your torso was the biggest issue. Making the viewing angle adjustable was the best fix..

The first, non-adjustable was more secure but was NOT worth the glare that came with it.

As a side note, anyone with a decent color marine GPS (I have a Garmin), the screen is made up differently than the bike and car GPS'. You can put that marine GPS in direct sun, at any angle and see the screen fine, absolutly NO issues. I've spoke with Garmin about it to no avail. Until they use that style screen on a MC specific GPS, I'm sticking with this set up...

Last edited:
Go with your innate GPS. Start with a general idea of where your going and drive. If its East, turn on any back road that says East. If its North you need to go then grab a road with a big N next to it. Ask someone for direction when you stop for coffee, they are always more than happy to help you find your way, nice to meet new people. You are on your bike enjoy the journey. Part of the fun is getting lost! Ride my friend, just ride. :thumbup:

Where does the USB Charger plug into on a bike? (Sorry if i'm being stupid here!)

This is the adapter I use

BIKE%20IT%2012V%20%20ACCESSORY%20015.jpg

With the battery where it is on the bike, the quick disconnect cable sits just below my bars so I just unplug it when it's not in use. It's fused so claims it shouldn't drain the battery when not in use but I haven't tested this claim.
Was great for just charging my phone when I went on a camping trip to Wales without the engine on too.

All I would advise is to not order from these guys, they never sent the pictured version, rather one with just a plain cigarette adapter and I had to get myself a plug in usb.

Oh, and the cable is massive so I trimmed it down a whole bunch too.

Go with your innate GPS. Start with a general idea of where your going and drive. If its East, turn on any back road that says East. If its North you need to go then grab a road with a big N next to it. Ask someone for direction when you stop for coffee, they are always more than happy to help you find your way, nice to meet new people. You are on your bike enjoy the journey. Part of the fun is getting lost! Ride my friend, just ride. :thumbup:

Haha that sounds fun actually. I'm only planning on riding for maximum 2 hours really, so not long journeys.

Back